U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 AM

1,013 posts, read 4,190,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
She saw a show that had a little girl leaving the dinner table in a huff - and her response was "whew. SO glad I don't have a girl!" Really? Boys don't misbehave? Or get moody? Or mouthy? Wow. News to me.
Isn't this the truth, LOL. My little boy is a HANDFUL. I absoultely love him to pieces, but he definitely keeps Mama on her toes. He is a ball of energy that never stops. He is a huge blessing and I love every aspect of him, but I definitely wouldn't classify him as "easy".

I always wanted one of each, and I'm lucky because that's what I got. I had my son with no problems, then had a lot of difficulty (and 4 miscarriages) when trying to have our second. That really taught me just how un-important gender is. I was beyond despair and just wanted a healthy, sticky pregnancy. So when I was finally pregnant with my daughter, I was just so happy that I was pregnant and things were going well that I truely didn't care about the gender. When I found out she was a girl, it was just icing on the cake.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:03 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,417,653 times
For me raising both a boy and a girl I have to say its a little easier raising my daughter (so far) than it is raising my son because (IMO) before puberty girls have more common sense. When the rest of their natural hormones kick in it becomes an emotional roller coaster and that's when parenting gets a little tricky. With boys when they do stupid stuff you can tell them that what they did was stupid and why and one of two things will happen. Either they listen, or they learn on their own the hard way. With girls you have to approach the subject carefully making sure that you don't come off too harsh in order to avoid permanently damaging their self esteem.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 AM

89,045 posts, read 105,536,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
For me raising both a boy and a girl I have to say its a little easier raising my daughter (so far) than it is raising my son because (IMO) before puberty girls have more common sense. When the rest of their natural hormones kick in it becomes an emotional roller coaster and that's when parenting gets a little tricky. With boys when they do stupid stuff you can tell them that what they did was stupid and why and one of two things will happen. Either they listen, or they learn on their own the hard way. With girls you have to approach the subject carefully making sure that you don't come off too harsh in order to avoid permanently damaging their self esteem.
This is just another perpetuation of gender stereotypes. I have two daughters. One has to learn everything the hard way. The other occasionally learns from her mistakes the first time, not the 10th time, and learns from others as well. I had a co-worker with four daughters; she said the same thing. I didn't raise a son, but I'd think one would need to be careful about his self-esteem as well.

People who have one boy and one girl often think the differences in their kids are due to sex, when it's really just due to the kids.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:38 AM

11,545 posts, read 15,161,149 times
It's different for everyone. I thought the article was stupid. I have one of each, and for me my son was most definitely the more dramatic, more of a social butterfly with concerns about his looks, his clothes, his social standing, etc. My daughter never did care about all the 'girly' stuff, never was a drama queen or caused me any undue concern, and I can't say that parenting one was any more difficult than parenting the other, at least not as far as gender is concerned.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,870 times
@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Yes, I’m also a mother of six boys, and to be honest with you I love my boys. When I was younger, I admired women with equal balance of children. I thought the girls would help in the kitchen, while the boys would do the hard work in the house. Surprisingly for me, all my children are boys. Trust me, boys are the best to have. They are very easy to control, and can do any house chores, which I thought only girls, could do. Above all, I don’t have to worry about my girls going out to get pregnant. Only God knows, but I believe He has given me the best.

Gertrude Ansong

Old 12-06-2010, 05:34 PM

852 posts, read 1,199,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertrude Ansong View Post
@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Yes, I’m also a mother of six boys, and to be honest with you I love my boys. When I was younger, I admired women with equal balance of children. I thought the girls would help in the kitchen, while the boys would do the hard work in the house. Surprisingly for me, all my children are boys. Trust me, boys are the best to have. They are very easy to control, and can do any house chores, which I thought only girls, could do. Above all, I don’t have to worry about my girls going out to get pregnant. Only God knows, but I believe He has given me the best.

Gertrude Ansong
When my mother gave birth to me, the second of three girls, my father's cousin teased him about having another daughter. He said to my father, "At least I don't have to worry about my boys coming home pregnant." Guess whose SON got his girlfriend knocked up in high school?

Another failed argument for the superiority of boys. I would never say that girls are "the best to have" and if I did, I would expect to be called a sexist.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:19 PM

11,309 posts, read 10,871,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertrude Ansong View Post

Gertrude Ansong
And who gets the girls pregnant? Osmosis? Boys are equally culpable...their shlong causes a girl to get pregnant..or is it just her who needs to take care of that? And boys should do chores..or is it just a girl's role? And boys are easy to control? Tell that to the mom I saw out in the street dealing with her preschool son throwing himself to the floor full tantrum. BTW my mother, the greatest heroine to me ever, does all of the "hard work" in her house. She shovels snow.

Sorry...but posts like these are irritating.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM

89,045 posts, read 105,536,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And who gets the girls pregnant? Osmosis? Boys are equally culpable...their shlong causes a girl to get pregnant..or is it just her who needs to take care of that? And boys should do chores..or is it just a girl's role? And boys are easy to control? Tell that to the mom I saw out in the street dealing with her preschool son throwing himself to the floor full tantrum. BTW my mother, the greatest heroine to me ever, does all of the "hard work" in her house. She shovels snow.

Sorry...but posts like these are irritating.
Agreed. And these days, with paternity tests, there's no weasling out of it (paternity) by saying "She's a ****".

Old 12-07-2010, 03:04 PM

235 posts, read 457,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is just another perpetuation of gender stereotypes. I have two daughters. One has to learn everything the hard way. The other occasionally learns from her mistakes the first time, not the 10th time, and learns from others as well. I had a co-worker with four daughters; she said the same thing. I didn't raise a son, but I'd think one would need to be careful about his self-esteem as well.

People who have one boy and one girl often think the differences in their kids are due to sex, when it's really just due to the kids.
Agreed! I have 2 boys and they could not be more different! Nothing to do with being male, it's just who they are as individuals.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But I'm not saying only girls do anything. I'm saying I'm better suited to boys, as did the author of the article. What's wrong with that?

I realize that if I did have a daughter, I would love her and her interests. But, I'm not sorry for the way things worked out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You'll have a hard time believing this, but if you had had girls, you'd feel differently. How sexist to think that girls only do softball, soccer and ballet (and that boys only do baseball, football and rugby).
Yes,I'm also a mother of six boys, and to be honest with you I love my boys. When I was younger ,I admired women with equal balance of children. I thought the girls would help in the kitchen,while the boys would do the hard work in the house. Surprisingly for me,all my children are boys. Trust me,boys are the best to have. They are very easy to control,and can do any house chores, which I thought only girls, could do.Above all,I don't have to worry about my girls going out to get pregnant. Only God knows, but I believe he has given me the best. Gertrude Ansong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or