Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 AM

345 posts, read 474,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Well said. One of the worst jobs in the world is social worker for CPS. Get paid *%$#, and have everyone treat you badly.

I remember a thread a while ago on here about someone who was reported by their daycare for their child's suspicious injuries, and everyone was up in arms. You can't have it both ways. Either CPS investigates all suspicious incidents, they get bigger budgets and more resources, or you'll hear more of these awful stories.
I had a friend give his 3 YO daughter a bath. DFS yanked the child after D/C alerted DFS that Dad gave her a bath (he was married, mom was making dinner). They put the kid into foster care until the father moved into a motel. It took them 3 months to correct the matter.

In my case my X-wife refused to give our 3 YO daughter a bath, so I did. After the split she threatened to call DFS unless I gave her more alimony. My mom would come over to give my daughter a bath.

These coupled with the OP case tend to make DFS look like a bunch of lazy bumbling fools. In reality there is no easy answer, it is a no-win situation for anyone involved. I'd hate to work there. It must be gut-wrenching. The parents in the OP should be fried if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Well said. One of the worst jobs in the world is social worker for CPS. Get paid *%$#, and have everyone treat you badly.

I remember a thread a while ago on here about someone who was reported by their daycare for their child's suspicious injuries, and everyone was up in arms. You can't have it both ways. Either CPS investigates all suspicious incidents, they get bigger budgets and more resources, or you'll hear more of these awful stories.

Of course it goes the same way for most states not being able to prosecute most children who die because parents believe in faith healing as well. Parents are up in arm when it happens, but anytime someone suggests you alter the rules to prosecute then go nuts.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
The mom had issues - it says in the article that she ran away from a chaotic home herself.
She must have had homebirths with no doctors or midwife in attendance since there were no birth certificates unless they had some medical help who did not report the births.
They were living in one room on the second floor, so it is certainly possible that no one heard or saw the kids.
I feel really sorry for the kids. What a nightmare!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:00 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Defense is trying to turn this into a religious thing. What a crock.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:00 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
What makes this sad, is how many other children are like that in our country? And I am amazed at children who are kidnapped, and then later returned to their families...Jaycee Duggar is one, and Elizabeth Smart is another one...no one turned those "parents" in...it was just random that those people were caught. Americans are so fierce about independence, and letting people be free to do their own thing, that we don't really look into other people's business that much. I guess, when it comes to something strange, and there are kids involved, we need to be more nosy, and make sure kids are safe.

I can see the religious angle, that is the reason many people use to "homeschool" their children...which makes it all the more problematic to detect problems. I think that even if children are homeschooled, there should be a law of some sort, the requires the children to come to one week of school a year for standardized testing, or something...to verify that the children are actually safe.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:36 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What makes this sad, is how many other children are like that in our country? And I am amazed at children who are kidnapped, and then later returned to their families...Jaycee Duggar is one, and Elizabeth Smart is another one...no one turned those "parents" in...it was just random that those people were caught. Americans are so fierce about independence, and letting people be free to do their own thing, that we don't really look into other people's business that much. I guess, when it comes to something strange, and there are kids involved, we need to be more nosy, and make sure kids are safe.

I can see the religious angle, that is the reason many people use to "homeschool" their children...which makes it all the more problematic to detect problems. I think that even if children are homeschooled, there should be a law of some sort, the requires the children to come to one week of school a year for standardized testing, or something...to verify that the children are actually safe.

A lot of states allow religious exemptions to do essentially unmonitored homeschooling...that is what is needed to be done away with.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Woo hoo, the "this is why people should not be allowed to homeschool" card was brought out by the second page of this thread!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:06 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
This is an awful situation, to be sure. But it's not a reason for the gov't to oversee every.single.family who decides to homeschool. Ridiculous.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
I had a friend give his 3 YO daughter a bath. DFS yanked the child after D/C alerted DFS that Dad gave her a bath (he was married, mom was making dinner). They put the kid into foster care until the father moved into a motel. It took them 3 months to correct the matter.

In my case my X-wife refused to give our 3 YO daughter a bath, so I did. After the split she threatened to call DFS unless I gave her more alimony. My mom would come over to give my daughter a bath.

These coupled with the OP case tend to make DFS look like a bunch of lazy bumbling fools. In reality there is no easy answer, it is a no-win situation for anyone involved. I'd hate to work there. It must be gut-wrenching. The parents in the OP should be fried if you ask me.

I'm sorry if this offends you, but I have a really hard time believing this story.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 AM

345 posts, read 474,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm sorry if this offends you, but I have a really hard time believing this story.
A lot happens in family court that is difficult to believe, especially to fathers seeking custody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting