Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:55 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good post.

I'm sure most people wouldn't take children to an AA meeting through choice. But if it comes down to going to a meeting, and having to take your children along as you have no alternative, or not going, I would far rather people go.

I'm not advocating you leave the child alone. If there is no other way around it then I guess you would have to bring them as a last resort.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:02 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieEve View Post
I think you should still be able to voice your opinion even if you are not an alcoholic. My opinion is children should only attend these meetings AS A LAST RESORT if no other child care is available. Many people on this thread feel the same way.
...and I stand by it.

I asked you for your reasoning behind it. You can stand by your opinion, but on what EVIDENCE did you base it? Many people who "feel" the same way, much as yourself, know ABSOLUTELY nothing about it.

I've tried to explain a few things here, given that some people obviously (thank goodness) have no experience with it. Yet you have not acknowledged one thing I've posted nor backed up any of your "opinions" with any real world basis for having them.

Would you care to explain why you feel this way? What do you stand by?
I'd really like to know.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'd say if you've never been an alcoholic and don't know anyone who is, then you're not qualified to voice an opinion. Y'know, sort of like how if you never had kids...and so on.
Yes, AC, isn't it funny how that only seems to work for people when it comes to parenting, but on every other topic they can voice as ignorant an opinion as they wish.

"Hey, I don't have to be a pilot to tell you how to fly a plane. Hell, I've never even left the ground, but here's my opinion regarding those aileron thingies."

It's profoundly irritating.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,929 times
I would say that children should not be brought to the meetings for a few reasons:

1 - Toddlers/small children will not be quiet and may run around, cry, play, and have to be watched by the parent which in turn removes their focus from the actual meeting. It can disrupt the flow of the meeting for the other participants as well.

2 - Bringing children does not consider the other people there who may be uncomfortable breaking down or speaking of adult matters in front of kids and the whole purpose of AA is to be able to pour your heart out without fear of being ridiculed or embarrassed.

3 - Kids that are older may recognize people from their neighborhood and tell friends about it. Not in a mean way, just in the way that kids just talk.
The people I know that have gone to AA did so very discreetly.

I don't think there's anything wrong with letting kids know that some people have problems and need support to help them through it. I think if there is a regular, core group of people at a particular meeting, once the actual meeting is over, someone could raise the subject of anyone minding if they brought their kids if they were unable to find a sitter and really wanted to come.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I asked you for your reasoning behind it. You can stand by your opinion, but on what EVIDENCE did you base it? Many people who "feel" the same way, much as yourself, know ABSOLUTELY nothing about it.

I've tried to explain a few things here, given that some people obviously (thank goodness) have no experience with it. Yet you have not acknowledged one thing I've posted nor backed up any of your "opinions" with any real world basis for having them.

Would you care to explain why you feel this way? What do you stand by?
I'd really like to know.

Gee. last time I checked I thought this was an internet message board. I had no idea I was supposed to write up a doctoral thesis backing up my opinion
I thought I was allowed to give my opinion in the fashion that I pleased
I am under no obligation to defend my opinions to you.

Last edited by KylieEve; 12-03-2010 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-03-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Gee. last time I checked I thought this was an internet message board. I had no idea I was supposed to write up a doctoral thesis backing up my opinion
I thought I was allowed to give my opinion in the fashion that I pleased
In other words, you have no basis for it. Even on an internet message board, if you express an opinion and somebody asks why you have that particular opinion - you should be able to provide some reason for it.

Even if it's just based on what you've seen in the movies - which I think is probably the case here.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
In other words, you have no basis for it. Even on an internet message board, if you express an opinion and somebody asks why you have that particular opinion - you should be able to provide some reason for it.

Even if it's just based on what you've seen in the movies - which I think is probably the case here.

I have no desire to continue arguing with you. I've got better things to do. You're never going to agree with me or at least show some respect for my opinion so why bother????

Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Why do I have a sudden desire for strawberry shortcake?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why do I have a sudden desire for strawberry shortcake?
dang...I just repped you for something else....LOL

Old 12-03-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I have no desire to continue arguing with you. I've got better things to do. You're never going to agree with me or at least show some respect for my opinion so why bother????
I'm not arguing with you. I'm asking you to elaborate on why you have your particular opinion, especially in light of the fact that you are not an alcoholic and you don't know anybody who is.

And I think it's pretty funny that you would state that I'm never going to agree with you when I would think by now that it's BLINDINGLY obvious that I have personally taken my child to several AA meetings and that I might actually know what I'm talking about.

Seeing as you don't know any alcoholics, let me introduce myself. Hi, I'm FinsterRufus and I'm an alcoholic. There, now you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting