Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:15 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
So...you're letting the laws about gay marriage affect your marriage?
I can understand their train of thought, although we have the opposite view. I DO (fair or not) believe that heterosexual couples are not as dedicated to the relationship in the long-term as those who do choose to get legally married. Marriage is a big deal, and there are many couples out there who can't enjoy its many legal benefits. Gay couples don't have a choice; straight couples do. If marriage itself is worth fighting for, then why wouldn't a straight couple (who is committed to the relationship and is married in all sense of the word other than by law, or perhaps by religion for those who are religious) choose to marry? In any case, I would say that seeing my gay relatives and friends not be able to enjoy the legal benefits of marriage has had an impact on my own views of marriage. In our case, however, it makes us value the institution of marriage more, not less. (and in turn to extend the legal right of marriage to everyone)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 04:09 PM

289 posts, read 1,270,343 times
Quote:
So...you're letting the laws about gay marriage affect your marriage?
We don't want to be a part of a discriminatory institution.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOnRainjer View Post
Very true, and with women giving it away so freely what is the incentive to be married to just one.

Morality is dead in America.

Guess what buck a roo women were "giving" it just as freely 60 years ago, people just didn't flaunt it is all .

Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
We don't want to be a part of a discriminatory institution.
Take some Midol and move to Canada?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Take some Midol and move to Canada?
The OP asked why people from my generation aren't getting married, and I gave my reasons, which happens to not be terribly uncommon with people from my generation. I don't care if you agree with me (plenty of people think we're being silly, particularly older people--we get it), but I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just answering the OP's question.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
The OP asked why people from my generation aren't getting married, and I gave my reasons, which happens to not be terribly uncommon with people from my generation. I don't care if you agree with me (plenty of people think we're being silly, particularly older people--we get it), but I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just answering the OP's question.
I'm from *your* generation. I'm 27. This not getting married to protest laws against gay marriage is news to me.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I'm from *your* generation. I'm 27. This not getting married to protest laws against gay marriage is news to me.
Really? I know at least two other couples who are holding off on marriage for the same reasons. I wouldn't call it a "trend", but I wouldn't call it exactly "rare" either.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:09 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I'm not that much older (32) and when I see my gay peers fighting legal battles for the right to get married it makes me MORE interested in getting married (because it highlights its value), not less. It's not helping them for me not to get married, and in some ways I think it could potentially hurt because (I think) it further devalues the concept of marriage if I, as someone who can legally marry, choose not to do so due to some sense of solidarity. I guess I'd rather just get married, demonstrate personally how I think marriage IS important and should be legal for everyone, and then demand that gay couples have that same right.

It's an interesting viewpoint, though, although I don't think for most people the gay rights issue comes into play. I DO know churches who will perform religious ceremonies but will not sign legal marriage certificates until gay marriage is legally sanctioned. I think that's an excellent policy on their part, but I am not yet convinced that straight couples choosing not to get married sends a strong message in support of gay marriage -- it seems (to me, anyway) to send a stronger message that marriage isn't important. Then again, I do think marriage is important and should continue to have a role in society (although definitely do think that it should include gay couples); I realize that many people do not feel that way, and I also realize that some people feel strongly that marriage is important, also value the rights of gay couples to be married, and have decided to boycott marriage as a way to make that statement. I don't agree with that decision, but can understand their reasoning.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Really? I know at least two other couples who are holding off on marriage for the same reasons. I wouldn't call it a "trend", but I wouldn't call it exactly "rare" either.
Hmm...

Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie support same-sex marriage | \ | The Advocate

Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 AM

191 posts, read 945,885 times
I agree with a lot of posters here.

During our parents'/grandparents' generation it was a cultural norm and expected to be married. A lot of the time women were expected to be homemakers and mothers with no income so marriage life was natural and made sense.

Now many women have their own careers, jobs, incomes, etc. and it's becoming less and less "necessary" to get married. As such women wait longer to get married as career-centrism becomes more normal.

I'm 23. I do want to get married eventually, but it's not a necessity for me. I make a great income, am thinking about graduate school, want to travel, etc. first. I can't see myself actually walking down the isle for at least another year or two, but no hurry.

Many of my female friends are unmarried at my age. A few are engaged and a very small percentage of them are married. Even less so for my male friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting