Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 AM

13,291 posts, read 9,813,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's $206 every 2 weeks if living with parents. It gets higher if living alone or having a dependent.

I just looked it up. This is mindblowing!

Youth Allowance

Youth Allowance - payment rates
The term "allowance" is not used the same way it's used in America: ie "pocket money" for kids living with parents.

You have to meet certain criteria - unemployed and looking for work, being an apprentice, studying etc.

You have to report any income you earn and the parents must take a means test to qualify if you live at home and are considered dependent.

You can't get it if you're going to high school and your parents are quite capable of looking after you. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Aussies, but I'm pretty sure things haven't changed that much).

It's basically unemployment for people under 21. In Australia (at least when I lived there) it's perfectly legal and acceptable to leave school after you've completed year 10 and look for work or go into an apprenticeship.

Many kids I went to school with didn't go on to year 11 and 12 because they had no interest in going to University. If they are going into a trade, like a plumber or an electrician, they leave school at 15 and get an apprenticeship with an employer, and go to technical college. This is so kids that are looking for work or an apprenticeship can feed themselves while they are looking, if their parents are not capable of supporting them or they are considered "independent" from the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 PM

18,359 posts, read 31,439,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's $206 every 2 weeks if living with parents. It gets higher if living alone or having a dependent.

I just looked it up. This is mindblowing!

Youth Allowance

Youth Allowance - payment rates
I remember me and my sister got a 2 dollar allowance every Thursday night, (mainly to buy ice cream in the summer).....................and we were happy.

my sons got 10.00 a week----inflation...LOL

Old 11-24-2010, 07:04 AM

444 posts, read 1,243,618 times
I didn't read 4 pages, but don't do what my parents did and decide to "let me". They figured I was already doing it and they couldn't stop me. I was fortunate to have it not lead to other things and to also be able to quit after 10 years. I have 4 of my own now and will do everything in my power to make sure they don't smoke.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:24 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,668,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
I didn't read 4 pages, but don't do what my parents did and decide to "let me". They figured I was already doing it and they couldn't stop me. I was fortunate to have it not lead to other things and to also be able to quit after 10 years. I have 4 of my own now and will do everything in my power to make sure they don't smoke.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm very curious as how you would have liked your parents to have handled the situation? I fought and fought with my son and I did not allow him to smoke, but he did it anyway.
I still have a little girl who is sweet and innocent for now.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 PM

18,359 posts, read 31,439,029 times
I think as parents we are facing a brick wall when it comes to this topic.

We can beat, punish, talk logical, threaten..etc......but it really is up to each young adult to make the "right" decesion...as parents all we do is guide them, and (pray), lots of prayers.........

Old 11-25-2010, 10:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think as parents we are facing a brick wall when it comes to this topic.

We can beat, punish, talk logical, threaten..etc......but it really is up to each young adult to make the "right" decesion...as parents all we do is guide them, and (pray), lots of prayers.........
Agreed. As a result of that brick wall, smoking cigarettes often becomes a "chose your battles" issue for many parents.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:14 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,748,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter 1 View Post
What do you do when you see your 14 year old kid smoking?

I Just saw Mine 14 year old boy smoking and I have now idea how to punnish him what would you do if you were me.

But he dident see me
Make him smoke a whole carton. He'll get so sick he'll never look at another one.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:17 PM

196 posts, read 207,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter 1 View Post

I Just saw Mine 14 year old boy smoking and I have now idea how to punnish him what would you do if you were me.

But he dident see me
Punish? You can't control your 14 yr old son's life. It's his life, his body and he's going to do what he wants with it.

The fact is that smoking only barely increases your chances of getting lung cancer. Many people who smoke all their lives are perfectly healthy (and he knows this) and conversely many people who die of lung cancer never smoked - ever. Telling him lies like, "It will kill you" will only cause you to lose credibility.

Casually let him know that YOU KNOW he smokes, and you're not going to do anything about it. "It's your body, if you want to poison yourself, that's your decision." is the only thing I'd say.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,775,629 times
I always like this approach from the 1944 classic movie "The Fighting Sullivans"

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=26zUEV...eature=related

Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 PM

852 posts, read 1,360,668 times
Do whatever it takes to get him to quit. Contact the Cancer Association. In the US, the ACS has all kinds of helpful information. Scare the hell out of him.

My father also started smoking as a teen. He finally quit 16 years ago when he had throat cancer, which didn't kill him, but the radiation therapy permanently damaged him. His mouth doesn't make enough saliva on its own. He must have water with him at all times, and for 16 years he was on a restricted diet of soft and wet foods (soup and pudding, etc.). No steak. No bread. You get the idea.

Now he's on a feeding tube and has been since June because the cancer came back. Two months ago, after failed laser surgery, he had a complete laryngectomy. Now he breathes out of a hole in his neck, and I'll never hear his voice again. Neither will his grandchildren. My seven-year-old saves all of the special pencils she gets from birthday parties and as prizes at school so that Grandpa can use them for his notebooks. He cannot use an electrolarynx to speak for the foreseeable future because his body isn't healing properly. Another side effect of the radiation from the first go round.

I don't know what you can tell your son, but take it seriously and do whatever you think might work. I wish someone had tried harder to stop my dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting