Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:50 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,069,299 times

Advertisements

I raised 3 boys and there's no way I would have driven over there. Nor would I have thrown out dinner. Why couldn't he eat that dinner when he got home?

The issue is he was not home on time AND he didn't call to say he was going to be late for whatever reason. So, iPod gone for a set time, good "punishment fits crime". No girlfriend for a week, also good. What has him buying double lunches to do with THIS issue? nothing. Don't make this a "you screw up on one thing and everything you do I don't like gets dragged in" endless battle. It is ONE issue. Focus!

Yes, you over-reacted when you drove to girlfriend's house. He is 16 and he was INCONSIDERATE to cause you worry and to break curfew. FOCUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:08 PM

556 posts, read 797,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsterrufus View Post
i too am having a creepy feeling of deja vu ..... Something about the whole tone.

me too!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:26 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,325,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
If this kid starts buttering the floor, I'm outta here!!!

You think......wait let me get my popcorn.....that this is a well known poster in disguise

Old 11-16-2010, 01:29 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Next time he misses dinner, he can make something for himself. Just make sure there are no leftovers from dinner. The message is you will not allow him to inconvenience you.
So his punishment is a mess in the kitchen that SHE has to clean up?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
WRT the lunch account....the poster said she put a set amount in the lunch account to teach him how to budget money. She told him how long it should last if he bought one lunch per day. He chooses not to eat the entire lunch, instead purchasing 2 lunches and eating the parts he prefers. He runs out of money. Giving him cash would then defeat the whole point would it not? The poster said he is able to pack his lunch. I am still not feeling too sorry for this boy regarding how hungry he is. His hunger is based on his own choices.
Agreed. The point isn't to keep handing out money when he makes p*ss poor financial decisions. The point is teach him what happens when you're supposed to budget and you F up from laziness or greed. If more parents had done that, this country wouldn't be swimming in credit card debt.

I give you two months prepaid lunch? You run out? Well, you'd better start packing your lunch from home. I don't want to hear some stupid sob story about how you don't have money for lunch at school. Or how you're hungry because you have to pomade your hair and can't bother to make time for breakfast.

16?!! Effin' A. That's old enough to make your own breakfast, pack your own lunch, and bleeping know to call your mom if you are going to be late. Not to mention drive your own ass to the store and buy food to make lunches you'd enjoy. Seriously? Why are there so many posters talking about coddling their kids that way?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

His walking around the house complaining about being hungry indicates that she is refusing to allow him to make something for himself to eat.

B.S. I had a young, teenage brother, and I know a lot of teenage boys (as well as knowing his friends pretty well)...boys will stand around and whine about being hungry for hours before they ever consider getting up and making their own damn sammich.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:46 PM

2,714 posts, read 5,348,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree with this !!

Whoop-de-doo, so he missed a dniier.....

There are far worse things the boy can do. I have 3 boys, and believe me, they have missed a meal or two,......so eat later...no big deal.
To a 16 year old their social life is the most important thing on earth, remember when we were that age???

I say yes, you over reacted.
If the OP has a rule in her home that everyone is home for dinner at 6, then that's the rule in her home. You can disagree with it all you like, but if this is a rule that they have and the son broke it without calling, she has a right to be upset that he blew off dinner and didn't bother to call and tell her.

If the son thinks that rule is unfair he can act like a 16 year old and ask his mother to change it; not walk around like a two year old whining about a headache because he didn't eat. There was food there. He obviously expected to be catered to when he felt like it and the mother was not having it. I say good for her.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:35 PM

Honestly...they want to be treated like adults and completely fail at behaving like one. With power comes responsibility.

Frankly, if my kid had the history this kid did, his ass wouldn't have a girlfriend and he sure as hell wouldn't be wandering around unsupervised until he showed me back-to-back reports cards with straight As on them. This mother is being very nice and tolerant...the only thing I disagree with is the open-ended punishment. That sends a message of weakness, as does any word or action done in the moment out of anger.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:23 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,906,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
If this kid starts buttering the floor, I'm outta here!!!
LOL Too funny. I'm with others on this one- something about the tone of these posts and the lunch account issues is just too similar to someone elses threads/posts.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:27 PM

436 posts, read 1,520,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
LOL Too funny. I'm with others on this one- something about the tone of these posts and the lunch account issues is just too similar to someone elses threads/posts.
I don't know what you are talking about The only reason I mentioned the lunch account is because everyone was jumping on me about him not eating lunch yesterday. So of course I had to explain why.

I don't know who you think I am but, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting