Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,224,915 times

Advertisements

We have from time to time discussions on girls clothing. The most recent being the one complaining about halloween costumes
Here
Halloween Costumes.... UNBELIEVABLE!
Now of course as a guy, I have absolutely no idea what goes on inside girls heads.
However I heard this interesting conversation on the radio yesterday. All participants female.

One of the private girls schools in my city is getting a new headmaster. In over a hundred years the new head is the first male head master the school has had. This of course attracted the attention of the media and it was the subject of a bit of talk back radio that I caught while stuck in traffic.

The female radio DJ had the head mistress of another elite girls school as her special expert guest and had various people phone in.

The head mistress said that her school would get in lots of female leaders to speak so that the girls had female role models.

One lady rang in and said she had gone to an all girls school that had had a male head master and that he was well qualified and easy to speak with and that she had really respected his leadership.

The discussion continued and she then said that "some of the girls had felt a bit selfconscious on sports days doing sport in the short school uniform sports skirt. Worrying that either the head master or any of the male teachers would see them".

To which the female radio anouncer said "I wonder if girls need to actually wear the skimpy sports skirt and feel that selfconsious feeling as part of growing up".

To which the lady who had phoned in said "well we have gone to shorts and the girls seem to play less sport and have more issues of body image than ever".

The anouncer said "A topic for another days discussion perhaps".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 05:22 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,848,515 times
Ummm i don't get what you are trying to get at with this thread?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:29 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,224,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Ummm i don't get what you are trying to get at with this thread?
Your right it is a bit odd.
There are really two things that could be discussed.
1. Female role models, the advantage of all girls school. Female head mistress. Getting female business and sports and so on leaders in to talk to girls to show them that they can do it (it being whatever they set their minds to)
and
2. "I wonder if girls need to actually wear the skimpy sports skirt and feel that selfconsious feeling as part of growing up".

Old 11-10-2010, 05:34 PM

I don't think they need to persay, but growing up is part experimentation and part pushing the boundaries. We girls are always going to feel a bit self conscious because that's how we are built. Even our moms felt the same way without those shorter clothes.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,379,095 times
Regarding the clothing. The girls should wear whatever clothing is appropriate for the task at hand. Just like anyone else...not sure what the controversy is? It is not really practical to wear skimpy skirts to do sports unless there is something else under the skirts. In which case why bother with the skirts, just go with shorts....more practical....

Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,067,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Your right it is a bit odd.
There are really two things that could be discussed.
1. Female role models, the advantage of all girls school. Female head mistress. Getting female business and sports and so on leaders in to talk to girls to show them that they can do it (it being whatever they set their minds to)
and
2. "I wonder if girls need to actually wear the skimpy sports skirt and feel that selfconsious feeling as part of growing up".
You're in Australia right? In the U. S. girls only wear skirts for very few sports. I'm thinking field hockey and lacrosse, which are typically only big in certain regions of the country. Most sports have shorts as the uniform bottom. Yes, many girls wear them uber short. It is a problem I have with girls' sports. People always found me strange because my softball shorts always went to the knee. Most girls wear them very short, but they are not self-conscious in them.

Some degree of female role models is important, but I think a lot of that is really hyped up. I don't know any girls who thought they couldn't be say president just because there has never been a female president. Now, it is different in sports in my opinion. Girls' sports are played very differently from boys' sports. This is a problem with many sports coaches, but it is changing now as more women are becoming coaches. However, it isn't due to gender. It's due to the differences in the sports.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:46 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,903,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You're in Australia right? In the U. S. girls only wear skirts for very few sports. I'm thinking field hockey and lacrosse, which are typically only big in certain regions of the country. Most sports have shorts as the uniform bottom. Yes, many girls wear them uber short. It is a problem I have with girls' sports. People always found me strange because my softball shorts always went to the knee. Most girls wear them very short, but they are not self-conscious in them.

Some degree of female role models is important, but I think a lot of that is really hyped up. I don't know any girls who thought they couldn't be say president just because there has never been a female president. Now, it is different in sports in my opinion. Girls' sports are played very differently from boys' sports. This is a problem with many sports coaches, but it is changing now as more women are becoming coaches. However, it isn't due to gender. It's due to the differences in the sports.
I take it you don't have girls that play volleyball? The "shorts" (they call them spandex) are short AND tight!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post

Anytime i see girls playing both of those sports in the paper they are wearing shorts actually.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,309,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I take it you don't have girls that play volleyball? The "shorts" (they call them spandex) are short AND tight!
I've seen them . Actually, they remind of me skin tight colored granny panties!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,067,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I know about those "shorts." It's the reason I never played volleyball. Our daughters would not play a sport that required such a uniform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting