U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 03:05 PM

196 posts, read 166,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh ok. Well you better tell that to thousands of people the program has helped over the past 70 years or so. LOL
LOL!

The truth is people rarely succeed when following the path of those in AA. As stated previously, 95% of the existing treatment centers in the United States adhere to the 12 Step philosophies. Not surprising, the success rate of treatment is no different from the success rate of AA: 3%

Baldwin Research Institute -- Treatment Doesn't Work
Science-Based Medicine » AA is Faith-Based, Not Evidence-Based
We're addicted to rehab. It doesn't even work.

Plus, it's no place for kids.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:21 PM

9,234 posts, read 7,241,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think that question is best answered by the individuals/counselors leading the AA meetings. Is it respectful to the other attendees in the meetings to have to tolerate interruptions by very young children? Again, perhaps the counselors can suggest someone or possibley share costs with another attendee who also needs babysitting for the time of the meeting. Might check with area churches to see if they have members offer babysitting services for parents trying to overcome addictions.

As a responsible parent you need to actively network and create a support system for the welfare of yourself and your children. Humans are social beings and we do better when we have others to help and to help us. No, not everyone has a supportive family but as adults we can make friends and associations to benefit ourselves and our children. Local churches can be a great resource in networking with members of your community.
There are no counselors at AA meetings. AA meetings are not "run" by anybody. There is nobody in authority, as such. The group selects someone to secretary each meeting who then collects the finances and unlocks the meeting room for their particular meeting, and announces what type of meeting it is, but there are no counselors per se. The only requirement for an AA group to exist is that they are self sufficient and do not take outside donations in order to keep going. The only requirement for a person to attend an AA meeting is the desire to stop drinking.

I think you're missing the point in your last paragraph. By the time someone finds themselves desperate enough to attend an AA meeting, they've often lost the support of everybody they know and may not ever get it back. Therefore, the immediate need of someone to help with childcare may not be available to them, and they may not be in such a frame of mind that they are able to reach out to the broader community.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:40 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,456,110 times
NO! NO! NO! Did I say that loud enough? Do not take your children to an AA meeting. Why? Because many of those meetings have child molesters at them, they are usually on parole, and because they have addiction problems as well, they are required to go to meetings by Adult Probation and Parole. The goal is that molesters are kept busy, going to "healthy" activities for them, that do not associate with children...the "assumption" is that AA meetings would not have children there...

Plus, your children could be a real distraction for those who are serious about attending meetings. They don't need the distraction of kids there.

And final, some of the things said at meetings is not appropriate for children, in addition, what about the level of smoke in those meetings? Unless you only go to fresh air groups.

You may be able to find a special meeting, with moms and kids, check at your local mental health agency, they may be able to identify a special group for you, that is okay.

If you are SO desperate to go to a meeting...and have no child care, there are AA groups online, and there is usually a drop off place for no charge for parents for an hour or so run by CPS, they may know of an agency that provides this service.

Last edited by jasper12; 12-01-2010 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
NO! NO! NO! Did I say that loud enough? Do not take your children to an AA meeting. Why? Because many of those meetings have child molesters at them, they are usually on parole, and because they have addiction problems as well, they are required to go to meetings by Adult Probation and Parole. The goal is that molesters are kept busy, going to "healthy" activities for them, that do not associate with children...the "assumption" is that AA meetings would not have children there...

Plus, your children could be a real distraction for those who are serious about attending meetings. They don't need the distraction of kids there.

And final, some of the things said at meetings is not appropriate for children, in addition, what about the level of smoke in those meetings? Unless you only go to fresh air groups.

You may be able to find a special meeting, with moms and kids, check at your local mental health agency, they may be able to identify a special group for you, that is okay.

If you are SO desperate to go to a meeting...and have no child care, there are AA groups online, and there is usually a drop off place for no charge for parents for an hour or so run by CPS, they may know of an agency that provides this service.
Oh DEAR. Firstly, court mandated AA attendees are easy to spot and everybody knows who they are. They have to have their court cards signed by the secretary of the meeting. What do you think they are going to do? Molest your child in the middle of a crowded room? There are child molesters everywhere in our society, and if you never want them to see your child, you should keep them at home at all times. On second thought, most children are molested at home by people they know, so then what do you do?

Secondly, a kid quietly coloring or otherwise occupied in a meeting really doesn't disturb anybody. If they start to cause a disruption you can always leave. It's not rocket science.

Thirdly, there is no smoking at any AA meeting that I know of. This is real life, not the movies. You can't smoke in any public building that I'm aware of, anymore.

Fourthly, if you think a child is hanging on to every word spoken at a meeting, which they could care less about, then you are mistaken.

The majority of people at an AA meeting are professionals, doctors, SAHM's, laywers, postmasters, grandparents - just about anybody you can think of. It's not made up of skulky looking people in raincoats with a ciggie hanging out of one corner of their mouths.

Please don't give people who may need this yet one more excuse not to go. If you are on the fence about going to a meeting and you have nowhere to leave your child please go. They are very kind people and somebody will help you with regards to what to do about childcare, or help you find a good meeting option.

Just go, if you need to. The people in that room will be glad you came, toddler/kid/infant and all.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh DEAR. Firstly, court mandated AA attendees are easy to spot and everybody knows who they are. They have to have their court cards signed by the secretary of the meeting. What do you think they are going to do? Molest your child in the middle of a crowded room? There are child molesters everywhere in our society, and if you never want them to see your child, you should keep them at home at all times. On second thought, most children are molested at home by people they know, so then what do you do?

Secondly, a kid quietly coloring or otherwise occupied in a meeting really doesn't disturb anybody. If they start to cause a disruption you can always leave. It's not rocket science.

Thirdly, there is no smoking at any AA meeting that I know of. This is real life, not the movies. You can't smoke in any public building that I'm aware of, anymore.

Fourthly, if you think a child is hanging on to every word spoken at a meeting, which they could care less about, then you are mistaken.

The majority of people at an AA meeting are professionals, doctors, SAHM's, laywers, postmasters, grandparents - just about anybody you can think of. It's not made up of skulky looking people in raincoats with a ciggie hanging out of one corner of their mouths.

Please don't give people who may need this yet one more excuse not to go. If you are on the fence about going to a meeting and you have nowhere to leave your child please go. They are very kind people and somebody will help you with regards to what to do about childcare, or help you find a good meeting option.

Just go, if you need to. The people in that room will be glad you came, toddler/kid/infant and all.
What do I think they'll do? Follow you home & molest your kid there, or bonk you over the head in a parking lot... FFS they're addicts.

I can't believe anyone would even consider endangering their child by exposing him to a room full of addicts talking about how much casual sex they did, how they hurt people, and how terrible they were... and when they're done, everyone applauds!?! Talk about mixed signals.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
What do I think they'll do? Follow you home & molest your kid there, or bonk you over the head in a parking lot... FFS they're addicts.

I can't believe anyone would even consider endangering their child by exposing him to a room full of addicts talking about how much casual sex they did, how they hurt people, and how terrible they were... and when they're done, everyone applauds!?! Talk about mixed signals.
They can follow you down the street while you're walking to the corner store and bonk you on the head anytime.. and you won't have the fellow AA people around to look out for you then.

You don't know anything at all about AA if you think that's what an AA meeting is about. Children are not "endangered" there.

If the discussion starts getting uncomfortable you can always use those things coming out your ass... and those would be your legs, not some people's uneducated opinions.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 PM

I know AA is full of alcoholics and many of them are probably addicted to other substances as well. I also know some people show up to meetings just to troll for drug contacts.

I'm not sure which of those is a good influence on children, especially when drug abuse is basically the topic.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:49 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,571,209 times
Quote:
I know AA is full of alcoholics and many of them are probably addicted to other substances as well. I also know some people show up to meetings just to troll for drug contacts.

I'm not sure which of those is a good influence on children, especially when drug abuse is basically the topic.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Excuse me, but your ignorance is showing. Handling your day to day life without getting effed up is basically the topic. How to live your life as a better mother, father, daughter, son, coworker, neighbor is basically the topic. How to serve others and make amends to those you've harmed is basically the topic.

Which one of those is not a good influence on children?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:56 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,571,209 times
To each his own I guess. I think they should only be taken as a complete and utter LAST resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or