Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Most of the people I know who swear in front of their kids don't do it on purpose. Obviously some do, but I doubt they're generally the ones who are very worried about their kids swearing.

I know other people who have tried to explain to their kids that swear words are for adults, not kids. I think the ideal would be to not swear in front of kids, period, but at the same time I think it's also valid to point out that adults can do things that kids can't do. At least adults, in theory, know when it's okay to swear and when it's not. I bet the PTA president, for example, can keep her language clean when she's volunteering in the classroom or at a job interview.
Yes, she can certainly keep her mouth clean when she thinks it's needed. The troublesome thing is that she obviously doesn't think she needs to keep her mouth clean in front of her own children. I find that offensive, and I feel bad that her kids have to hear their mom yelling at them "What the F... why did you drop that! God dmmmit f...kin blah blah blah.."

She doesn't actually -call- them vulgar things that I've heard, but she does use vulgarity in her speech when she's yelling at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:04 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I've sworn in front of my kids before... more often than I'd like to admit. They picked up on it, naturally. We used a 'swear jar' to break the habit this past summer.

But just because I've sworn in front of my kids doesn't mean that I want them listening to music, over and over, that has that type of language being repeated several times, purposely.

A couple years ago, my then 6 year old nephew and his parents came to stay with us for a couple days. The first day they were here, my then 8 year old son used the D word while they were playing. My dh's BIL freaked out and wouldn't let the kids go play alone because my son was teaching his son bad habits. Right. That nephew also has two older sons that curse 'like sailors' - yet he learned it from MY son. Whatever.

BIL freaked to the point that he wouldn't allow the boys to sleep in the same room, sleepover style. Talk about overreacting! They cut their trip short - lots of stuff came out during that visit - between that and the candy and soda I allowed the kids to have, they were very upset. They believe that THEIR son "never fill-in-the-blanks". They spend so little time with that child, that they have no idea what their son does or doesn't do! When he was 3 WEEKS old, they went on a weekend ski trip - because my SIL was returning to work the following (so she wouldn't "lose herself" ). They left him for 8 hours one day, 12 the next, while they were on the slopes, with a babysitter the hotel provided. He went into a daycare the day they returned... at THREE WEEKS OLD.

They have no idea who that boy is and what he does or even who he does it with.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 AM

208 posts, read 270,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
The first day they were here, my then 8 year old son used the D word while they were playing.
Is is stupid to ask, what's the D word?

...does it rhyme with pick?

If it doesn't rhyme with pick I'm about to learn a new swear word (or at least a new classification of swear words)....

(I've never thought of a word that rhymes with pick as a 'swear word'...which is why I'm confused.)

Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
Is is stupid to ask, what's the D word?

...does it rhyme with pick?

If it doesn't rhyme with pick I'm about to learn a new swear word (or at least a new classification of swear words)....

(I've never thought of a word that rhymes with pick as a 'swear word'...which is why I'm confused.)
Haha...I didn't even think of that one...I assumed it rhymed with "ram"....

When my kiddos were little, they thought "the D word" was "dumb"....I miss those days...

Old 11-19-2010, 07:39 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Just to clarify: I don't think parents SHOULD swear in front of their kids, and I do believe that generally they DO lead by example, but on the other hand it's also appropriate to teach kids that just because Mommy or Daddy says something (especially if it pops out in the heat of the moment) doesn't mean that they can say it, too. There are a lot of things that adults get to do that kids can't. I'd categorize swearing as one of them.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I agree with you there....i have yet to meet a parent like that who is walking around saying f this and f that.
I have!!

Someday I'm going to write a book and call it "The Whack-Job Renters Next Door". A saga of sex, dope, and a whole lotta things nice people don't want to know about.

They'll have to sell it in hermetically sealed plastic.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:09 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I've sworn in front of my kids before... more often than I'd like to admit. They picked up on it, naturally. We used a 'swear jar' to break the habit this past summer.

But just because I've sworn in front of my kids doesn't mean that I want them listening to music, over and over, that has that type of language being repeated several times, purposely.

A couple years ago, my then 6 year old nephew and his parents came to stay with us for a couple days. The first day they were here, my then 8 year old son used the D word while they were playing. My dh's BIL freaked out and wouldn't let the kids go play alone because my son was teaching his son bad habits. Right. That nephew also has two older sons that curse 'like sailors' - yet he learned it from MY son. Whatever.

BIL freaked to the point that he wouldn't allow the boys to sleep in the same room, sleepover style. Talk about overreacting! They cut their trip short - lots of stuff came out during that visit - between that and the candy and soda I allowed the kids to have, they were very upset. They believe that THEIR son "never fill-in-the-blanks". They spend so little time with that child, that they have no idea what their son does or doesn't do! When he was 3 WEEKS old, they went on a weekend ski trip - because my SIL was returning to work the following (so she wouldn't "lose herself" ). They left him for 8 hours one day, 12 the next, while they were on the slopes, with a babysitter the hotel provided. He went into a daycare the day they returned... at THREE WEEKS OLD.

They have no idea who that boy is and what he does or even who he does it with.
Tell us more about this visit and the girlish glee you had as you saw the veins in his head pulsate .

Old 11-19-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have!!

Someday I'm going to write a book and call it "The Whack-Job Renters Next Door". A saga of sex, dope, and a whole lotta things nice people don't want to know about.

They'll have to sell it in hermetically sealed plastic.

woah woah woahhhhhh.... Even nice people want to here about the first one . And tell me about these renters.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Just to clarify: I don't think parents SHOULD swear in front of their kids, and I do believe that generally they DO lead by example, but on the other hand it's also appropriate to teach kids that just because Mommy or Daddy says something (especially if it pops out in the heat of the moment) doesn't mean that they can say it, too. There are a lot of things that adults get to do that kids can't. I'd categorize swearing as one of them.
Most of those things are due to inability though which in understandable. Good decent manners are something that applies to any age what so ever. Like the lady who years ago would teach her kids to eat with silver wear and smack their hand if they didn't but her and her husband used their hands and ate with their mouths open.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
woah woah woahhhhhh.... Even nice people want to here about the first one . And tell me about these renters.
Let me digest my breakfast first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting