Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,064,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You'd threaten to sue Starbucks because one of it's patrons was a jerk? How is that discrimination? Or Starbuck's fault?
I forgot to put the sarcastic smiley there.

I was being facetious.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:39 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieEve View Post
It's very brave of you to make that kind of a statement about children in a forum filled with LOVING PARENTS
Tried to rep you but have to spread it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It's one thing if the kid is kicking seats, acting like a hellion, standing in the chairs, etc. THAT shows a parenting problem if the parents choose not to respond. However, a small child who happens to speak loudly does not show ill-breeding. What the heck is a conversational tone when it comes to a 4 year old, huh? My daughter naturally speaks loudly. Of course, we tell her to quiet down and be mindful of her voice. Eventually she'll get it..but if she's otherwise acting civilized and coloring and minding her business, I don't really care if someone objects to her presence. Heck, you have adults not using conversational tones, and often using profanity in restaurants. Maybe I should get huffy about that too.

Before anyone jumps down my proverbial throat because I am a parent, let's be clear -- children running amok with no parental intervention irritates me too. At the same time, some folks need to give parents a break here, especially if they are trying to address any perceived ill behavior.
I agree w/ you. It sometimes just takes reminding a child to talk softly. Children need to be taught to use their "indoor" voice. Some parents never bother w/ this. As a past teacher, I was amazed how many children learned this for the first time from me. My daughter learned this early attending church w/ us or going to the library w/ me for story time. I agree that some adults obviously missed learning this as a child. Some seem to talk to hear themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I experienced something today that I thought you'd all get a kick out of. We had a miserable cold, windy day here, so after school the kids wanted to get hot chocolate at Starbucks. I don't know if you've noticed but Starbucks is like an office these days, people sitting around with their laptops conducting their business. Anyway we are sitting quietly at a table talking about the kids day at school, this guy next to us leans over and asks us if we can keep it down as he's on a conference call! I was very tempted to up the volume, but I managed to restrain myself.
I think I would have just told him that Starbucks isn't the best place for a conference call. My husband would never dream of doing that, and he has several conference calls a week. In fact, he's on one now in our bedroom with the door shut.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:41 PM

369 posts, read 771,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Parents,

Here's how to put your toddlers to good use. When you have been waiting too long in a restaurant for a table or for your food ~ let your little ones run WILD.

See how fast you get served

This is what happens when a child is burned by hot liquid:

Moderator cut: image removed

This is the sort of burn associated with hot soup or coffee as carried by a waiter in a restaurant. This will surely get you served faster - in the burn center or PICU.

It doesn't matter whether it is McDonalds, Dennys, Applebes or a Michelin 5 star, allowing a child to misbehave increases the chances of this happening dramatically. It is 100% preventable and 100% the responsibility of the parent. There is never an excuse for this happening. If a child is tired, cranky, over excited or anything - that child does not belong in that environment. Period. The photo here demonstrates that reason. Is this happening worth the risk for a meal?

What the photo can not demonstrate is the physical pain, the fear, the horror of the debridement, the skin grafts, the wound care, the IV sticks, the medications.

The arguement has been made is that kids must learn how to act in public. They do - starting in the home at the dinner table. Teach them before exposin them and have hard limits and enforce them. Injury prevention begins with the parents. As for people without kids having opinions on the original post. I've spent 30 years in EMS and 20 in Nursing dealing with injuries like this photo. I'd just as soon never see another.

Last edited by Marka; 08-16-2014 at 01:35 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,011 times
I do think restaurants can play a role in controlling the dining experience so that everyone's fed, restful and happy, because, afterall, everyone deserves a break. Cracker Barrel would always seat us in the same exact section of the restaurant when our kids were young. Too bad you were more likely to catch stomach flu eating in said section, lol.

Maybe restaurants can give out coloring books on dining etiquette that the parents can help fill out w/ their kids as a subtle hint on how their kids' behavior impacts the experience of other diners. Maybe prizes can be given out to the families w/ the best behaved four year olds. Maybe they can stop giving out free candy at the entrances (which significantly contribute to hyperactivity) and instead give them something that will mellow them out.

Maybe dining etiquette brochures could be distributed by maternity wards to clueless new moms who can read them while recovering. Better yet, maybe a tv screen can broadcast common dining etiquette rules whenever a young family enters a restaurant. Kind of like when a flight is about to leave and the flight attendants demonstrate how to put on seatbelts.

Or perhaps restaurant booths can be built with high backs that extend to the ceilings so kids can never peep and intrude on strangers ever again.

As a rule of thumb my spouse and I would never enter a non-chain restaurant that had dim lighting, spotless table cloths, candles, and menus posted in Eduardian script at the entrance.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post

This is the sort of burn associated with hot soup or coffee as carried by a waiter in a restaurant. This will surely get you served faster - in the burn center or PICU.

It doesn't matter whether it is McDonalds, Dennys, Applebes or a Michelin 5 star, allowing a child to misbehave increases the chances of this happening dramatically. It is 100% preventable and 100% the responsibility of the parent. There is never an excuse for this happening. If a child is tired, cranky, over excited or anything - that child does not belong in that environment. Period. The photo here demonstrates that reason. Is this happening worth the risk for a meal?

What the photo can not demonstrate is the physical pain, the fear, the horror of the debridement, the skin grafts, the wound care, the IV sticks, the medications.

The arguement has been made is that kids must learn how to act in public. They do - starting in the home at the dinner table. Teach them before exposin them and have hard limits and enforce them. Injury prevention begins with the parents. As for people without kids having opinions on the original post. I've spent 30 years in EMS and 20 in Nursing dealing with injuries like this photo. I'd just as soon never see another.
While I respect your career and appreciate your dedication, I think your length of service has rendered your logic...less than logical.

I agree that burns can be preventable not all are. Kids are slippery little creatures and lightening fast. They can get away in a millisecond.

I think you and others need to realize these things before casting disparaging judgments on parents.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I forgot to put the sarcastic smiley there.

I was being facetious.
Ah...well that's a relief. You just never know anymore though...

Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,968,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I would have gone to the manager and complained.

Or threatened to sue Starbucks for discrimination against families.

Its not starbucks..
Its the people who go there.

I can go to the mall in hoochie shorts and a skin tight top and talk about how all the boy wanna touch my junk junk and getting slizzard like a G6 at a party and tootin it and bootin it...
I could make that place the most unfriendly place for families with children....I wouldn't by the way.
Is it the mall who is making it unfriendly? No.
They can't kick me as long as I am covered but just looking like a ****. Freedom of speech prohibits them from telling me what I can and can't talk about. They would just tell the families to ignore me or go to another area but they can't infringe on my rights or theirs...they can't step on anyone's toes.

People choose to go to starbuck's for this reason, its an environment they want to conduct business in.
If starbucks told those people that they couldn't do that because families with loud children came in, then they would be discriminating against the businessmen, same if starbucks told families they couldn't come in because it was a more business setting.

"Raising children is not about sheltering them from life, its about exposing them to it and showing them right from wrong."

I know some sheltered people who get so emotionally upset over differences between themselves and others who they don't agree with, they weren't exposed, they'll admit it, they were sheltered.
These people let the smallest of things affect them and it just hurts them to their cores for people to be a certain.

Like my friend, I was telling her about this married dude at work who has a crush on me and likes my butt, told me so himself and she got all pissed and angry going on about how marriage isn't what it should be. She was pissed the whole car ride home and was deeply hurt by the fact it was going on.

I wouldn't act on anything so that's not an issue.

But I don't let that kind of stuff bother me. Ok so, he's married and likes other women and probably cheats, nothing I can do about it, instead of ruining my day and it upsetting me, it doesn't even bother me.
Nothing I can do about it so why get all up in arms over it.
I am that way with everything. Call me desensitized but at least its not controlling my life that the worlds going down the ****ter.

I can only control my life and what I do and I can choose my own path and do what makes me happy and as long as I am happy why should I care how deep others are digging themselves when I can and its not even my place to do anything about it.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post

Or perhaps restaurant booths can be built with high backs that extend to the ceilings so kids can never peep and intrude on strangers ever again.
That wouldn't have helped us the night our younger son dumped a drink over the back of our high backed booth. THANK GOODNESS it was on the side that wasn't next to another table. But it goes to show that kids are very quick and accidents do happen.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,011 times
OMG, I posted my ideas w/o seeing that horrible photo. But, a very effective message. You could post that at the entrance of every restaurant too. Parents: don't let your kids run wild, or this could happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post

Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
OMG, I posted my ideas w/o seeing that horrible photo. But, a very effective message. You could post that at the entrance of every restaurant too. Parents: don't let your kids run wild, or this could happen...

Ummm, I don't think posting that pic at every restaurant is going to help w/ the appetite. Some parents can look at pics like that poor child all day and still insist on thinking that could never happen to their child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.