Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,845,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Is this current information? Based on the (admittedly smallish sample of) teens I know, I would think that the starting age is closer to 16 nowadays? Maybe it was about 17 when I was that age, 18ish years ago... but even then, most of my friends were active by 16.
From the attached link: "Teens are waiting longer to have sex than they did in the recent past. In 2006–2008, some 11% of never-married females aged 15–19 and 14% of never-married males that age had had sex before age 15, compared with 19% and 21%, respectively, in 1995."

Facts on American Teens' Sexual and Reproductive Health

Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,525,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Two children of the same age, whether it is 11 or 15 is also not statutory rape.
Quote:

Also, it is legal in most states for a 16 yo to consent to sex with anyone older than them. Meaning it is completely legal for a 16 yo to have sex with a 40 year old. Gross but legal.

when the children are the same age or in some cases 2 or 3 years apart it's legal.....

in states with a consent age of 16 - however some states have a age of consent of 17 or 18 for california...i for the life of me can't figure out why california age of consent is 18 we have the most sexual experienced teens in the world....(??)

Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,067,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
we have the most sexual experienced teens in the world....(??)
Lol, I would love to see your source for that.

It was set at 18 in 1913. (At one time it was as low as 12.) The law was written to protect children from being sexually exploited by adults.

CA has a long history of laws written to protect children. This is one of them. (You'll notice Roman Polanski has never returned.)

Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,668,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
According to the attached link 13% of teens have had sex by the age of 15, which would mean that more than 13% of teens who have reached the age of 15 (and 16) would have had sex. So clearly, it's normal for 15-16 year olds to have sex.

I am not sure why you appear to be trying to correct me when I already stated 15-16 years old was a normal age for sexual activity to begin.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,877,449 times
Personally, I think parents need to realize that teens are going through alot of conflicting ideas, hormones, peer presure, etc.
I think that' it's now almost impossible to prevent a child from having sex once they have their mind set on it. Espically guys, teen guys are always after sex, which is natural, i personally think that many fathers should sit down and talk to their son and teach them before they go out and have sex/

Old 08-13-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I am not sure why you appear to be trying to correct me when I already stated 15-16 years old was a normal age for sexual activity to begin.
I wasn't trying to correct you. I was posting a link to support what you had said before.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Personally, I think parents need to realize that teens are going through alot of conflicting ideas, hormones, peer presure, etc.
I think that' it's now almost impossible to prevent a child from having sex once they have their mind set on it. Espically guys, teen guys are always after sex, which is natural, i personally think that many fathers should sit down and talk to their son and teach them before they go out and have sex/
It's NOT JUST GUYS!!! Teen girls want sex also. See this link:

If you look carefully you will see the following quote:

"Seven percent of young women aged 18–24 who had had sex before age 20 report that their first sexual experience was nonvoluntary. Those whose first partner was three or more years their senior were more likely to report this than were other women in the same age-group"

This means that 93% of young women who had sex did so voluntarily. They weren't forced.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:13 PM

13,978 posts, read 25,874,479 times
Quote:
I think you do a great disservice to teenage boys when you say stuff like this. Girls are just as eager to have sex as boys. I remember!

As I said way back when this thread just started, my high schooler's girlfriend came to our house in the middle of the night and climbed through his bedroom window. Now the boys are in college, and their girlfriends are occasional overnight guests. I always supply a guest room. And, I always find the girls cuddled in bed with the boys in the morning, in the boys' rooms.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,237,676 times
Quote:
You know how many of my friends complain their young boyfriends don't want sex as much as them? The myth of the horny teen boy is just that a myth. All people have varying sex drives that tend to balance out as equal. Some girls want a lot some don't, some boys want a lot some don't. That view of yours died in the 1950's . Girls can be just as sex drive, perverted,and naughty as guys are.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:20 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,237,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think you do a great disservice to teenage boys when you say stuff like this. Girls are just as eager to have sex as boys. I remember!

As I said way back when this thread just started, my high schooler's girlfriend came to our house in the middle of the night and climbed through his bedroom window. Now the boys are in college, and their girlfriends are occasional overnight guests. I always supply a guest room. And, I always find the girls cuddled in bed with the boys in the morning, in the boys' rooms.
Maybe they are knitting scarves together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.