Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times

Advertisements

Is this normal? It seems to be fairly commonplace nowadays.

What do you think of this? Do you have your kids watch TV while in the car?

I got to say I think it is completely unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 03:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
I am 24 and when I was about oh say 13 or 14 we got a van with TVs that came in the ceiling and it was TONS extra but we drove on all our vacations so my parents saw it as worth it. It didn't really pick up TV channels but you could watch movies and stuff. My friend had a "gladiator" van with a built in TV and she was the only person I knew with a TV in their car before we had one. Before that we had a little TV for road trips that could be plugged into the cigarette lighter for long road trips. It only played VHS.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:47 PM

897 posts, read 2,454,405 times
it's amazing- I saw a suburban the other day with a tv on back of each headrest-I was just telling my neighbor how sad it is nowadays- with computers, Xbox, Wii, cell phones that kids don't really have to think of their fun like we used to- We used to go out and make forts andplay in the backyard and have fun- now they just watch tv, play video games or text and get on computer and facebook-- that is the older kids at least!!

I disagree with TV watching in car unless you are on a road trip....

Old 11-21-2010, 03:47 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Yeah, I think they started being common about 10 years ago. We never got one, I hate them. I used to pack little backpacks with new inexpensive toys for long car trips. But, when my oldest was playing travel baseball, my younger two used to sit in a friend's conversion van during the games and watch movies. Again, that was 10, maybe 11 years ago.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
My dad drove us coast to coast in the late 50's. Needless to say there was no TV to look at. We sang. And looked out the window. And sang. And talked. And slept. And sang.

Did the same thing with my kids. Drove all over the country. Singing the same silly songs. "She'll Be Comin' Round The Mountain" is a two-generational favorite. I'm a firm believer that kids can learn a lot about life just by looking out a car window.

I'm agin' em.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:08 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
I would also like to add we only used the TV on trips (no point to put in a movie to drive 10 minutes) and it ALWAYS caused fights because we could only watch one movie at a time and we could never agree.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:11 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Is this normal? It seems to be fairly commonplace nowadays.

What do you think of this? Do you have your kids watch TV while in the car?

I got to say I think it is completely unnecessary.

Do you have kids?
Of course it is not a necessity. It is a luxury. I have 3 young children and sometimes they get very cranky on long car rides. There's nothing like popping in a fave DVD to calm them down. My dual DVD player broke so I have to buy a new one.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
That stuff was coming out when my kids were young. I think it's kind of sad...especially on road trips....I spent many many hours in the car on long trips as a child. I didn't always enjoy it at the moment but I did learn a lot...about my family, my country...all kinds of things...we played all kinds of games...20 questions, license plate bingo, I'm going on a picnic,....I remember a few years ago, there was a commercial for a minivan that showed Dad driving, mom reading in the front seat, kids each plugged in to one thing or another....I was horrified.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
We have had one for about 7 years. We only tend to use it for long trips. On our last long road trip of 10 hours each way the kids watched a couple of movies, then turned it off and we talked, sang, pointed out the scenery. Moderation is a wonderful thing.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:23 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,358 times
I think they are bad. They get used too much for some and result in bratty kids during car rides. I had to babysit my relatives using their van and it drove me crazy hearing them fight over what they wanted to watch. I'm old school, I prefer talking to my (future) kids while driving or just listening to music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting