Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:33 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Why no sleepovers?
I used to do sleep overs as young as 7 or 8 and loved them, they are an intrical part of growing up as a girl. It helps independence and bonding as well as contributing to the social health of a teenage girl.
When you don't let your kid do sleep overs they get the stigma of "that kid who can't do sleepovers" and then people don't invite them places because they think the kids parents are strict and they won't be able to do anything or the other kids will feel you are too strict and won't want to associate with someone who they feel will drag them down or who's parents will be a "killjoy" and ruin their fun.
And of course they develop slight social awkwardness because they aren't like their peers.

I never grew up with a set curfew. People say it teaches you to be on time but that's why I went to school and had a job but no adult has to be home by a certain time right on the dot or else there are consequences.

What are ALL your rules for you daughter now?
And what is her reaction to them?

Some of the rules for my daughter are in the last post at the bottom of page 9. Now to adress the sleepovers. The fact that you went on sleepovers as a child is great. That is something that your parents decided you can do. As a parent I suspect you allow your own children to participate in sleepovers and that's fine too. I have decided against it, and so-far my daughter has NOT been the social outcast. For example one of her friends had a birthday party two months ago at a Hotel. The kids swam, ate pizza, and the girl's parents booked a room for the night (there were no boys at the party, and the girls Mother was staying with the girls in the room). I let my daughter go to the party, but I picked her up at midnight, and then dropped her off the next morning to join back up with the girls. My daughter wanted to sleep over in the Hotel, but our deal was she can go, but she can't sleepover. She went through that experience having a wonderful time, and she continues to get invited out to other events. Why do my wife and I do this? Short answer is BECAUSE WE ARE THE PARENTS AND WE MAKE DECISIONS ON WHAT WE THINK IS BEST FOR OUR CHILD!! The other fact is we felt she was safer this way. It may not be what you would do and once again that's fine, but that's the way we do it here in MY house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 07:03 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
The problem is as stated momma bear that boys are 3 times as likely to be the victims of murder and assault as women. And most rapes happen not on the street but in homes or familar settings, often by people the girl knows, with other people nearby.. The idea that young women seem to need protectors just isn't true in the face of these facts. And anyway how effective is having a boy in the group really going to be if someone pulls a gun?
You can do whatever you like with your own daughters. Dress them up like sluts on Halloween and then send them out on the streets late at night. But to ridicule other people's opinions does not add anything to the conversation.

Most "problems" when teens are out in groups do not involve guns.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:56 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You can do whatever you like with your own daughters. Dress them up like sluts on Halloween and then send them out on the streets late at night. But to ridicule other people's opinions does not add anything to the conversation.

Most "problems" when teens are out in groups do not involve guns.
My girls really aren't into Halloween so i doubt that they ever will be. And they understand that there is certain appropriate attarie one wears out in public as well. While i personally have no issue with outfits like this, i believe we live in a society and certain concessions must be made as such. Also my daughters nor my sons will be outside on the streets late at night, but rather then treat them like china dolls i will teach them how to handle themselves. And i was far from ridiculing your opinion, more so i was informing you that your sons are far more at risk for violence then your daughters, so perhaps it is they would need the chaperone's

Old 11-13-2010, 01:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Some of the rules for my daughter are in the last post at the bottom of page 9. Now to adress the sleepovers. The fact that you went on sleepovers as a child is great. That is something that your parents decided you can do. As a parent I suspect you allow your own children to participate in sleepovers and that's fine too. I have decided against it, and so-far my daughter has NOT been the social outcast. For example one of her friends had a birthday party two months ago at a Hotel. The kids swam, ate pizza, and the girl's parents booked a room for the night (there were no boys at the party, and the girls Mother was staying with the girls in the room). I let my daughter go to the party, but I picked her up at midnight, and then dropped her off the next morning to join back up with the girls. My daughter wanted to sleep over in the Hotel, but our deal was she can go, but she can't sleepover. She went through that experience having a wonderful time, and she continues to get invited out to other events. Why do my wife and I do this? Short answer is BECAUSE WE ARE THE PARENTS AND WE MAKE DECISIONS ON WHAT WE THINK IS BEST FOR OUR CHILD!! The other fact is we felt she was safer this way. It may not be what you would do and once again that's fine, but that's the way we do it here in MY house.
I am a bit perplexed about what you think *might* happen if she slept in the hotel with other girls during a party. Ime, girls just have a lot of giggling and silly talk going on at these sleepovers. They might not get much sleep, but that isn't going to have a long term effect on your dd.

What is it that you think is not safe?

Dorothy

Old 11-13-2010, 03:35 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
So far everytime someone ask you something like this you just tell us that its your house and that is the way it was run.
You didn't explain WHY you think it is best for your child...that's what we want to know, or at least I do.

WHY is she not allowed to do sleepovers?
Do you think it'll turn her into a lesbian?
Do you think boys might sneak in?
Do you have a fear of her being out of your protection?

It could be numerous things and we just want to know why...

And you never did fully answer my other question.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
So far everytime someone ask you something like this you just tell us that its your house and that is the way it was run.
You didn't explain WHY you think it is best for your child...that's what we want to know, or at least I do.

WHY is she not allowed to do sleepovers?
Do you think it'll turn her into a lesbian?
Do you think boys might sneak in?
Do you have a fear of her being out of your protection?

It could be numerous things and we just want to know why...

And you never did fully answer my other question.
See this is why i can never believe his story, because no woman alive would tolerate living with this guy.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
See this is why i can never believe his story, because no woman alive would tolerate living with this guy.
I sure wouldn't.
Sadly, I can believe him. A lot of male cops are just like him and the women and kids do stay, sometimes because the mother knows she can't support the kids alone and sometimes out of fear of what the cop might do or have his cop buddies do.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I sure wouldn't.
Sadly, I can believe him. A lot of male cops are just like him and the women and kids do stay, sometimes because the mother knows she can't support the kids alone and sometimes out of fear of what the cop might do or have his cop buddies do.

Most of my cop friends while they are a bit protective of their daughters are nothing like this guy. And this along with his constant story changes lead me to believe his story is bs. And plus he said his wife is an rn...which mean she most likely makes more than he does so i don't think she would have problems in the support department.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Most of my cop friends while they are a bit protective of their daughters are nothing like this guy. And this along with his constant story changes lead me to believe his story is bs. And plus he said his wife is an rn...which mean she most likely makes more than he does so i don't think she would have problems in the support department.
The one thing that makes me think this might be fake is the whole cop dating a nurse thing.

Cops have sex with nurses in the back of their patrol cars....most cops do not stay with a nurse, they marry out of that profession because most nurses, most not all, are total badge bunnies and go through more cops than cops go through nurses.

Seeing some of the cops in my town would make me wanna go get my RN LOL.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
The one thing that makes me think this might be fake is the whole cop dating a nurse thing.

Cops have sex with nurses in the back of their patrol cars....most cops do not stay with a nurse, they marry out of that profession because most nurses, most not all, are total badge bunnies and go through more cops than cops go through nurses.

Seeing some of the cops in my town would make me wanna go get my RN LOL.

Hmmm i don't know txt most of my cop friends are married to nurses, so i'm not sure that is true. An affair between emergency room nurses and cops...particularly homicide detectives is fairly common however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting