Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:48 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. I can see the honest parents filling out the papers asking why they want to adopt a child--"So that our natural child has a companion and will sleep in his own bed."
hehehehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 01:00 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It totally depends on the parenting style. Some parents prefer that relationship with their child over the strong authoritative style.

And it's not bad and it probably helps shape kids a certain way. If a parent works with the child and creates an inviting room and helps the child find ways to prefer his or her own room, it's not bad. And maybe the child is fearful or lonely and will get over it in time commanded to suffer in silence alone - but it doesn't HAVE to be that way.
I can see that.

I wasn't thinking the parent should take an authoritative tone and throw the kid out in anger, but just to explain that the natural order of things is that mom and dad's room is their room and Katy's room is Katy's and that's where she needs to sleep. Not in a mean way, just in a matter of fact way.

Has anyone in this situation tried a role reversal in which the mom or dad sleeps in the child's room until they fall asleep and then quietly leave? Maybe that could work?

Old 12-04-2010, 01:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They did this on Supernanny last night. First they brought some of the kid's toys into the room and spent 20 minutes hanging out in his bedroom playing with the toys with him. Then they put him in his bed, and the mother sat on the floor in the same spot with her back to the bed and they just let him scream and yell until he fell asleep. The father had his turn, too, but it took longer for the kid to fall asleep because the father kept trying to sneak out of the room before the kid was really asleep, lol. If the kid woke up, they had to put him back in bed and do the whole thing over again. It only took a few nights to get him to sleep in his own bed. The hard part was letting the kid scream for as long as it took.
Yah, that's why I don't watch Supernanny....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Has anyone in this situation tried a role reversal in which the mom or dad sleeps in the child's room until they fall asleep and then quietly leave? Maybe that could work?
That was my suggestion. I've done it with both of my kids.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:33 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Yah, that's why I don't watch Supernanny....

That was my suggestion. I've done it with both of my kids.

That's only the second time I've watched it. I thought she was pretty harsh and cold-hearted in some respects.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:19 AM

155 posts, read 125,628 times
Why are you in such a rush? She'll grow up so fast and you'll miss this time. Fortunately, I can get by on minimal sleep and we had sex other places. Ours slept with us until about 6, then slept on her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting