Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:32 PM

345 posts, read 473,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Eh still regardless if they don't like you or not they follow state guidelines and are not going to remove a child for several months because her father gave her a bath, your friend isn't telling you the whole store.

This is what I said: "They put the kid into foster care until the father moved into a motel. It took them 3 months to correct the matter."

The father stayed in a motel until it was straightened out. The child was in F/C one night. I apologize if it wasn't clearer.

Quote:
Eh still regardless if they don't like you or not they follow state guidelines
There's a lot of discretion within "following state guidelines".

And yes, they were telling the whole story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 03:26 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,125,808 times
What a very TRAGIC story. Some people still think the gov't is too nosy into their parenting skills. I think the countries FIRST Priority is the children, not the parents "rights" . Children are not property and should not be treated as such. But many parents do just that, and think they have a right to do whatever they want to their children.. The real shame is the parents are obviously mentally unstable themselves and these kids have been raised with mental nutbags as their only role models. If they didn't have mental illness before, they certainly have them now from their experiences at home.

The social worker should have been more thorough in their investigation. They should always ask to come in and if the person does not agree, they should automatically get a search warranty from a judge. You know when you are pulled over and do not agree to allow the police to search your car, you are arrested and a judge signs a search warrant.

The lesson here is, when reporting something, better to state the situation as WORSE than it is, just to get some action. If the first anonymous tipster had said they SAW children in poor condition or being abused instead of suspecting it -that would have sealed the deal. NO harm in over reporting. Because if not witnessed by authorities, they cannot prosecute unless there are marks on the children consistent with the witness.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM

345 posts, read 473,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
What a very TRAGIC story. Some people still think the gov't is too nosy into their parenting skills. I think the countries FIRST Priority is the children, not the parents "rights" . Children are not property and should not be treated as such. But many parents do just that, and think they have a right to do whatever they want to their children.. The real shame is the parents are obviously mentally unstable themselves and these kids have been raised with mental nutbags as their only role models. If they didn't have mental illness before, they certainly have them now from their experiences at home.

The social worker should have been more thorough in their investigation. They should always ask to come in and if the person does not agree, they should automatically get a search warranty from a judge. You know when you are pulled over and do not agree to allow the police to search your car, you are arrested and a judge signs a search warrant.

The lesson here is, when reporting something, better to state the situation as WORSE than it is, just to get some action. If the first anonymous tipster had said they SAW children in poor condition or being abused instead of suspecting it -that would have sealed the deal. NO harm in over reporting. Because if not witnessed by authorities, they cannot prosecute unless there are marks on the children consistent with the witness.

There is harm in over reporting. In this case - no; but in many more cases - yes. See my original post.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:

GREAT idea. Lie and bungle up the system more. Dear Lord.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
GREAT idea. Lie and bungle up the system more. Dear Lord.

You don't know it all. I know a social worker and they are WAY over worked. They have WAY to many cases to handle and the priorities are the only ones that get taken care of.

If you trust your gut and really feel there are children being harmed in a house, then YES I do believe in order to get some action from the state you should convey your concerns and do so in a dramatic way so that they are taking you seriously.

Like I said, these FEW workers for the amount of work to be done are over worked and underpaid. They can only do so much, so if you THINK something is going on that children are being injured, or harmed, you should be persistent, be detailed, and be honest but demanding.

Children NEED others to watch out for them, there are no rules or licenses to having children. The neighbors, family members, and anyone else who had an inkling failed these children. CPS failed these children miserably.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
I had a friend give his 3 YO daughter a bath. DFS yanked the child after D/C alerted DFS that Dad gave her a bath (he was married, mom was making dinner). They put the kid into foster care until the father moved into a motel. It took them 3 months to correct the matter.

In my case my X-wife refused to give our 3 YO daughter a bath, so I did. After the split she threatened to call DFS unless I gave her more alimony. My mom would come over to give my daughter a bath.

These coupled with the OP case tend to make DFS look like a bunch of lazy bumbling fools. In reality there is no easy answer, it is a no-win situation for anyone involved. I'd hate to work there. It must be gut-wrenching. The parents in the OP should be fried if you ask me.

OKay I read this and find it quite bizarre. They are not allowed to remove a child from custody without proof here. Where do you live that this happened? Either they would send the child to a Dr for an exam (sad but necessary) and if they found something they could remove the child or parent from the home.

My husband gives my 6 and 4 yr old daughters a bath all the time. If someone reported that as fact to the CPS they wouldn't do a thing. The person would have had to elaborate to what they saw.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
A lot of states allow religious exemptions to do essentially unmonitored homeschooling...that is what is needed to be done away with.

I think that more so, they need to track kids who are removed from schools and "transfer" somewhere but really never make it there.

They should track kids who are born and never enter Kindergarten by 6 yrs old with their SS#.

In this case, the crackpot never had prenatal care, never had a hospital birth, never informed the county of the birth, they were just off the grid.

But in most cases, if we had a better tracking system of children and their whereabouts or education.

I know some parents will whine about their freedoms and rights, but your CHILDREN have rights to, and one is to be protected from having crackpot parents who wreck their future and potential.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
detect problems. I think that even if children are homeschooled, there should be a law of some sort, the requires the children to come to one week of school a year for standardized testing, or something...to verify that the children are actually safe.
To see if they have been taught a belief in God and creation perchance?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
You don't know it all. I know a social worker and they are WAY over worked. They have WAY to many cases to handle and the priorities are the only ones that get taken care of.

If you trust your gut and really feel there are children being harmed in a house, then YES I do believe in order to get some action from the state you should convey your concerns and do so in a dramatic way so that they are taking you seriously.

Like I said, these FEW workers for the amount of work to be done are over worked and underpaid. They can only do so much, so if you THINK something is going on that children are being injured, or harmed, you should be persistent, be detailed, and be honest but demanding.

Children NEED others to watch out for them, there are no rules or licenses to having children. The neighbors, family members, and anyone else who had an inkling failed these children. CPS failed these children miserably.
Which is all the MORE reason not to lie and embellish stories to muck up the system!!!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
To see if they have been taught a belief in God and creation perchance?
No to see if they have been taught to read, write and do math. To see if they have been taught social studies and science to state standards.

Children in the religious schools need to learn these things too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting