Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:14 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
You can find playdates through MOPS, Mommy and me, or Craig's List. If you want to start your own, you can try posting an ad on Craig's List.
You can add MOMS to that list of groups.... they do a lot of organized outings for kids, playgroups, functions/meetings... AND a night out a month for just the moms! Also, local libraries sometimes have free or very inexpensive meetings weekly for younger age groups... along with REC Centers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I don't understand the whole "playdate" thing. When I was a kid, I either played with toys by myself or went outside and played with neighbor kids. Or is this more of an issue with people who live in neighborhoods where there are no kids? Where we live, there are probably over 30 kids (babies right now) in the same age group as our babies within 4 blocks of our house, so I don't see the point in arranging play times when they get to that age. If they want other kids to come over and play or vice-versa, I see no reason why it has to be scheduled or why the other kids' parents need to be in my house while they play.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
what worked for me was community classes that are "mommy and me" type; hanging out at the parks and playgrounds; homeschooling groups; and mom clubs (like mothers of twins; first time moms that hospitals put together, etc)

Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
If they want other kids to come over and play or vice-versa, I see no reason why it has to be scheduled or why the other kids' parents need to be in my house while they play.
the idea is that in addition to kids having each other to play with, there is also adult companionship for the adults. It is a way to build a support network for like-minded adult friendship and companionship, especially when a person doesn't know many people or is new in a community

Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,100 times
Default Just moved to the Keys from Miami

I am in the same position. Give me a call if you want to meet at the park or something?
Danielle and Nicole
[mod]phone # [/mod]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrize View Post
My husband and I recently moved from CA to the upper Keys in Florida with our three year old daughter. I'm desperately seeking a playdate and some other stay at home moms. I've gone to storytime at the library, the local parks, riding our bikes in the neighborhood, and been online. Could anyone out there please make some suggestions as to how I may find some other like minded moms???

Last edited by Keeper; 12-09-2008 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: send a DM with phone #

Old 12-10-2008, 12:02 PM

443 posts, read 2,135,766 times
try this International MOMS Club

Old 12-10-2008, 04:30 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
I like Meetup. I haven't enjoyed mommy groups where I'm the only mom that has a job. Meetup is good for finding other people with similar circumstances (employed outside the home, stay at home, work from home, etc.)

Old 12-11-2008, 07:53 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
When I lived in Florida, I joined the MOMS Club and it was a great way to make friends. Living in Florida, you also have the advantage of showing up at the park on any given day during the year and probably seeing lots of moms and kids that could potentially become friends. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting