Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
There is a big difference between pre-term labor and miscarriage.

ETA: wait, she had the flu a full month prior to miscarrying? I'm not seeing the correlation at all.

It's very sad but even women with otherwise healthy pregnancies can and sometimes do miscarry late in pregnancy. I personally have 2 friends who miscarried mid and late into their pregnancies with no prior warning signs. I also worked in a prenatal clinic and witnessed several healthy women miscarry late in their pregnancies.
Well since the facts are a bit blurry, and it stated she went to the hospital with pains (not having miscarried yet) and that the tried to SAVE the baby, I am guessing it was pre-term labor. You obviously cannot try to save an already dead baby. So miscarry is most likely an incorrect term. If the baby was alive and they tried to save it, then it was preterm labor and delivery, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:03 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Well since the facts are a bit blurry, and it stated she went to the hospital with pains (not having miscarried yet) and that the tried to SAVE the baby, I am guessing it was pre-term labor. You obviously cannot try to save an already dead baby. So miscarry is most likely an incorrect term. If the baby was alive and they tried to save it, then it was preterm labor and delivery, correct?
The facts are very blurry. How exactly did the flu contribute to her miscarriage if she had the flu a full month prior to this happening?

Why are they calling it a miscarrigae if it was actually pre-term labor resulting in a stillborn?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
The facts are very blurry. How exactly did the flu contribute to her miscarriage if she had the flu a full month prior to this happening?

Why are they calling it a miscarrigae if it was actually pre-term labor resulting in a stillborn?
Why did they say they tried to save the baby, not the fetus (unborn)?

This can go round and round sweetheart, more facts one day will be released. But we all know that her having the flu most likely made her weak, and in a compromised physical state that could have allowed her to catch another virus.

We will know more, but fact remains whether or not it is the flu virus or another one that killed her baby, a virus made her lose the baby and even at 6 months you are not home free while pregnant,

I honestly hope it wasn't something preventable because that will haunt this poor girl. I hope it was some funky obscure virus so her recovery mentally will be easier.

Facts remain though, not receiving the flu vaccine can result in pre-term labor and delivery which can result in death of the baby.

If someone miscarries naturally it is the fetus that was unable to thrive, if you catch something like a disease or a virus, that is a different story.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
"Miscarriage" is a somewhat nebulous term. Some lay people will use it to refer to any pregnancy loss.

The medical term is "spontaneous abortion", implying a loss of a nonviable fetus before 24 weeks gestation. After that, if the fetus dies in utero, the term stillbirth is used.

Preterm or premature labor can result in either a stillbirth or a very immature or premature infant.

There is no way to know for sure the cause of Ms. Allen's loss. The timing and her previous history would suggest that whatever viral illness she had was probably not to blame. It appears that she was not actually hospitalized with the "flu."

Whether it was a "spontaneous abortion" or "stillbirth" would depend on whether she had passed 24 weeks.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,228 times
Quote:

This can go round and round sweetheart, more facts one day will be released. But we all know that her having the flu most likely made her weak, and in a compromised physical state that could have allowed her to catch another virus.

Therefore, SHE killed her baby/fetus because she should have been resting, not running around stressing her body. she should have been resting especially with a history of a previous miscarriage.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:13 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but where are you reading that it is a matter of record that her case of the flu caused the miscarriage?

The flu has never been known to be the cause of miscarriages. Can a Cold or Flu Cause a Miscarriage?

ETA: What about all of these ladies who miscarried after receiving a flu shot. They believe the vaccine caused them to miscarry but I'm guessing that most people would say that it's just a coincidence. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't, no one knows for sure. I just wanted to point out another side to this whole flu vaccines for pregnant women issue.

American Chronicle | Thousands of USA pregnant women miscarry after the H1N1 vaccine
Pregnant women can get very ill, die, and lose their babies with flu. However, it would be unusual for a less severe case to cause miscarriage. :

MMS: Error

Critical illness due to 2009 A/H1N1 influenza in pregnant and postpartum women: population based cohort study -- 340 -- bmj.com

Two of twenty babies tested were positive for H1N1.

The second link repeats a malicious distortion of CDC data. Miscarriages are very common. Th e background risk for miscarriage after a vaccination would be 397 per million women one day after vaccination --- way too soon for a vaccine to cause a miscarriage. It goes to 2780 per million at seven days and 16,684 per million at 6 weeks.

There is a study completed that will tell us the actual numbers, but it has not been published yet. H1N1 Vaccine in Pregnant Women - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

It is a small study and excludes women in the first trimester, because background spontaneous abortion rates are so high before 14 weeks. Surveillance systems have not shown an increased risk of spontaneous abortion from flu vaccine.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"Miscarriage" is a somewhat nebulous term. Some lay people will use it to refer to any pregnancy loss.

The medical term is "spontaneous abortion", implying a loss of a nonviable fetus before 24 weeks gestation. After that, if the fetus dies in utero, the term stillbirth is used.

Preterm or premature labor can result in either a stillbirth or a very immature or premature infant.

There is no way to know for sure the cause of Ms. Allen's loss. The timing and her previous history would suggest that whatever viral illness she had was probably not to blame. It appears that she was not actually hospitalized with the "flu."
Whether it was a "spontaneous abortion" or "stillbirth" would depend on whether she had passed 24 weeks.
I agree. It's very sad but the cause of her miscarriage or stillbirth is unknown. There's no way that anyone can say the the flu or anything else caused this to happen to her.

Taboo, I'm not your sweetheart.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Therefore, SHE killed her baby/fetus because she should have been resting, not running around stressing her body. she should have been resting especially with a history of a previous miscarriage.
You really think so? I don't. Most miscarriages happen within the first trimester. I am certain she thought she was out of the woods, and she was, unfortunately she was exposed to a virus. The only question is if the virus was one with a vaccine available.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
You really think so? I don't. Most miscarriages happen within the first trimester. I am certain she thought she was out of the woods, and she was, unfortunately she was exposed to a virus. The only question is if the virus was one with a vaccine available.
When you have the flu and are not pregnant one of the biggest recommendations is to take it easy and let yourself fully recover. This would go many times over from someone who is pregnant. If she thought she was out of the woods without fully taking it easy for a good amount of time, it is likely her fault. You have to be extra careful with illnesses when pregnant.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:46 PM

Infections of any kind (particularly vaginal infections) increase the risk of pre-term labor in pregnancy. Shouldn't the focus be on maintaining a strong immune system through a healthy diet, adequate nutrition, plenty of sleep and avoidance of stress, etc. rather then just focusing on getting the flu vaccine? It's way too narrow of a focus and gives people a false sense of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting