Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:23 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the baby would be fine, but there's no way I'd do it. I'm a natural worrywart, and I would not be able to relax and enjoy myself. You know yourselves best, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 03:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
You are kidding right? Just because you become parents doesn't mean that you are supposed to do nothing but be parents.
But 9 DAYS away from a newborn???? I don't think so paganmamma - most mothers would have a very hard time enjoying themselves in this situation.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:35 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
If the concern is whether or not a family can have a fun vacation with a young baby, then yes, absolutely. You can bring your kids all kinds of places, and a five-month-old is still taking naps; our son at that age was still able to sleep in his stroller, which was great. Those of you who think vacations can be done only with adults are really missing out on a lot of opportunities. Just do the things you like to do -- most babies can come along to most vacation activities -- and get a sitter for the times when you want to do some adults-only activities.

I think it's all going to come down to the mother's (since the dad is posting, and hasn't automatically said no) opinion; will she feel miserable and stressed if she's gone from her very young baby that long? I would. Others won't. But don't let fear or the idea that babies can't come along on vacations stop you, either. You can still have a great, even relaxing, time if all three of you go.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:38 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
With small children i said. As they get older they are a tad less dependent on you and can enjoy the trip more and it is then a vacation. But when we went on vacation when our kids were 3 3 and 1 it was pure misery.
I think it's a matter of people's views of what constitutes a vacation and what doesn't. I don't feel the need for a 'break' from my kids and neither does my husband. Our kids are well traveled and have benefited greatly from learning how to behave on an airplane or in a restaurant at an early age in my opinion. I'm sure they could have benefited as greatly from the alternative if we had left them with grandparents etc.

You took your kids on vacation once when they were young and hated it. I went on vacation without my kid once and hated it. Neither of us are wrong.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:16 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But 9 DAYS away from a newborn???? I don't think so paganmamma - most mothers would have a very hard time enjoying themselves in this situation.

PaganMama is not the most maternal woman alive let me tell ya .

Old 12-04-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I think it's a matter of people's views of what constitutes a vacation and what doesn't. I don't feel the need for a 'break' from my kids and neither does my husband. Our kids are well traveled and have benefited greatly from learning how to behave on an airplane or in a restaurant at an early age in my opinion. I'm sure they could have benefited as greatly from the alternative if we had left them with grandparents etc.

You took your kids on vacation once when they were young and hated it. I went on vacation without my kid once and hated it. Neither of us are wrong.
You always need alone time to your husband and you. While i take my kids go with my most places i don't think never having couple time is healthy. Very often couples who put kids first and themselves a very distant third that don't survive when the babies leave the nest.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It seems like you are trying to make this thread your own thread.

This thread about the OP and what we would do in the specific situation the OP presented.

Nope i'm not at all i'm just doing what i always do hopes .

Old 12-04-2010, 04:21 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Funny how you hate to leave them for 9 days when they are infants....but once they are teens you would easily leave them for 9 weeks.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I'm a big believer in packing them up from the time they're small and bringing them with. But it's not for everyone, I know. Having TWO people who WANTED to do it made it a whole lot easier for us.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Funny how you hate to leave them for 9 days when they are infants....but once they are teens you would easily leave them for 9 weeks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting