Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunForYou View Post
Exactly.

Some of you people either have nochildren or cannot remember what it was like being a child locked in a car for hours, BORED out of your mind.
You watch movies on planes don't you? Why? Because it makes the time pass faster.
What productive time can be spent in the car with kids either to young to read, or who get carsick from reading?

None.

I have children AND I remember taking long trips as a child. Rode to Alaska from Florida with my dad twice. We hardly even stayed in hotel rooms, so I didn't watch tv for about a month. Boy I sure was missing out. If only I could have hooked up my blinders I could have let the whole country and Canada go on with out being noticed.

I haven't been on a plane in a very long time and don't plan on flying ever again. They don't usually play any decent movies and I prefer to look out the window even then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 01:04 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
[quote=DewDropInn;16759531] No radio. No TV. No iPod. No video games. Horrible old rattle-trap of a car. /quote]

Old 11-23-2010, 01:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
[quote=paganmama80;16761229]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No radio. No TV. No iPod. No video games. Horrible old rattle-trap of a car. /quote]
AND his sister.

It's amazing he ever reached his full growth.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:17 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I have children AND I remember taking long trips as a child. Rode to Alaska from Florida with my dad twice. We hardly even stayed in hotel rooms, so I didn't watch tv for about a month. Boy I sure was missing out. If only I could have hooked up my blinders I could have let the whole country and Canada go on with out being noticed.

I haven't been on a plane in a very long time and don't plan on flying ever again. They don't usually play any decent movies and I prefer to look out the window even then.
Oh for goodness sake. It's not an all or nothing proposition. You can do both. Most kids are capable of turning their heads left and right.

I travelled once with my stepfather across the Nullarbor Plain. They don't call it a Plain for nothing. It takes three endless days to drive across it, down a straight road that never turns. What I would have given for any form of entertainment on that trip. (My stepfather was not very entertaining).

If you are travelling in a region with scenery and other stuff to look at, plus camping out or whatever, then good for you, and I can see that being great.

If you are going down the I40 for 5 days west to east, not so much. There's only so much flat desert I can take before I go nuts. If I didn't have the radio and my kid didn't have the dvd player, I probably would have committed murder somewhere along the way. We didn't use it all the time, but as many other posters have pointed out, it's good to break up some of the monotony.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:47 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
If I didn't have the radio and my kid didn't have the dvd player, I probably would have committed murder somewhere along the way.

That's a pretty pathetic statement. I'm the one who has a problem because I think children can go without television and I won't kill my children or other people because of this, but I'm the bad guy?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:52 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
That's a pretty pathetic statement. I'm the one who has a problem because I think children can go without television and I won't kill my children or other people because of this, but I'm the bad guy?
Yes, I'm going to kill someone. My children or other people. For real. So you'd better not take my TV away. Or maybe you should. Otherwise I might shoot it. Oh, I dunno, I'm confused. Where did I put that remote?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:56 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone said you were a "bad guy".

I KNOW children can go without television. I don't have to think about it. I just don't understand why it's a big deal if they DON'T.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
No, you're the one who has a problem because you think any approach to the situation but yours is "pathetic." Which seems to be a common theme among technophobes who swear civilization as we know it is collapsing because there are DVDs in cars or people use GPS devices or carry smart phones or whatever other device is going to turn us all into drooling, brain-rotted zombies.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:06 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
I thought of this thread this morning and chuckled because I was in the car with my kids and my daughter was driving me crazy with Mad Libs. "Mom, I need an adjective; now a place name, etc...."

Old 11-23-2010, 02:12 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
My kids have these things called books....
So do mine. As a matter of fact, so do I. But all of us also enjoy other things besides books; like movies, games, talking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting