Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:48 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,420,429 times

Advertisements

Most Parents want to keep their kids from listening to curse words and lookin' at violent movies when the parents themselves be using profanity in front of their kids, sometimes it's like a cursing marathon from the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Most Parents want to keep their kids from listening to curse words and lookin' at violent movies when the parents themselves be using profanity in front of their kids, sometimes it's like a cursing marathon from the parents.
It's because some people only know how to breed, not how to parent. But they try to do both, and fail.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I don't know any parents who use curse words in front of children.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Neither do I.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
My ex-boss swears in front of her kids all the time. The pathetic thing, is she's the president of her school's PTA.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Most of the people I know who swear in front of their kids don't do it on purpose. Obviously some do, but I doubt they're generally the ones who are very worried about their kids swearing.

I know other people who have tried to explain to their kids that swear words are for adults, not kids. I think the ideal would be to not swear in front of kids, period, but at the same time I think it's also valid to point out that adults can do things that kids can't do. At least adults, in theory, know when it's okay to swear and when it's not. I bet the PTA president, for example, can keep her language clean when she's volunteering in the classroom or at a job interview.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
IME, the parents who are concerned about swearing in movies and by other people, are not the ones swearing in front of their kids (excepting the occasional slip up). The parents who are taking their 5 yo to see R rated movies full of "language" (among other things) are most likely also not too worried about dropping the F-bomb either.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:11 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

You never met my parents then have you? My fathers favorite phrase growing up rhymed with dock and shucker. However that got bit in the rear end when i began using it at holiday parties when i was 3.....oh the joy. Granny sitting next to her little angel....when her little mouth would open and instead of sweet words of love.....the sounds of construction workers would instead emerge .

Old 11-19-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Most of the people I know who swear in front of their kids don't do it on purpose. Obviously some do, but I doubt they're generally the ones who are very worried about their kids swearing.

I know other people who have tried to explain to their kids that swear words are for adults, not kids. I think the ideal would be to not swear in front of kids, period, but at the same time I think it's also valid to point out that adults can do things that kids can't do. At least adults, in theory, know when it's okay to swear and when it's not. I bet the PTA president, for example, can keep her language clean when she's volunteering in the classroom or at a job interview.
I always tell parents who push out that little gem that "you lead by example". If you don't want your kids to do it....don't do it in front of them. Pulling out that little card does nothing but ensure they will do it anyway.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
IME, the parents who are concerned about swearing in movies and by other people, are not the ones swearing in front of their kids (excepting the occasional slip up). The parents who are taking their 5 yo to see R rated movies full of "language" (among other things) are most likely also not too worried about dropping the F-bomb either.
I agree with you there....i have yet to meet a parent like that who is walking around saying f this and f that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting