Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Only because people like you keep saying there is...so cut it out, and there won't be an issue.

And I suppose you believe that boys and girls are just the same, right?

Do you have a son AND a daughter?

If you did, you wouldn't believe that anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I never saw hugging encouraged in school or when apologizing, I would hate that in fact. Nobody should be forced to have body contact with someone or have it thrust upon them.

That said, guys can hug at all ages if that's what they want to do.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:30 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
EXCUSE ME, but did you even read everything? It is coming from another kid at school. We are new to the peer pressure thing, so excuse me again for trying to gain a little perspective.
Well here's your perspective: only one person who replied here agrees that there is anything at all wrong with anything you're describing. Take online advice for what it's worth, but if you don't want honest answers, why ask questions?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 PM

I was fine with everyone saying "relax, it's no big deal; he'll work it out for himself".

What I am not fine with is having my question become part of someone's political agenda and attacking me as "people like you" when the poster knows nothing about "people like me".

And, to be accurate, it is more than one other person.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I was fine with everyone saying "relax, it's no big deal; he'll work it out for himself".

What I am not fine with is having my question become part of someone's political agenda and attacking me as "people like you" when the poster knows nothing about "people like me".
Fair enough. This is not, or should not be, a political issue.

Quote:
And, to be accurate, it is more than one other person.
I counted one, versus 20 who see no problem with boys hugging and two I wasn't sure about.

Ordinarily I don't pay much attention to public opinion, but even I have to admit it is pretty striking when 87 percent of people on a public board agree on something. How often does that happen?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:49 PM

Thanks for conceding the political point.

Um, just have to say I've gotten several supportive direct messages....maybe people are afraid of being attacked if they write it publicly?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Um, just have to say I've gotten several supportive direct messages....maybe people are afraid of being attacked if they write it publicly?
Maybe if they'd been hugged more, they'd have more self-confidence

Old 11-20-2010, 04:04 PM

Ha Ha.

Really, though, being that I am a girl, I did not know what to say to my son when he brought it up. I didn't know if boys just worked it out for themselves, or what (which is what the popular consensus seems to be.)

His dad wasn't a lot of help because my son prefers to talk to me about these kinds of things.

It is unfortunate that someone can't even ask a question without the homophobe complaints, etc.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with this.

HOWEVER, why should my son "learn to brush off those types of comments" BUT the other boy (in the other thread) needs to be coddled and we need to be sensitive to him and his fragile nature? Why shouldn't the other boy learn to brush off those types of comments as well?
Because you are not his parent. You teach your OWN child how to brush off comments. You teach your OWN child how to have compassion and tollerance for others. You have no control over anyone but yourself and your own child. You can't change others. You teach your own child about compassion for others AND how to let is roll off when others aren't compassionate towards him. Those are two separate lessons we teach our children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The only child you can parent is yours. There will be many more children whose behavior you find less than desirable, but unless they are harming your child the only thing you can do is teach your child how best to respond, or preferably ignore.
Exactly!

Quote:
Ha Ha.

Really, though, being that I am a girl, I did not know what to say to my son when he brought it up. I didn't know if boys just worked it out for themselves, or what (which is what the popular consensus seems to be.)
I'm the mother of a young adult male (and an adult daughter too). I assure you that boys work it out for themselves.

Quote:
His dad wasn't a lot of help because my son prefers to talk to me about these kinds of things.
That's okay. It's fairly normal for boys to seek mom for emotional support. But dads do a good job of putting things into perspective. It's important to let dads be men and give gruff answers or dismiss things casually. THAT helps boys learn that it's not a big deal.

Dad dismissing it as not a big deal and nothing to worry about is a good perspective. My husband often just shrugged his shoulders and made what seemed to be quick dismissive comments. For the hugging question, my husband would have responded with one of the following comments: a) "So what, why do you care what she thinks?"; or b) "Then stop hugging kids that don't want hugged." LOL That would have been the end of the discussion. He would have walked away to go do something else.

Kids are smart. They take in what mom thinks and they also take in what dad thinks. They logically toss these conflicting concepts around in their minds throughout their lives.

Just the other day, my son was telling me about an important moment in his life---that he still remembers because it really made him think---where he and his father were having a conversation on the patio about killing ants when he was about your son's age, maybe a little younger. (I swear, this really came up recently and has nothing to do with your other thread and roaches! LOL).

My son was killing ants. His father walked by and said, "Why are you killing ants for no reason?" And my son said, "They can't feel it. They're just bugs." And his father said, "Well, even so, is it right for you to tourment them just because you can? How would you feel if someone bigger than you treated you that way?" Sure. They were just ants. But it was a lesson about how to treat others. My son 'got' it. Remembers it to this day--over a decade later.

Just to put this story into into perspective. My husband isn't a liberal pansy. He hunts. Our son hunts too now. Hunting has a purpose---killing for food. He taught to never kill anything you're not going to eat, and to kill humanely, don't cause suffering, etc.

Dads not being emotional supporters actually help kids learn to deal with life. There isn't always mom around. The world has lots of dads too. As a result, the roles of mom AND dad are both very important for children.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
As soon as they understand the notion of "personal space". I don't even like people NEAR me, much less touching me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting