Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times

Advertisements

The Inflation of Life - Cost of Raising a Child Has Soared - Yahoo! Finance

Quote:
"If you sat down to tally up the total cost of having children, you'd never have them," says Timothy Knotts, a father of four and a certified financial planner with The Hogan-Knotts Financial Group in Red Bank N.J. "It's a very expensive adventure."

Talk about a life-changing event. That's a lot of vacations, clothing, and restaurant dinners you may no longer enjoy.
This here is enough to scare me outta having kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Yes it is eye opening but I doubt these numbers will persuade people not to have more or even the first kid. A lot of folks just don't want to know the facts and go on "what the heart wants, the heart wants".

There are ways to do it without going broke. Late in life (REAL late) we decided to adopt 2 more. i bought everything we needed from furniture to clothes for the first 4-5 years at consignment sales. What I could make I did. Cloth diapers We decided to be very frugal with extra expensive activities like dance, play school, nursery school, etc.

I think the biggest shock comes with child care but that was not an issue for us. We also have great health insurance. And I do 95% of our food preparation with few processed foods. Eating out and processed food can get expensive.

Ultimately it comes down to priorities and we all have to make our own choices about what is best for our lifestyles and futures.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,728 times
The saddest part of the article for me is the advice to pay off your credit cards and practice living on less before the baby comes. People need to be told this?

I rarely buy anything new for our son and plan to do this as long as i can get away with it. At some point I guess he'll notice that his Christmas and Birthday presents don't come in boxes and we may have to reevaluate. 99.9 percent of his clothes come from consignment sales. I read a post yesterday (I think it was on this site somewhere) where a person was angry that a family was supposedly poor but the kids were wearing designer clothes, while the poster bought clothes in Target. My son has a lot of Ralph Lauren shirts but they were $2 a piece! Now I wonder if people think I spend a fortune on his clothes when in fact designer consignment is cheaper than new from Target!

We used to spend most of our discretionary money on great vacations. They will be few and far between now and way less "fabulous" when we do go but I'm glad to make that small sacrifice. The rewards so far are worth it.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,230 times
I always find these kinds of articles to be a bit exaggerative. Like all the "What you REALLY need to save for retirement!" articles that assume you're going to live a lavish post-working lifestyle in an expensive east coast city, taking a cruise or European vacation every year...

Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Yes MaseMan...very exaggerated......for each of our four children, we would buy a couple of flannel sheets and cut our own diapers....3 dozen/child was the perfect amount for the whole 2-3 years that they used them, at a cost of $20/child total...after that they made great shop rags.....momma breast fed (no bottles to clean and sterilize)...second hand clothes can be of high quality yet cost little...we used hand me downs....we ground our own baby food....toys are a dime a dozen....and when I really think about it...it wasn't expensive at all, especially when they were young...so fear not The Dissenter...if you really want children, they don't have to cost you an arm and a leg...that's just all commercial propaganda

Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
I never understood these data points. I have four kids and it costs me $189 per year per kid. Food is practically negligible, they water and electricity they use is negligible. I save on taxes. Clothes are often hand me downs or gifts. The marginal costs are nothing. We'd still have a mortgage if we didn't have kids. We'd still have taxes and other expenses if we didn't have kids.

Now, I spend $800+ a month for the older two to be in competitive cheer, another five thousand a year for soccer and swim teams. I save $2K per year per kid for college in Education IRAs. They have typical kids toys like ipods (from craigslist) and cell phones (cheap, base models) but all of these are non-necessities and shouldn't be figured into the figures reported in the article.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:04 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,801 times
Thumbs down They Say The Cost of Raising a Child Has Soared

This is dumb and crazy spending
trying to keep up with the other Jones" ...

They are trying to say it takes $287,000 to raise a child to age 17 from birth.

Roughly $16882 a year ... Or Say $46.00 a day just for one child ...

Wonder if they figured in a $20.00 a week allowance
for the poor deprived kid ...

Read about the WASTE here :

The Inflation of Life - Cost of Raising a Child Has Soared - Yahoo! Finance

Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Well, most of the study says nothing about "keeping up with the Jones."

It DOES say that housing costs make up about one-third of that amount, child care/education (NOT college) make up 17%, and food makes up 16%.

Here is the actual study:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/CRC/crc2010.pdf

Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, most of the study says nothing about "keeping up with the Jones."

It DOES say that housing costs make up about one-third of that amount, child care/education (NOT college) make up 17%, and food makes up 16%.

Here is the actual study:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/CRC/crc2010.pdf
The problem with the assumption of housing costs is in many cases, the marginal costs aren't that high. A childless couple will still have housing costs and they won't increase proportionally with additional kids.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
The cost of everything has gone up so why would this be shocking to anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting