Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times

Advertisements

I've learned: some people don't know anything, and to try to bring something to their attention does nothing but cause anger and waste your breath. I'm referring to those who are only familiar with one way of doing things, and would hit the roof if anyone were to say there's a different/better way.

When my kids were little, they had bedtimes. While there was leeway for special occasions, etc., the general idea was a little kid gains two important things from this: the amount of sleep they need in order to stay healthy, and structure. (I'll add mealtimes into that, too, but that's another topic).

Little kids here run, day and night, and drop when they're exhausted-- or when they become bothersome to their parent. It's an ongoing thing, but last night it really bugged me-- needing to get up early to get some work done, I decided to get to sleep early. I wasn't kept awake by loud adults-- I was kept awake by a two-year-old!! This little guy runs constantly, and while little running child feet on my ceiling doesn't usually bother me, he was at it well after midnight.
The problem: when parents are unaccustomed to the concept of putting their toddlers to bed at night, there's not really anything I can do about it.

thanks for letting me vent-- and if anyone has any constructive solutions, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 02:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Earplugs, white noise or music to drown out the noise might work.

You are not going to get help about the neighbor's parenting since we don't know exactly why they allow a two year old to go to bed so late.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:23 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Earplugs, white noise or music to drown out the noise might work.

You are not going to get help about the neighbor's parenting since we don't know exactly why they allow a two year old to go to bed so late.
earplugs! thank you! I didn't think of that!!!

Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Earplugs and Tylenol PM or Benedryl.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:56 PM

556 posts, read 798,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Earplugs and Tylenol PM or Benedryl.

Nah! Just get yourself a ladder and a boogie man mask

Old 11-14-2010, 07:57 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Bang on the ceiling with a broom. Thats what my downstairs neighbor does.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:52 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,413 times
If you leave in a community with small children, expect this...I'm not saying you should move. (years ago my friend with a newborn was living in the married dorms with her grad-student husband and always complaining of the noise...well, it's college- young kids make noise).

I have a sibling who got a nasty letter from a neighbor b/c her kid was supposedly making lots of noise at all times of day. This is definitely not the way to go. I would suggest to speak to the management office to see if they can intervene for you. Perhaps there is a disability in the family or something that can help you understand why all the noise at late hours.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:26 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Bang on the ceiling with a broom. Thats what my downstairs neighbor does.
What do you do to make your neighbor bang at you? LOL

Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
What do you do to make your neighbor bang at you? LOL
My meer existence. I consider it an improvement considering she called the police on the tenant before me because she walked too loud too late at night.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:37 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My meer existence. I consider it an improvement considering she called the police on the tenant before me because she walked too loud too late at night.
I was sitting watching tv one night and my downstairs neighbor came up to my door and started yelling at me through it.

Funny, we chose the upstairs unit because we did not want to be bothered by our neighbors' walking around making noise - and here this guy comes banging on my door b/c I got up likely to pee or get a drink of water or something while watching tv. LOL.

To the OP I recommend a white noise machine (my daughter has requested one b/c our neighbors have 3 barking chihuahuas, ugh) and perhaps a move to a top floor unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting