U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 AM

10,452 posts, read 11,344,099 times

Advertisements

My parents swore in front of me all the time. But they also let me watch R rated movies if I went to a friend's house. So at least they were consistent.

That said, my parents made a distinction between swear words and hateful speech. For example, it was okay to say "I'm so f*cking tired" but it wasn't okay to say "f*ck you" or call each other an a**hole, and it definitely wasn't okay to use the N word or any other words that targeted specific groups.

I think some parents almost take it too far though. It's important to understand swear words should be used with caution, but at the same time, when you make it such a huge taboo, you just invite your kid to overdo it and they never learn to exercise their judgment.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 11-19-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,283,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
Wow. Just imagine what he would have done if your son had said "urgh ya pick!"

You would have all been on his 'no fly' list.

Or called the man a mother clucker....or socksucker

Old 02-10-2021, 01:59 PM

21 posts, read 16,432 times
This was my dad growing up, worst road rage ever..but if I cussed I’d get in big trouble.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:06 AM

2,341 posts, read 670,731 times
Personally I get annoyed with bad language on kids shows (like idiot and stupid) and I don't use swear words around my kids. I know they will one day hear them...already have heard a few.

Last summer my dad drove us back to the house from the beach. When we got to the house my dad jokingly goes, alright get the hell out. My reaction is what did it..i was like, OMG DAD STOP! and my kids were like, hmm...hell is a word that triggers mom. To this day my almost 5 year old sometimes says, what the hell and gives me this this look with a smirk.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:36 PM

4,341 posts, read 3,860,243 times
Meh, I tried the not saying curse words with my kids. They seemed to pick them up elsewhere anyway. I thinks it's better to know they can't use them in certain situations. If they use too many, I say something. Honestly, I'm more offended by the people who use words like 'fudge' in place of the other 'F' word. It's the same word. You're not fooling anyone and it doesn't make you cute.

My mom didn't like the use of curse words and told us kids to be more creative. Lol! That doesn't work particularly in a creative family. There are far more offensive ways of saying something that doesn't involve profanity.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:52 PM

4,073 posts, read 1,456,298 times
Am I the only one who can string sentences together in the English language without the use of vulgarities?

Old 02-21-2021, 02:31 PM

60 posts, read 8,839 times
What fascinates me are the parents who don't particularly care how many shootings, stabbings, bludgeonings little Johnny or Susie see, but absolutely will not tolerate a four-letter word or a nipple. I remember once watching The Jerk on television, and the word 'crap' had been overdubbed with 'stuff', yet scenes of violence - the sniper, a physical assault - were left intact. Odd priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Meh, I tried the not saying curse words with my kids. They seemed to pick them up elsewhere anyway. I thinks it's better to know they can't use them in certain situations. If they use too many, I say something. Honestly, I'm more offended by the people who use words like 'fudge' in place of the other 'F' word. It's the same word. You're not fooling anyone and it doesn't make you cute.
I'm not offended by bowdlerization but I think it's silly, just as with the newspaper articles that use asterisks to mask profanity. These things are tacitly asking the reader/listening to fill in the blanks with the appropriate profanity. On the other hand, I think some attempts to do as much can be clever. One example was the sitcom The Good Place, which followed the (after)lives of deceased people somewhere that was supposedly a Heaven-like place. As such, one of the features of the Good Place was that it was not possible to curse - attempts to do so automatically resulted in other words coming out. I found it a rather clever incorporation of adherence to FCC regulations into a storyline. (as opposed to the use of 'frak' and 'fraking' on Battlestar Galactica, which just sounds inane to me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
My mom didn't like the use of curse words and told us kids to be more creative. Lol! That doesn't work particularly in a creative family. There are far more offensive ways of saying something that doesn't involve profanity.
I've often run across those equating profanity with non-creativity, which I find curious. The use of profanity doesn't indicate an inability to use some other word. Rather, it indicates a lack of interest in using another word.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:31 AM

1,287 posts, read 914,401 times
The Urban gospel singer, Kirk Franklin, has issued a public apology for cussing out his 30-something year old son in a heated exchange. It's sad. The son recorded the conversation and uploaded it on the internet.

Some parents do not speak profanities in front of their children, but that does not stop some of them for using that kind of language.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:29 AM

1,385 posts, read 709,649 times
I never cussed in front of my kids unless it was an accident, which was rare.

Now that I have two teens I am less careful with my wording. We listen to music that can have some cuss words in it and they know they can sing along cuss words and all. At this point I'm teaching them there is a time and place. If you are shooting the breeze with your friends alone and you want to cuss fine. If you accidently let a bad word slip because you drop something on your foot fine. If you are using bad language directed at someone, in a school or work setting, at a teacher etc that is absolutely not fine.

We have had zero issues. Not once have they gotten in trouble for using a cuss word anywhere.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:29 PM

25,276 posts, read 36,367,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
The Urban gospel singer, Kirk Franklin, has issued a public apology for cussing out his 30-something year old son in a heated exchange. It's sad. The son recorded the conversation and uploaded it on the internet.

Some parents do not speak profanities in front of their children, but that does not stop some of them for using that kind of language.
I get why Kirk felt the need to apologize. That kind of interaction is not a good look for him as a Christian in ministry. He didn’t want to compromise “his witness” and I respect that.

But, as an atheist, I don’t think he did anything wrong. He was fully within his right to G check his son for talking to him disrespectfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting