Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I have come to have a "phobia" of most colors. I really only wear black or dark jeans. I bought a red shirt the other day and felt a bit daring.
That's ironic considering you are going to fashion design school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's ironic considering you are going to fashion design school.
Fashion Marketing actually.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
And no one in any of my classes wears colors either. Its just a bunch of people in muted tones and black and grey.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
One day, out of nowhere, the girls will just "get it."
Maybe they will.

I still don't get it.

My mom tried with the color wheel. One side had warm colors; one side had cool colors. Red was on both sides. I stopped listening.

I understand colors - I can tell you which green has more blue and which has more yellow. I just don't know why people think some colors look good together and some don't. I can even name a couple of neutral colors.

When I was teaching, I used a clothing chart that my friend helped me with. I consulted that chart almost daily. Now I wear jeans and t-shirts. In the winter I use layering - a sweatshirt over a couple t-shirts. Summer is the hardest. Some of my shorts just won't get worn until I get some help.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Get the flying fig out of town. It never once occurred to me that this could be an issue.

Out of all the things I thought I was going to teach my child that I mulled over prior to her glorious arrival, I can honestly tell you that this is one subject that never entered the darkest corner of my mind.

Maybe someone should start a thread entitled "What? I have to teach my child that...?!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Maybe they will.

I still don't get it.

My mom tried with the color wheel. One side had warm colors; one side had cool colors. Red was on both sides. I stopped listening.

I understand colors - I can tell you which green has more blue and which has more yellow. I just don't know why people think some colors look good together and some don't. I can even name a couple of neutral colors.

When I was teaching, I used a clothing chart that my friend helped me with. I consulted that chart almost daily. Now I wear jeans and t-shirts. In the winter I use layering - a sweatshirt over a couple t-shirts. Summer is the hardest. Some of my shorts just won't get worn until I get some help.
You got one up on me. Does the green have more blue than that one? I have no flipping idea. I don't do colors or anything visual. I just am not wired for it.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:35 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My 8 year old girls have been picking out their clothes for some time now but they still come downstairs with "Does this go?" or "Does this clash?"

How do you explain which colors go together, what clash is and other questions about clothes. I don't care too much about clothes, have never been into fads or trends but I want to dress appropriately and I want our daughters to gain confidence in picking out their own outfits.

I guess it just takes some time and experience but tonight I was asked to explain clash. One came down stairs with burgundy pants and a deep purple top. Strangely they blended just beautifully and I complimented her on her eye even tho is sounds like these colors would not "go".

The other has a hard time with 1 piece of her outfit has to be solid color if the other is a pattern or print. On the weekends when we are not leaving the house I don't say a word but I'm wondering if I'm doing a disservice to them by not pointing out the flaws in their choices.

Any comments?
my opinion: I'd point it out if they asked. otherwise, unless they were wearing something outrageous enough to cause problems (at school or wherever), I'd let them enjoy making their own decisions about it.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 PM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Goodness, I'm glad you didn't post this yesterday, when I was wearing grey pants with a brown shirt. Although I did have black boots...

The thing with grey and brown and (earthy) green is that they are neutral. You can pretty much wear them in any combination. The trick is to pick the right shade of non neutral colors to go with them. I think the hue is more important that the actual color.

Having said that, for some reason little kids look great in outrageous color combos that would look ridiculous on adults. I guess we're just not that cute anymore.
The point of my post, which some seemed to have missed, was that my daughter's fashion sense changed my mindset about fashion color "rules" that were a no-no in the olden days when I was growing up. I now WILL wear browns and grays together. It's so...freeing! : )

Old 11-15-2010, 12:53 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The point of my post, which some seemed to have missed, was that my daughter's fashion sense changed my mindset about fashion color "rules" that were a no-no in the olden days when I was growing up. I now WILL wear browns and grays together. It's so...freeing! : )
I didn't miss anything, hence the winky face.

But I'm glad to hear you're feeling free these days. Note: winky face means I get it.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Actually, my son coming out of his room one day dressed like he was some horrible left-over from an LSD flashback (I've heard stories ) is how I found out he was color blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting