Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

I agree kids shouldn't be dragged from doctor to doctor, but you might try a gastroenterologist, too, regarding the reflux issue and possible food intolerances. I'd go by the allergist's recommendations; it's not fair to a kid to keep him from eating all sorts of food that could be enjoyable to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
I reccomend this book as well. Amazon.com: Is This Your Child (9780688119072): Doris Rapp: Books

If it's not a true allergy then an allergist won't be able to pick it up on any test. The only way to find out for sure is to do an elimination diet.

My dd has food intolerances and she had the bright red cheeks and dark under eye circles, reflux in addition to other symptoms. I'm glad I was able to figure out what foods she was reacting to as it made a world of difference for her.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:20 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I reccomend this book as well. Amazon.com: Is This Your Child (9780688119072): Doris Rapp: Books

If it's not a true allergy then an allergist won't be able to pick it up on any test. The only way to find out for sure is to do an elimination diet.

My dd has food intolerances and she had the bright red cheeks and dark under eye circles, reflux in addition to other symptoms. I'm glad I was able to figure out what foods she was reacting to as it made a world of difference for her.
Thanks. the book looks interesting, i'm going to look into this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I will say your son's naso-phayngeal and skin problems sound very much like environmental allergens. You don't mention GI symptoms, which would be more likely with food intolerances. Does he have diarrhea, lots of gas, nausea, you mention reflux, has he been tested for that?.
when he was a baby he was diagnosed and on medication. As he got older I weened him off and realized as long as he didnt lay down or go to sleep without waiting a couple of hours he was fine. try doing lunch and naptime like that. haha he was tested for all the environmental and that turned out fine. the reflux is the only thing he has from that list.

Quote:
When you say you took "milk" out if his diet did that include all forms of dairy even the hidden ones that are in everyday processed foods such as bread, crackers, etc.? How long did you remove it from his diet and what did you replace it with?

If you remove a potential allergen (or food that one is intolerant to) from the diet you should do so for at least three weeks. If you are testing for dairy it's wise to also avoid soy (even soy that is hidden in food and believe me it is hidden in A LOT of foods) as those two intolerances tend to go hand in hand.

It really does sound like he's reacting to something and I agree that it sounds more like an intolerance or sensitivity then a true allergy. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be taken seriously since it is causing him problems.
crap. I guess I didnt look into that well enough. I replaced the milk with soy.
I have noticed a slight difference since putting him on soy milk. He is back to having dairy but not a lot. I slowly introduced things back into his diet after about 6wks. I didnt even think about stuff like bread. Since I slowly introduce processed/pre packaged foods back into his diet, I still limit them. I read somewhere that the easist way to do that was simply to cut out things that were boxed or bagged. I cant do it all the way. still buy frozen veggies etc...
I hadnt thought about the gastroenterologist.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Does he sleep with his head elevated? (Reflux)

I'd also check for a hiatal hernia. (Not that I want to subject the poor kid to more testing.)

Old 12-08-2010, 03:15 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
Thanks. the book looks interesting, i'm going to look into this week.

when he was a baby he was diagnosed and on medication. As he got older I weened him off and realized as long as he didnt lay down or go to sleep without waiting a couple of hours he was fine. try doing lunch and naptime like that. haha he was tested for all the environmental and that turned out fine. the reflux is the only thing he has from that list.

crap. I guess I didnt look into that well enough. I replaced the milk with soy.
I have noticed a slight difference since putting him on soy milk. He is back to having dairy but not a lot. I slowly introduced things back into his diet after about 6wks. I didnt even think about stuff like bread. Since I slowly introduce processed/pre packaged foods back into his diet, I still limit them. I read somewhere that the easist way to do that was simply to cut out things that were boxed or bagged. I cant do it all the way. still buy frozen veggies etc...
I hadnt thought about the gastroenterologist.
I got really good at reading food labels. Having a health food store nearby makes it easier since there is a lot less crap in the food and the ingredients tend to be more straightforward. My dd reacted to milk and I put her on soy and she reacted to that in the same way. I ended up cutting out all dairy and soy for awhile and I eventually tried things that had soy oil and lecithin(since they are in everything!) as ingredients and she did fine with those (some people with soy intolerance can handle them and some can't). Rice, almond, hemp, coconut are all really good alternatives. Daiya makes a good melty vegan cheese. There are some GREAT coconut milk and Hemp milk ice cream alternatives out there. I actually prefer the coconut milk ice cream to regular. It's hard to cut out initially but once you get the hang of it it's very easy to maintain and not ever feel like you are depriving yourself. I became a much better cook after we sorted out dd's intolerances.

ETA: I just remembered that there is an option for testing for food intolerances if you just want to get it over and not mess with elimination diets.
https://www.enterolab.com/

Old 12-08-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Does he sleep with his head elevated? (Reflux)

I'd also check for a hiatal hernia. (Not that I want to subject the poor kid to more testing.)
yes

Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I got really good at reading food labels. Having a health food store nearby makes it easier since there is a lot less crap in the food and the ingredients tend to be more straightforward. My dd reacted to milk and I put her on soy and she reacted to that in the same way. I ended up cutting out all dairy and soy for awhile and I eventually tried things that had soy oil and lecithin(since they are in everything!) as ingredients and she did fine with those (some people with soy intolerance can handle them and some can't). Rice, almond, hemp, coconut are all really good alternatives. Daiya makes a good melty vegan cheese. There are some GREAT coconut milk and Hemp milk ice cream alternatives out there. I actually prefer the coconut milk ice cream to regular. It's hard to cut out initially but once you get the hang of it it's very easy to maintain and not ever feel like you are depriving yourself. I became a much better cook after we sorted out dd's intolerances.

ETA: I just remembered that there is an option for testing for food intolerances if you just want to get it over and not mess with elimination diets.
https://www.enterolab.com/
thanks.
I have tried some of that stuff with him. I go to the health food store sometimes but honestly I dont know how people can afford to only shop there. I never get a lot and always seem to spend way to much. I will try him with icecream though. a lady at the store recommended I buy the same thing.

thank you everyone.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:35 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
For allergies, also try an air purifier in your child's room. This can really help with night time symptoms.

I've been tested for food allergies; and the process was the same. I don't recall it being any more or less painful than regular allergy testing. A lot of times, the health carriers don't want to pay for it; so this could be one reason your allergiest was not so eager. I remember that I did the food allergy testing several years after the regular allergy testing.

Have you tried keeping the food diary? That can be a real eye-opening experience as to what your son is really eating all day. (At least it was for me).

My big food culprits were soy, potatos, corn. It turned out NOT to be dairy and I have given up milk for years!

I would try eliminating some of those things. Substitute almond or cashew for peanut butter if you can. Peanuts can be one of the worst allergens.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
May I suggest a good antihistamine?

I've struggled with allergies since I was born, eczema and other skin issues and well as nasal. I had blood work and skin pricks but there aren't enough tests in the world to pinpoint anything specific because it's not always specific. It just IS. I did find out when I was a teen that I was allergic to corn and various pollens (which you can't do much about unless you live in a bubble). I took shots for about 12 years then let nature take it course and just learned to live with, and manage, the symptoms. I almost always have a few small spots of rash somewhere on my body and I always keep tissue with me at all times

Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I just had a thought (LOL!) Do you, OP, live near a comprehensive Children's Hospital? If you could get your son in there for a good assessment, it would probably be better than getting information from CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting