Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Apologizing isn't defensive. Apologizing is good manners.
That's your opinion. You should learn to understand that not everyone agrees with you and that's okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Apologizing isn't defensive. Apologizing is good manners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
That's your opinion. You should learn to understand that not everyone agrees with you and that's okay.
In my experience, people who have a problem apologizing are usually very insecure people. Sadly, you don't realize that an apology can be very powerful.

I think life is too short to be so cold and play power games to feel better about oneself.

Quote:
Maybe I'm the one getting my knickers in a twist...
That's what we've been saying. It's not a big deal. YOU are the one making it a big deal.

Just calling to let them know that you're sorry you missed the invite isn't a big deal. But you prefer to have your knickers in a twist.

Quote:
what do you mean the heir or the spare?
exit82 was asking if you are the loved child who will inherit the family estate or the 'spare' child who won't get anything unless the loved child dies before you.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:32 PM

Hopes, I'm done with you. You've been added to my ignore list.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:30 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Get rid of your home phone, they'll have no choice but to call your cell phone.
The family I nanny for does not have a home phone number. I only have a cell phone I can be reached on. It will stay that way, I will never be getting a home phone..

Many police departments require their officers to have a home phone actually .

Old 11-23-2010, 06:32 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Ever since us "kids" moved out, he's no longer as tolerant and is becoming a mean spirited grumpy old man. Now back to the dinner situation...I'd say it was an insincere invitation- there was no call to my cell and no follow up call either by anyone in the family, for that matter.
Tell your mom to give him a little more access to the love canal for the good of the family .

Old 11-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Well I called my parents just now and they didn't answer, so I left a message saying that I heard they recently had a dinner...too bad I missed it but I hardly every check my home phone voice mail, but do check my cell every day, so please call that phone next time. See you later... (click).

Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Ever since us "kids" moved out, he's no longer as tolerant and is becoming a mean spirited grumpy old man.
Are you sure your dad isn't my dad, lol. They sound like the same guy!
Been there before. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't say anything about missing dinner. If they invite you next time, just stay for a little while for your mandatory visit (my visits are like pulling teeth to say in the nicest way possible) and off you go.
I visit my parents every Sunday for exactly 30 minutes. I don't really make conversation with my dad because he's my dad.
Life is too short to be getting all worked up over a grumpy dad who can't lighten up. It's old age, dementia or something, I tell ya. Once they start becoming terminally ill is when they start to soften up and learn the error of their ways with you. ...sometimes.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
In my experience, people who have a problem apologizing are usually very insecure people. Sadly, you don't realize that an apology can be very powerful.

I think life is too short to be so cold and play power games to feel better about oneself.
As a survivor of a jerk of a dad (he's not all bad I've learned some good from him), is that an apology is just an open invitation to belittle and insult me. I will never hear the end of it; that he was right and some other blah, blah, blah stuff I kinda tune out because if I listen, it will just make me cry and make him pick on me some more. 5 years later, he will still talk about it and even brag to his friends. Yeah, dysfunctional at its finest. It's best to just stay quiet and subscribe to the less is more way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting