Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Whoa... thanks for that! I totally did not see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
This is something I'm obviously not proud of but it can't be undo.

Over the years (I'm 23 now) there has been 3 altercations with my mother, in which I hit her back. Knowing I could have applied more physical force, it was left as slapping and shoving. The latest argument with her happened on the 18th of this month, 4 years later after the first 2 confrontations.

Last year there was once an overheated argument with my father as well, in which I said ''If you hit me, I'll hit ya back'' then he was like ''I'll damn send you to a mental hospital''. Towards the end of the argument I was saying something like ''I'll kill ya (what I really meant to say is ''I'll really mess you up good or I'll ruin you'').

Obviously my behavior was atrocious/unexcusable and she's still not quite over it. Is there a mending to this?
I'm trying to remind myself that no matter they're my parents. Has anyone of you ever dealt with this or hit back one of your parents (or threatened)?

Or I'm I a monster created as she has told my father today? However, I'm really not the instigator of arguments. Is this bond to occur between explosive arguments even with one's parents?
My mom hit me a couple of time after I turned 18, it wouldn't have happened more than once had I calle the cops on her. Being a parent doesn't make you above the law.

First time was a glass of wine to the face, I should have called then.
I was 18 and was kind enough to have asked before just leaving and she was already at the bottom of a bottle of wine and she got pissed and sloshed her last glass in my face. At that point I told my friend what happened and to just come get me.

Second time she slammed a door on my arm and I pushed the door back with my other one and I guess me getting a door off my arm warranted her then hitting me so hard in the side of the head that I got a concussion which I had to go to the hospital for because I started throwing up, I was 19 then.

Those are the two most vivid situations but there are countless time of being slapped.

Plain and simple it's against the law for one adult to hit another.
Next time she hits you don't hit back and call the cops instead.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,219 times
Hold up some of yall got it confused her mother hit her first shes grown that's abuse. shes 23 years old why df she suppose to accept abuse? some of yall must be mentally ill if yall think yall's grown children will let y'all hit on them an they cant do anything about it. girl leave an cut you're parent's out you're life it's not going to get better.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Old post - the first post is from November 2010 and she was 23 then. She is now 28 or 29.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:46 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
No one parent or child should hit each other...that is abuse...

Old 02-08-2016, 06:47 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
To the guy living with his toxic patents: move out with roommates. And go get a two year certificate in something, like in healthcare, so you can support yourself. Lpn?

Old 04-14-2016, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,082 times
Im 17 and my dad hits me can I hit back

Old 04-14-2016, 01:08 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARushing44 View Post
Unfortunately, it is legal in the United States and many other countries for parents to hit kids (how hard, with what, and how much damage can potentially make it illegal). There is no law that says you cannot hit him back, so, yes, you can.

A better idea would be to just stay out of his way until you are 18 and can leave for good.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARushing44 View Post
Hits you how? If he just swats your arm or something, that doesn't warrant knocking him right out. If you feel you need to defend yourself on the other hand, then that's different.

This is not a good relationship regardless. Nobody should be hitting anyone. Seek family counseling and/or move out ASAP when you're 18.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:45 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Or I'm I a monster created as she has told my father today? However, I'm really not the instigator of arguments. Is this bond to occur between explosive arguments even with one's parents?
If you as a family are going around telling each other you are monsters or mentally ill or want to kill each other - and so forth - then you have issues much deeper and requiring of professional intervention than merely your propensity to resort to violence.

That said however - on a more general note - if parents have brought their children up teaching them that conflict resolution or disagreement resolution or communication is to be done through the medium of violence then I have little sympathy for them if the day comes when those children communicate back in kind. They brought it on themselves.

It sounds like you need help. All kinds of help. I hope you seek it. I hope you find it. Together as a family. Because not one word you wrote sounds healthy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting