Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:42 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
She really might need some type of medication to help her focus, if it's that bad.
She may need that, but I still think she needs to very carefully look at environmental issues before going that route; the OP noted in one of the earlier posts that her daughter says they rarely get recess. There's ample research out there to show that getting activity is vital for kids; the "recess not Ritalin" issue sounds like it could fit here.

A useful recent report from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/heal...a-pe_paper.pdf

And an article about the report and some more details about incorporating short bursts of activity into the school day:
David Katz, M.D.: Attention Deficit Disorder: Ritalin Or Recess?

If she's not getting the chance to move around during the school day, then the problem, or at least part of the issue, is with the school, not with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:59 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
If she isn't hyperactive, then she doesn't have ADHD. The H in that stands for Hyperactive. She might have ADD, or, she might just be one of those remarkably brilliant kids who are so above the level of their classmates that they act out as a result of sheer boredom. Or, she might just be chock full of kinetic energy and needs an outlet.

Also, if you have to -schedule- cuddle time, then something's not right. No child should have to make an appointment with her mother for a cuddle. Those should be coming spontaneously, for any reason, and for no reason other than "man this kid is awesome, I gotta give her a squeeze!" I don't recommend scheduled cuddle time. I recommend generous cuddles, any time.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:06 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
She may need that, but I still think she needs to very carefully look at environmental issues before going that route; the OP noted in one of the earlier posts that her daughter says they rarely get recess. There's ample research out there to show that getting activity is vital for kids; the "recess not Ritalin" issue sounds like it could fit here.

A useful recent report from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/heal...a-pe_paper.pdf

And an article about the report and some more details about incorporating short bursts of activity into the school day:
David Katz, M.D.: Attention Deficit Disorder: Ritalin Or Recess?

If she's not getting the chance to move around during the school day, then the problem, or at least part of the issue, is with the school, not with her.
Excellent advice. Thanks for the links.

My son has exactly the same issues. We have steered away from medication, not because we are altogether opposed, but he is on a bunch of medications for seasonal allergies as it is. That's the first thing to exclude. My sons only symptoms of seasonal allergies is noticeable neurological stimulation. He doesn't sleep well, talks a mile-a-minute, almost as if he's ingested caffeine, and absolutely cannot concentrate for even a second during his peak allergies. After 5 years of treatment, we are finally seeing some improvement.

Now on to the exercise, this is a biggie for us, and not just any sport program, but real regular cardio. We bought a trampoline, and before starting homework he jumps for about 30 mins. We set up a mini trampoline in front of the TV, and he jumps on that when he watches TV. Our school has a walk-fit program every morning before school, and he walks fast around the track (or gym) for 20-30 mins every morning before school. After homework every day we play basketball, ride bikes, and go for long walks. He runs twice a week with my husband. On top of that he plays soccer and swims. If we are consistent with the exercise, he does much better at school. It sounds like lots of work, and it is, but it's good for all of us anyway.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:13 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If she isn't hyperactive, then she doesn't have ADHD. The H in that stands for Hyperactive. She might have ADD, or, she might just be one of those remarkably brilliant kids who are so above the level of their classmates that they act out as a result of sheer boredom. Or, she might just be chock full of kinetic energy and needs an outlet.

Also, if you have to -schedule- cuddle time, then something's not right. No child should have to make an appointment with her mother for a cuddle. Those should be coming spontaneously, for any reason, and for no reason other than "man this kid is awesome, I gotta give her a squeeze!" I don't recommend scheduled cuddle time. I recommend generous cuddles, any time.
Not true
What is Attention-Deficit Disorder? Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder? AD/HD? ADD/ADHD? ADHD?

I can't imagine elementary school kids not getting recess every day. There is something wrong there. In my son's class they have "study hall" during recess if they don't finish their work. I wonder if that is happening with this girl.

There is a boy in my son's class that obviously has some issues. Every so often an aid will come take him for a walk. This is what an IEP or 504 plan is for. The OP's child most likely needs one.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:11 AM

736 posts, read 1,694,983 times
There is a book called Women With ADD, that explains how ADD/ADHD is manifested in girls and women. I think it's worth a look, because ADD/ADHD is completely different with girls than with boys. Girls are also severely underdiagnosed.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:17 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I can't imagine elementary school kids not getting recess every day. There is something wrong there. In my son's class they have "study hall" during recess if they don't finish their work. I wonder if that is happening with this girl.
I agree, study hall because a kid can't concentrate or finish their work seems like a poor solution to the problem.

Quote:
There is a boy in my son's class that obviously has some issues. Every so often an aid will come take him for a walk.
There is a kid in my daughter's class who regularly goes walking around the track. Either the teacher sends him, or sometimes he will tell the teacher he needs to go. Seems to work out for them.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:58 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:

I can't imagine elementary school kids not getting recess every day.
Heck, I had an "activity block" during my junior and senior year of high school! You could do anything you wanted. Play basketball in the gym, study, sit with your friends and talk. Me and my girlfriends would "tan" on the quad and chat about our day.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I was another one who did not like sitting in a classroom. I just about kissed the feet of the first college professor I had who took us outside to sit under a tree and discuss American government.

To the OP: Don't rely on one diagnosis. Get a second opinion. Not all kids learn the same way and some are just so bored they act out. I have a brother who could not keep his mouth shut in class. He was also the smartest kid in the school.

Second opinion before you do anything drastic.
Exactly. I suspect private schools have fewer kids diagnosed with a disorder because the work is more stimulating.

Bright children who can learn and obviously are learning but are unable to sit through mundane crap day after day do not need to be drugged. They need an environment that suits them more.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:43 AM

I would also guess that schools in Europe where the kids are at a significantly higher level than those in the USA have much fewer diagnoses of ADD and ADHD. Our pharmaceutical companies are making a killing on all the drugs being handed out right and left.

With my oldest, when he was getting very poor grades - even the bottom grade in an extremely easy public school, I got to the point that I could have considered just drugging him so he could get better grades - when it seems a kid about to flunk out of 6th grade and the child fails even the easiest classes, it can be very frustrating to parents.

Luckily the pediatrician was smart and said that his scores on the standardized tests were too high for him to actually have a learning disorder, he was obviously learning but didn't care about grades. This doctor wasn't a pill pusher - and now that same son is excelling in college taking physics, biochemistry, has finished all his calculus courses with great grades.

Now another son just went from failing just about everything in 10th grade to getting the top grades in chemistry and precalculus in the 12th grade. No drugs - drugs cannot improve an IQ, but drugs can make boring teachers more exciting and make kids sit and behave like good zombies.

What seems to have turned around this other son is better teachers and a different kind of math program where they can work at their own pace, so in a very short time, he's gone from being the worst math student to the top.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Sounds like my whole life. Though I am not ADHD.I just can't pay attention. Sitting in school is awful when the rest of the world is so much more interesting. Sometime if I am getting distracted I go to the bathroom just to walk around and it helps a little.
Parents should look at their own ability to sit through 3 hours boring meetings before jumping to the drug solution.

Some people can sit for hours and listen to the same thing over and over, or a bunch of boring stuff. Others get antsy after about an hour and have to get a change.

Some people are multi-taskers, it's just the way their minds work. Some people might do better in a quiet room with no distractions doing their math drills, but others have brains that need the interruptions.

The other problem for the more active brains, the multitaskers, their minds will drift off to what is more interesting. So they may be paying attention to the teacher, the kid behind them, the birds outside the window and the fly on the wall. But if the fly on the wall is more interesting than the teacher, they will stop paying much attention to the teacher and then not have understood the assignment at all. So now they have to do the assignment, they don't know what it is and it's just too bad that the teacher was the most boring thing around.

Give them a more hands on classroom, a dynamic teacher and they'll still pay attention to the teacher, and to the kid behind them and the birds outside the window and the fly on the wall but now the teacher holds some of their attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting