Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:57 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Somebody pull out the fainting couch, quick.
You crack me up.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn View Post
Moderator Cut

Teenagers shouldn't have sex because they are not adults. Their bodies and emotions are not fully developed...
You should have told humanity about this millennia ago. Why were you holding us back??

Old 08-16-2013, 09:58 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Moderator Cut

Teenagers shouldn't have sex because they are not adults. Their bodies and emotions are not fully developed, they do not support themselves, and frankly they're just to immature to deal with the consequences of early sexual behavior (raising a child, emotional scars from STDs) But most of all, they are not self-sufficient people and their parents are still responsible for their well-being. Sex is better when you're grown, mature, don't have to sneak around and have the maturity to deal with the consequences.

Once again, if this was my child, they'd have a choice. Be an adult, that comes with consequences, be a child, that comes with one thing: Stay selebent til 18 years old, or until you're out of my house.
Except you can't kick your under 18 year old child out of the house . You also by law can't require your children to pay for their basic necessities. You as a parent have to provide them, and if you don't you can be criminally charged with child neglect. And no it's not likely your child will be scared at all. With teens, the worse thing you can do is demand they stop something you personally don't like. You could logically talk to your child on why you don't believe sex at his/her age is a bad choice. And that might sink in to the point that they might agree with you. But if you do what you say then you will just ensure your child does exactly what you don't want just to get a rise out of you. And all this talk of what you will do or not do as a parent is irrelevant, because you don't really know what you will do. You also will have a variable you are not counting on, which is your wife. She might not agree with your 1930's view on the world, and not consent to any of that.

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 08-16-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You're comparing driving to 14 year olds, immature and foolish, to have sex? 14 year olds should be playing basketball, playing imaginary battles, /NOT/ having intercourse with another girl. "What do we do? We can't stop them. Teens will be teens". Is the most lamest excuse ever. Parents have the ability to prevent their child from having sex. They have the ability and, I hope, the nobility to do such an act. But, no, good ahead and give them condoms and birth control. Encourage them to have sex as much as you'd like, however, until we Moderator Cut stand up for what's right, this effort is meanginless.
Parents have the ability to help delay sex, but not stop. Unless your child is locked up all day within room with you, then you can't really stop what they choose to do sexually. If you get them involved in activities, promote education, and talk about sex with them, then you will help delay it. But if you actually think you can stop it then you will be the one amazed when this child comes home with a baby :-P.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Adolesence, and there's still a chance modern medicene can fail, have no business having sex. Give me one GOOD, BENEFICIAL, HELPFUL reason adolesence between 13-17 should engage in any sort of sexual intercourse with anyone? You can't. My point on immaturity may be broad, but my point remains. Teenagers, adolesence, should not have sex until adulthood. When they reach adulthood, it's their decision, PERIOD.

Where am I going wrong?
Actually 40 states disagree with you on that one :-P. What helpful reason is there for anyone to have sex really? It fulfills a primal need in humans is all.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
This is what's wrong with America AND the world. This is what's wrong. The breakdown of traditionalism and the uprising of a secular state where 14 year olds are having sex with eachother. The problem is, number 1. SEX AT A YOUNG AGE, studies have found, have hurt those who's brains were devloping. Care about a child's intellect? You'll prevent them from having sex until 18. Want their IQ to be able to spike, want their talents to be able to be used? Stop stunting that by allowing them sex. What's the problem? Moderator Cut That's the problem.
Very few 14 year olds are having sex with anyone besides themselves. The average age for first sex is around 17. But it's not until 19-20 that most people have had their first partner. But in reality some people are ready younger. Just because you don't think so, doesn't make it fact.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Depending on the state, it's legal under 15 with close age exceptions in some.
I don't know the laws here precisely, probably does have something about close age exceptions like you said.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:09 PM

254 posts, read 419,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Parents have the ability to help delay sex, but not stop. Unless your child is locked up all day within room with you, then you can't really stop what they choose to do sexually. If you get them involved in activities, promote education, and talk about sex with them, then you will help delay it. But if you actually think you can stop it then you will be the one amazed when this child comes home with a baby :-P.

Parents can prevent people under 18 from having sex. If they're 18 and older, they can have sex, just not in my residence or while they're under my roof.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:14 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Parents can prevent people under 18 from having sex. If they're 18 and older, they can have sex, just not in my residence or while they're under my roof.
I suppose you could lock them in the house.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:35 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
If you have good morals, hopefully you will pass this on to your children and they will wait until they are mature enough to have sex.

Some of you are living in the dark ages, trust your parenting skills too much and trust your children to listen to you.

Don't kid yourself that your son or daughter won't have sex if you discipline them and teach them from an early age that sex is for "when you are older". Once they get those urges, they might or might not remember what the consequences are or what you taught them. Each child is different, but peer pressure and media makes a HUGE impact on them.

If you walk in on your child having sex, I say to shut the door, heck, SLAM it if you want! (the chub will be gone as soon as they hear the door open), and wait until they come out. Then sit them BOTH down and tell them you are very disappointed, go over the fact that they are too young to have a baby, repeat yourself on the dangers of STD's and then hope that they listen.

Accept the fact that if they want to have sex after that, they will find a way, so don't even bother with threats or huge long dramatic sermons. They will shut you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting