Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because it is a violation of the teacher/student relationship. And with regards to sex, the age of consent for most children is younger than that.
I agree that students and teachers should not be having sex regardless of the age of the student. It is a violation of the teacher/student relationship and it is also a misuse of the authority of the teacher.

However, the person who made the post mentioned handcuffs, as if it were a crime. A teacher having sex with a student will get you fired around here (as it should). However, I do not think it is a crime. Does that vary by state?

Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I agree that students and teachers should not be having sex regardless of the age of the student. It is a violation of the teacher/student relationship and it is also a misuse of the authority of the teacher.

However, the person who made the post mentioned handcuffs, as if it were a crime. A teacher having sex with a student will get you fired around here (as it should). However, I do not think it is a crime. Does that vary by state?
Yes, some states, have laws that treat any sexual violation of the teacher/student relationship, even if they students is an adult as a crime. But most states treat students, even those over the age of consent as being unable to consent legally to a sexual relationship with a teacher. So in many states it is a crime for a teacher to have sex with a 16 or 17 year old, while it is legal for them to have sex with any other adult.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
My father was a US Marine. He kept a very close eye on his 3 daughters who were born in 1953, 1960, and 1965. We were taught to respect ourselves, or no man would. I believe I can quote my mom. "No man wants a woman who has been tossed around like a dirty wash cloth."
If that were true, who would be doing the tossing?

Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You are right but when a 26 year old school teacher has sex with a 18 years old varisty football player it's get ready for the handcuffs time.
That would not be illegal either, unless the football player alleged coercion.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well that is an entirely different story. Adults in positions of authority should not be having sex with minors. It is against the law and should be prosecuted. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with parents threatening to beat up a teen simply for having consensual sex.
Teens do occasionally have consensual sex with people in positions of authority too.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Two children of the same age, whether it is 11 or 15 is also not statutory rape.
Not true in many states, including my state of Michigan.

In Michigan two 15-year-olds having sex is third degree rape ("criminal sexual conduct") of each by the other. Two 11-year-olds having sex is first degree rape. The laws are not usually enforced to the maximum possible extent in these cases, but they are there.

In Utah around 2005, a 13-year-old was made pregnant by her 12-year old boyfriend, and both ended up with felony convictions and on the sex offender registry.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I would make sure my daughter was on birth control and visit the doc for STD testing. a parent shouldn't hide their head in the sand if they are having sex at home you better believe she is having sex elsewhere. the barn door is already open
Sorry to bring the thread back to the original topic, but, I agree with Hot.

Look, preaching to your kids, crossing your fingers, and hoping for the best does not work. Look at Bristol Palin. She was raised in an "abstinence only" household and still got pregnant.

Wake up, parents. Teenagers ARE having sex, regardless of what you have "taught" them.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:24 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
If that were true, who would be doing the tossing?
How old are you? Some of us were raised in very traditional backgrounds, and I for one am greatful that I can look back anx be proud that I was not sleepimg around ever. I believe if more people took the effort to teach their kids to wait, and why...there would be alot less teen pregnancy and STDS.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
How old are you?

Quote:
Some of us were raised in very traditional backgrounds, and I for one am greatful that I can look back anx be proud that I was not sleepimg around ever.
I am grateful that I know how to spell grateful. As for sex, I wish I'd had more of it as a teenager, not less.

Quote:
I believe if more people took the effort to teach their kids to wait, and why...there would be alot less teen pregnancy and STDS.
Believe anything you like, but the facts are not in your favor. Countries with comprehensive sex ed have less teen pregnancy and STD transmission than the backward, virginity-touting U.S.

You didn't answer my point, which is that you contradicted yourself (or rather, your mom contradicted herself.) If no man wants a woman who is tossed around, how is she getting tossed around?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

I am grateful that I know how to spell grateful. As for sex, I wish I'd had more of it as a teenager, not less.

Believe anything you like, but the facts are not in your favor. Countries with comprehensive sex ed have less teen pregnancy and STD transmission than the backward, virginity-touting U.S.

You didn't answer my point, which is that you contradicted yourself (or rather, your mom contradicted herself.) If no man wants a woman who is tossed around, how is she getting tossed around?
If I could answer you the way I want to right now, it would not be pleasant. How dare you? I tried to correct my typos and it is not showing up here. As for the tossed around comment, my Mother was with ONE man her whole life, MY DAD. As far as your sex life as a teenager, I could care less. Your parents must be proud. I know mine were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting