Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

I do find it funny though how many of you pull out these fond memories of roadtrips gone by when you were younger and use that experience to lambast modern convenience. Well, I happen to think that our parents would have jumped all over some modern conveniences. How many of us spent summer roadtrips plastered to vinyl because A/C was an unnecessary "option". How many of us got sick of staring at unending lines of trees and crops? How many of us would have given a right nut (or ovary) to have been able to listen to anything except our parents music choice or NPR? How many of our parents would have given anything not to listen to us bicker and complain? I happen to think most of our parents would have gladly given us a movie to watch versus taking a little sip of Schnappe's to help with their headaches.
Not us. We actually enjoyed our car rides, even the ones through the neverending desert to Vegas. Of course, my sisters and I always enjoyed our parents' music. We loved classic rock and our dad's Dr. Demento. I've talked to my parents about the DVD's before, and they also see no use for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:22 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,228 times
I would like to say that all the people who are offended and got defensive over my comment are saying that the reason for the tv's in their vehicles is to keep their kids quiet and complacent. That was exactly my point. Thank you. I'm sure that the teachers appreciate you for their ADD medicine too.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:36 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
paganmama!!!!!

You have a "deep appreciation" for John Denver??

Whoa. I didn't see that one comin'.

I was refering her and i agreeing on 3 subject and not sex dew .

Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Not us. We actually enjoyed our car rides, even the ones through the neverending desert to Vegas. Of course, my sisters and I always enjoyed our parents' music. We loved classic rock and our dad's Dr. Demento. I've talked to my parents about the DVD's before, and they also see no use for them.
Just because YOU don't see any use for them, doesn't mean that other people don't. If I want to have a DVD player in the minivan, how does that affect you? You parent your children, I'll parent mine.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I would like to say that all the people who are offended and got defensive over my comment are saying that the reason for the tv's in their vehicles is to keep their kids quiet and complacent. That was exactly my point. Thank you. I'm sure that the teachers appreciate you for their ADD medicine too.
That's a completely unnecessary statement. Why would you equate entertained to complacent? Have you ever traveled with young children for long periods of time?

We used to drive from Seattle to Vancouver, Canada 2 or 3 times a month. Lots of traffic, very boring. We did it for years without movies, and everyone was way happier once we got them. We once did a trip with 22 hours of flying time (quite a few flights have inoperable in-seat sets) and 10 hours of airport time. The portable DVD was a total lifesaver, my DH even watched the movies too. We travel a lot, and my kids are very good about entertaining themselves, reading, playing games, etc, but why not watch movies too? When I'm sitting on a plane and someone else's kid is screaming it's head off and my kids are quietly watching a movie, people change their minds pretty quickly about portables.

To each their own.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:10 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,782 times
How the heck can you go from my child watching a movie on a road trip to that same child needing ADD meds??????

Old 11-22-2010, 05:56 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
When you have to wait somewhere for a long time don't you bring things to entertain yourself or do you just stare off into space?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You weren't asking me but...

People who do/don't immunize their children.

How's that?
Oh boy you need to give us warning before saying such things! I have to go find my nomex gear.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's a completely unnecessary statement. Why would you equate entertained to complacent? Have you ever traveled with young children for long periods of time?

We used to drive from Seattle to Vancouver, Canada 2 or 3 times a month. Lots of traffic, very boring. We did it for years without movies, and everyone was way happier once we got them. We once did a trip with 22 hours of flying time (quite a few flights have inoperable in-seat sets) and 10 hours of airport time. The portable DVD was a total lifesaver, my DH even watched the movies too. We travel a lot, and my kids are very good about entertaining themselves, reading, playing games, etc, but why not watch movies too? When I'm sitting on a plane and someone else's kid is screaming it's head off and my kids are quietly watching a movie, people change their minds pretty quickly about portables.

To each their own.
Yes, I have children and have had to travel long distances with them. Without digital devices.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When you have to wait somewhere for a long time don't you bring things to entertain yourself or do you just stare off into space?

I have the capability to do both. Yes, and thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting