Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

One question: Anyone drinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 04:47 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
It sounds like at 23 you should move out.

Now lets get philosophical,
To me there is a difference between corporal punishment and fistycuffs. As I have written in my blog on several occasions, I think that we should use corporal punishment but that is not the way these days. We put people in jail for 10's of years and somehow think that is human or humane. Anyway if my 23 yo hit back, I would say my child you have two options. Either stay and receive coporal punishment or leave but I am not going to have a person who can not control their anger living in this house.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:35 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post

To me there is a difference between corporal punishment and fistycuffs. As I have written in my blog on several occasions, I think that we should use corporal punishment but that is not the way these days. We put people in jail for 10's of years and somehow think that is human or humane. Anyway if my 23 yo hit back, I would say my child you have two options. Either stay and receive coporal punishment or leave but I am not going to have a person who can not control their anger living in this house.
corporal punishment to a 23 year old?

Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
I'm not sure where to start b/c I feel like I have a lot to say.

Your 23 and if you hit them it is out of their hands and into the hands of the law-even if they didnt want to press charges-it would be out of their hands to stop the precedings.

They could and might be the worst parents and meanest people in the world but it is your responsibility to control your own behavior. Someone suggested therapy/counseling and it sounds like it is something you should do for yourself. It can teach you how to manage your emotions and not engage in their crazy behavior. A lot of times family members do a sort of "dance" with one another knowing exactly what buttons to push with each other.

It would be in your best interest to disengage in these moments where they are looking to fight with you-I know this from experience. Keep your side of the street clean, leave yourself with nothing to apologize to them for. You're doing it for yourself-for your future relationships.

You do not sound like a monster-just in a bad cycle of violence- and looking for a way out. It will really start with changes in you-chances are they never will-but you can have a more peaceful existence.

Good luck

Old 11-21-2010, 06:12 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Your mother hits you and you are 23? Seriously? Get out.

That's it, I agree with Mommabear.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:38 PM

819 posts, read 1,591,789 times
My dear, if you had hit me - then you would definitely be out of my house. At 23 you should be out on your own anyway!

Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:

I find it disturbing that you think corporal punishment is appropriate for a 23 year old.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:28 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Well she only slapped but it was so pathetic on her part (words were exchange and when someone insults me, I'll use even more offensive term such as the b word). I ended up slapping her back, causing her to cry at the end. Later on she blamed it on me, how one must never hit a mother.
I figure there won't be a next time because either I'll be living somewhere else or I'll just walk away and locked myself in my room. She'll have no one to argue nor talk to but herself. It would be hilarious hearing her talking to the walls.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:

Yeah but if a parent is getting fistycuffs with their adult child, is the child suppose to take it and ask, more please?

Honestly if someone is beating on me, no way am I just gonna be like mmmmm HIT ME HARDER..

And it's not the daughter who is starting it, its the parents hitting her and expecting it to be ok. No way is it ok to hit someone over the age of 18 to "punish" them or because you are angry at them. No matter what you think Aiddy, the LAWS state its not ok. Are you for breaking the law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Gotta get used to him, he likes spanking.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:06 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
It's time to quit using 'saving money' as an excuse. RENT an apartment. Maybe even share with a room mate. Use that money for today. tomorrow may not be any better.

Missing her cooking, because you can't cook is one of the poorest excuses that I have ever heard for living at home at your age. Yes, you are lazy! Eat sandwiches until you decide if you want to learn how to cook.

Move out. You need to. Or don't complain about your mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting