Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times

Advertisements

[quote=tom_c;16836882]This is what happens when a child is burned by hot liquid:
quote]

What a disturbing picture to post. I know you used it to make a point but please next time put some kind of warning in your reply. It was very very disturbing for me to see the picture of that poor child. I can't get it out of my head. Next time please be more sensitive about posting such a graphic picture

Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
How many of you have children? What type of behavior are we talking about specifically? I think it is good that parents and children are eating together.

Now if they are coming to your table and bothering you, that would be another situation, but unless they are where you are, just ignore and chill.

I would rather have children around than some business person barking into a cell phone. I think cell phones should definitely be banned from restaurants.

Nope sorry I'm a parent and I can't stand it when people let their kids yell, scream, cry, run around or look over the booth at me when I'm eating!!! Good greif I got a booth for privacy not so your child can stare at me. If you're eating with your child then they need to be sitting and talking with you quitely not look over the booth, talking to me or running around!!! It's called courtesy. I NEVER let my child do anything at the resturant other than sit quitely talking to me or coloring. He knows he's not to disturb the other diners. They are strangers, and should be treated as such!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 PM

369 posts, read 772,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
While I respect your career and appreciate your dedication, I think your length of service has rendered your logic...less than logical.

I agree that burns can be preventable not all are. Kids are slippery little creatures and lightening fast. They can get away in a millisecond.

I think you and others need to realize these things before casting disparaging judgments on parents.

If they are that slippery then they are to young to be out. As I said 100% preventable.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
This is what happens when a child is burned by hot liquid:

This is the sort of burn associated with hot soup or coffee as carried by a waiter in a restaurant. This will surely get you served faster - in the burn center or PICU.

It doesn't matter whether it is McDonalds, Dennys, Applebes or a Michelin 5 star, allowing a child to misbehave increases the chances of this happening dramatically. It is 100% preventable and 100% the responsibility of the parent. There is never an excuse for this happening. If a child is tired, cranky, over excited or anything - that child does not belong in that environment. Period. The photo here demonstrates that reason. Is this happening worth the risk for a meal?

What the photo can not demonstrate is the physical pain, the fear, the horror of the debridement, the skin grafts, the wound care, the IV sticks, the medications.

The arguement has been made is that kids must learn how to act in public. They do - starting in the home at the dinner table. Teach them before exposin them and have hard limits and enforce them. Injury prevention begins with the parents. As for people without kids having opinions on the original post. I've spent 30 years in EMS and 20 in Nursing dealing with injuries like this photo. I'd just as soon never see another.
Wow. I was joking. Remind me never to be light-hearted in this forum again. I'm guessing ypu don't have kids.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:13 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Just thought I'd share this about my daughter. She's 14 1/2 now, and I can only remember two incidents w/ her at a restaurant. One was when she was 18 mths and super fussy. We ended up having our food packed up and took it home. Come to find out, she was coming down w/ a fever/cold the next day.

The other one is funny now, but not at the time. We were dining in a Mexican restaurant sitting in a booth. The boothes were such that each side connected to the booth behind you. My side to the side behind me, my husband's side (sitting across from me) to the side behind him. My daughter was 4 at that time and always brought a couple small toys to play w/ along w/ a busy pad. Her noise level was never a problem, until this night. Her leg somehow got stuck between the seat and the wall. As she twisted to free it, she started to cry. Her cry turned to screaming as I tried to free her. My husband jumped up and I moved out of the way. Her leg wasn't budging. He yelled to the man in the seat behind us to hurry and get up so he could move the booth. The poor guy had just taken a large bite and nearly gulped on his food. The two of them moved this heavy booth to free our daughter's leg. Our daughter just needed an ice pack and was fine. We offered to buy the man and his wife dinner, but they totally understood it was an accident. We were able to finish our dinner, but my daughter never sat against the wall again.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
If they are that slippery then they are to young to be out. As I said 100% preventable.

You're wrong. Nothing is 100% preventable.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
[quote=KylieEve;16837138]
Quote:
quote]

What a disturbing picture to post. I know you used it to make a point but please next time put some kind of warning in your reply. It was very very disturbing for me to see the picture of that poor child. I can't get it out of my head. Next time please be more sensitive about posting such a graphic picture
I agree that a warning should have been posted. I have a great love for children and that image will be in my head for a while. I hope her outcome was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Nope sorry I'm a parent and I can't stand it when people let their kids yell, scream, cry, run around or look over the booth at me when I'm eating!!! Good greif I got a booth for privacy not so your child can stare at me. If you're eating with your child then they need to be sitting and talking with you quitely not look over the booth, talking to me or running around!!! It's called courtesy. I NEVER let my child do anything at the resturant other than sit quitely talking to me or coloring. He knows he's not to disturb the other diners. They are strangers, and should be treated as such!!!
Hi Spaz! Love seeing you here! Yeah, that looking over the booth irritates me too. Not everyone can appreciate someone's child as much as they do.

Quote:
Nothing w/ a child is 100% preventable. We may take precautions, but it only takes a split second.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:27 PM

^^I wish I could rep you. Gotta spread the lovin'.

One thing I cannot stand is when a child stands on the booth and stares at you over the booth. That p**** me off to no end. The parents just sit there oblivious to the whole thing. I have NEVER seen a parent tell their child to sit down when they are standing in the booth.
I hate being stared at when I'm eating. RANT OVER.

By the way I still have a picture of that poor child that was burnt in my head. Thanks a lot Tom That picture had me close to tears.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Just thought I'd share this about my daughter. She's 14 1/2 now, and I can only remember two incidents w/ her at a restaurant. One was when she was 18 mths and super fussy. We ended up having our food packed up and took it home. Come to find out, she was coming down w/ a fever/cold the next day.

The other one is funny now, but not at the time. We were dining in a Mexican restaurant sitting in a booth. The boothes were such that each side connected to the booth behind you. My side to the side behind me, my husband's side (sitting across from me) to the side behind him. My daughter was 4 at that time and always brought a couple small toys to play w/ along w/ a busy pad. Her noise level was never a problem, until this night. Her leg somehow got stuck between the seat and the wall. As she twisted to free it, she started to cry. Her cry turned to screaming as I tried to free her. My husband jumped up and I moved out of the way. Her leg wasn't budging. He yelled to the man in the seat behind us to hurry and get up so he could move the booth. The poor guy had just taken a large bite and nearly gulped on his food. The two of them moved this heavy booth to free our daughter's leg. Our daughter just needed an ice pack and was fine. We offered to buy the man and his wife dinner, but they totally understood it was an accident. We were able to finish our dinner, but my daughter never sat against the wall again.
Love seeing you here too!!! Glad your daughter was OK, and the man was understanding. I got nervous just reading about it. I agree sometimes accidents can happen, but I know your daughter was not up running around like a wild child. She had a true accident not one that could have been predicted, and after you made sure it never happened again. BTW my son won't be setting by the wall anymore

Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
This is the sort of burn associated with hot soup or coffee as carried by a waiter in a restaurant. This will surely get you served faster - in the burn center or PICU.

It doesn't matter whether it is McDonalds, Dennys, Applebes or a Michelin 5 star, allowing a child to misbehave increases the chances of this happening dramatically. It is 100% preventable and 100% the responsibility of the parent. There is never an excuse for this happening. If a child is tired, cranky, over excited or anything - that child does not belong in that environment. Period. The photo here demonstrates that reason. Is this happening worth the risk for a meal?

What the photo can not demonstrate is the physical pain, the fear, the horror of the debridement, the skin grafts, the wound care, the IV sticks, the medications.

The arguement has been made is that kids must learn how to act in public. They do - starting in the home at the dinner table. Teach them before exposin them and have hard limits and enforce them. Injury prevention begins with the parents. As for people without kids having opinions on the original post. I've spent 30 years in EMS and 20 in Nursing dealing with injuries like this photo. I'd just as soon never see another.
Drama queen much? This is an uneccesary post, a friendly reminder would suffice. I am an RN, and have worked in Pediatric ICU's for nearly 20 years. I can honestly say I have never heard of a serious injury from restaurant shenanigans, choking maybe, but not burns. Plenty of burns from hot liquids in the home, infact all the serious liquid burns that I remember happened in the home. Maybe we should all eat out all the time then, you know to prevent burns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting