U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:28 AM

208 posts, read 249,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Haha...I didn't even think of that one...I assumed it rhymed with "ram"....
Right, of course. haha. I'm sure it is the one that rhymes with 'ram'....uhhh, coffee?

Does that just mean I'm dirty minded? Maybe that's where my son gets it from...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:53 AM

16,499 posts, read 27,418,200 times
I think cursing (beyond telling a story) is very low class. I really hate parents cursing at their children.
My BIL uses the f-bomb to his 3 kids all the time along with vulgar body parts. I just think it is Horrible. His DW just rolls her eyes...( I think she wants to kill him).
To me, these are your children, that you love, Why would you use such horrible language to them. It really is not setting a good example.
It's one thing to be really mad or upset over something, then yes, that is one of the "perks" about being an adult, you can curse LOL.
But for every day nonsense, I don't like it.

....and I don't think it's cute when a little child 4 or 5 say's a curse and the parents laugh. Call me a stick in the mud, but I don't find it funny.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:01 AM

14,781 posts, read 38,824,061 times
We never treated curse words as taboo in our house. We don't routinely use them and we certainly don't curse at the kids, but they slip out from time to time, generally when telling a story or at a party. My 6 year old knows them all and has repeated them all. We focused on not making them a "no-no" but more or less when it is (with your friends) and is not appropriate (church, pop-pops birthday party) to use them. He tested it out a few times and now has seemed to lose interest in them since we took the shock and awe out of the word.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:05 AM

3,646 posts, read 10,169,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
Is is stupid to ask, what's the D word?

...does it rhyme with pick?

If it doesn't rhyme with pick I'm about to learn a new swear word (or at least a new classification of swear words)....

(I've never thought of a word that rhymes with pick as a 'swear word'...which is why I'm confused.)
No, ram (poster below was correct)

As a funny story, as a child we were all sitting around the table at a family gathering and my cousin suddenly shouted out "Kim called me the "N" word!"

Nerd.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,283,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
No, ram (poster below was correct)

As a funny story, as a child we were all sitting around the table at a family gathering and my cousin suddenly shouted out "Kim called me the "N" word!"

Nerd.

So he samn d@mn and your bil really got upset?....give me a break lol

Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Tell us more about this visit and the girlish glee you had as you saw the veins in his head pulsate .
The funniest thing about it was that I had NO idea he was such a 'stickler'. We lived in different states and my SIL and I traded recipes all the time, the occasional story about the in-laws. I'd met and spent time with his older kids - NONE of it led me to believe that their children 'never' had soda, candy, ice cream, etc. It was a big family thing - all 4 siblings and their spouses, though it was just the 3 kids - my two and their youngest.

I pulled out the paint, paper, art supplies, etc and my MIL (generally the biggest 'stick in the mud') had the three of them painting their arms and legs. I thought it was hilarious and took photos as I let her know SHE'D be giving them all a bath. My dh's BIL got upset that his son was learning such bad habits at our home - which was apparently, the last straw for him. They flew home the following morning, two days early.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
The funniest thing about it was that I had NO idea he was such a 'stickler'. We lived in different states and my SIL and I traded recipes all the time, the occasional story about the in-laws. I'd met and spent time with his older kids - NONE of it led me to believe that their children 'never' had soda, candy, ice cream, etc. It was a big family thing - all 4 siblings and their spouses, though it was just the 3 kids - my two and their youngest.

I pulled out the paint, paper, art supplies, etc and my MIL (generally the biggest 'stick in the mud') had the three of them painting their arms and legs. I thought it was hilarious and took photos as I let her know SHE'D be giving them all a bath. My dh's BIL got upset that his son was learning such bad habits at our home - which was apparently, the last straw for him. They flew home the following morning, two days early.

I can't wait till his kids become teens....they are going to do exactly the opposite of what he wants . I grew up near a family like that very very conservative....but liberal as well.... sucks was considered a dirty word....no sex ever before marriage....the kids did all the chores...including the cooking and cleaning. Flashfoward 10 years later and they had. a gay son and their daughter liked to sample various men . I swear their hair went gray inside a year. And the thing is...why didn't he just say look in my house we don't allow them to have candy and soda.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I can't wait till his kids become teens....they are going to do exactly the opposite of what he wants . I grew up near a family like that very very conservative....but liberal as well.... sucks was considered a dirty word....no sex ever before marriage....the kids did all the chores...including the cooking and cleaning. Flashfoward 10 years later and they had. a gay son and their daughter liked to sample various men . I swear their hair went gray inside a year. And the thing is...why didn't he just say look in my house we don't allow them to have candy and soda.
He was busy playing Rockband with my younger BILs. They bought it as a 'gift' for 'us' as they arrived. Yeah. The kids never got a turn.

He heard the swear from the other room and apparently JUMPED off the couch. My daughter came running outside where I was and said "Uncles yelling at the boys". I ran in (followed closely by MIL, FIL, SIL and dh) and up to the room. He wasn't yelling, he was loudly lecturing my son about what language was appropriate, he should set a better example, he didn't let HIS son talk like that, etc. He turned as I got to the door. I just looked at my son and said, "You know better, right?" He nodded, I said okay and walked away. My BIL said, "Is that all you're going to say?" I said yes and went back outside. It was later that night, as the kids were saying their goodnights that he loudly announced that his son wouldn't be sleeping with the other kids because he couldn't trust my son to watch his tongue. The kids were upset, begging. I took mine upstairs and explained that Uncle was an anal jerk and that they'd have to watch it a bit closer. The next two days, my MIL spent the entire time with the kids, playing and reading to them, taking them for walks, painting their arms . BIL didn't step in, just announced on morning three that they were leaving early.

The rest - he made snide remarks about the sweets/treats while eating his. My MIL were 'play fighting', about the painting - getting loud and laughing, and they all came in to see what the fuss was about.

I am all about rules, and limits. I am considered 'strict' - but there is a time and a place for EVERYTHING. And a childhood visit with cousins and grandparents, in a party style atmosphere, once a decade should be FUN.

Last edited by sskkc; 11-19-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
He was busy playing Rockband with my younger BILs. They bought it as a 'gift' for 'us' as they arrived. Yeah. The kids never got a turn.

He heard the swear from the other room and apparently JUMPED off the couch. My daughter came running outside where I was and said "Uncles yelling at the boys". I ran in (followed closely by MIL, FIL, SIL and dh) and up to the room. He wasn't yelling, he was loudly lecturing my son about what language was appropriate, he should set a better example, he didn't let HIS son talk like that, etc. He turned as I got to the door. I just looked at my son and said, "You know better, right?" He nodded, I said okay and walked away. My BIL said, "Is that all you're going to say?" I said yes and went back outside. It was later that night, as the kids were saying their goodnights that he loudly announced that his son wouldn't be sleeping with the other kids because he couldn't trust my son to watch his tongue. The kids were upset, begging. I took mine upstairs and explained that Uncle was an anal jerk and that they'd have to watch it a bit closer. The next two days, my MIL spent the entire time with the kids, playing and reading to them, taking them for walks, painting their arms . BIL didn't step in, just announced on morning three that they were leaving early.

The rest - he made snide remarks about the sweets/treats while eating his. My MIL were 'play fighting', about the painting - getting loud and laughing, and they all came in to see what the fuss was about.

I am all about rules, and limits. I am considered 'strict' - but there is a time and a place for EVERYTHING. And a childhood visit with cousins and grandparents, in a party style atmosphere, once a decade should be FUN.
ahhh okay...he wants to eat his junk food but it's not okay for his kid too? LOL i can't wait till that boy is a teen...his anal father will have bred a monster

Old 11-19-2010, 10:40 AM

208 posts, read 249,850 times
Quote:
Wow. Just imagine what he would have done if your son had said "urgh ya pick!"

You would have all been on his 'no fly' list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting