Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times

Advertisements

It'll be fine. Be grateful that your daycare watches for stuff like that.

Similar thing happened to a chiropractor of mine. He and his wife went to a New Year's Eve party. He was designated driver, she enjoyed the evening with a whole lot of alcohol. They came home and went to bed. She was still pretty tipsy. When she got up to go to the bathroom she stumbled and her head nailed the corner of the nightstand, gushing blood everywhere.

He did the prudent thing and took her to ER to get stitches. The hospital was required to contact the police. The police separated them and questioned them. The stories matched and they were sent on their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 11:28 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

And in most states, they cannot question your child without your knowledge and permission, without a court order. I have first hand knowledge of that fact in Florida and I was given the brochure here in Texas, when Child Services interviewed us about an incident involving a neighbor and their child.
In Texas CPS sometimes does let parents know they will be talking to the child, but they do NOT have to have permission from the parents to interview the child. However, they must notify the parents within 24 hours afterward that they have done so.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 AM

119 posts, read 517,729 times
They did attempt to talk to my daughter before they talked to me. The CPS worker told me that they asked her where it came from and her response was "Ummm...ummm...ummm..." This is the typical response from my DD when it comes to something she doesn't remember or know. She said that since she wasn't able to talk with them, they needed to talk to me about it and find out what happened.

I did take her to the doctor yesterday to make sure that it was documented that I DID take her. I didn't feel that she needed to go, but wanted to cover myself since the social worker recommended I take her. There was a raised bump within the bruise and it is a hematoma. The doc said it was fine and will dissipate on its own.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Old 11-04-2010, 01:01 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconzemius View Post
They did attempt to talk to my daughter before they talked to me. The CPS worker told me that they asked her where it came from and her response was "Ummm...ummm...ummm..." This is the typical response from my DD when it comes to something she doesn't remember or know. She said that since she wasn't able to talk with them, they needed to talk to me about it and find out what happened.

I did take her to the doctor yesterday to make sure that it was documented that I DID take her. I didn't feel that she needed to go, but wanted to cover myself since the social worker recommended I take her. There was a raised bump within the bruise and it is a hematoma. The doc said it was fine and will dissipate on its own.

Thanks again for all the responses!
Truth be know, the poor little think COULDN'T remember how she got it, OR...if she told the daycare worker how she did it, she may have been told that she shouldn't have been trying to climb into the chair herself...she should have asked for help. Enter CPS worker....asks your daughter how she got the bruise, she thinks, "Oh....I'm gonna be in trouble, cuz Teacher said I shouldn't be climbing into my chair by myself." Rather than tell the truth, she says, "Ummmm, ummmm, ummmm". The toddler's version of "I think I'll plead the fifth". LOL

Don't sweat it OP... Daycare is CTA. As another poster said, they are mandatory reporters. If they don't report it and a child suffers from repeated abuse, they're in trouble for neglecting to report. If you decided to deny your child was hurt at home and claimed it was done at daycare, they could be sued and shut down. Just be honest with them and you'll be fine.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:47 PM

UPDATE: The CPS worker called me today and said they are not going to investigate any further. She asked if I took DD into the doctor and I said yes and explained the visit to her. The CPS worker then said she was going to put that information in the file. THAT makes me feel like I did the right thing by taking DD to the doctor, just in case CPS wanted to know about it.

Now, I will talk with the daycare director and ask them to please be more willing to talk with me about situations like this in the future. I will also make I tell them about any bumps, bruises, etc..so they are more aware of our situation.

Thanks again everyone!!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:33 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I fail to see the problem here. Obviously someone falsely reported you, CPS showed up, and acknowledged that everything was fine. In the meantime, no one reported the other child. They can't be all-seeing; how are they supposed to know about abuse if no one reports it?
the problem arises when people like my mother and my mom's freind get reported falsly 10 times each within 4 months, and cys continues to show up no matter what

Old 11-05-2010, 07:28 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
I'm glad it worked out for the OP, and I hope it's truly "over" for you and your family.

Our case got extended by a Navy psychologist who, unfortunately, I was honest with. He decided that "the abused ALWAYS becomes the abuser" and spent four months harassing our family before he took it too far and a wonderful Jacksonville Sheriff got involved and somehow put an end to it all for us - CPS had decided not to pursue the case after speaking to each of us, including my then 3 year old son. "Charlie" had the case reopened when they decided not to remove the kids or continue to monitor us.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:37 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
I work in a day care setting....teaching kindergarten.... it is my legal obligation to report any kind of issue we believe is the result of abuse/neglect. If we do not we can be held legally responsible for NOT reporting it. Something to think about- they have to cover their butts- unfortunately in this society everyone is sue happy and if you work with kids you are held responsible for them- and thier well being. This is true for teachers as well..... anyone working with kids HAS to report anything they feel is unsafe for the kids..... they are covering THEIR butts.... sad but true.... it is a shame if she just fell off of her chair that you have to go through this....

Old 11-07-2010, 10:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If they have reason to suspect that something possibly happened, then I believe by law they are required to report it
"When they came for the parents of children with bruises, my children had no bruises, so I said nothing."

Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I work in a day care setting....teaching kindergarten.... it is my legal obligation to report any kind of issue we believe is the result of abuse/neglect. If we do not we can be held legally responsible for NOT reporting it. Something to think about- they have to cover their butts- unfortunately in this society everyone is sue happy and if you work with kids you are held responsible for them- and thier well being. This is true for teachers as well..... anyone working with kids HAS to report anything they feel is unsafe for the kids..... they are covering THEIR butts.... sad but true.... it is a shame if she just fell off of her chair that you have to go through this....
After talking with the center director, I understood why they thought the injury could have come from abuse. The injury was actually 3 bruises. 2 of them were directly over 2 of DD's ribs and looked a lot like someone grabbed her and squeezed very hard. However, I still have a hard time with being accused of abusing my child (or that my husband would have). Not to float our own boats, but we are good parents. We are far from perfect, but we are loving and caring and provide for our children. We are raising them to be good people as best we can.

It is unfortunate that we have had to go through this because of such a typical 3 year old's bumps/bruises. However, I have learned from it. My 7 year old DD was in daycare until about 6 months of age, then we had a relative watching her and DS until I became a SAHM. This is the 1st time in 5 years that my children have been in daycare and I have only been back to work for about 4 months.

So, now I know for the next time, that I have to tell them about these things so they don't assume my DD is being abused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting