Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,963 times

Advertisements

live 1 1/2 hours away from the childrens hospital. Obviously, going to a dr. is the natural thing to do but in my case drs have been giving me crap with him since he was about 2-3 yrs old. going with my gut instincts is why he is able to read, sometimes walks flat footed, has half way decent social interactions, now have close to maybe correct diagnoses for other things. I believed drs for to many years. now I talk to them, they obviously know more than me but I know my son better than them.

I guess part of me is questioning my "gut instinct" with getting more tests done.
I just feel so bad for him. Normaly he is such a happy go lucky kid and things seem to really be getting him down lately. Plus I have always liked hearing different opinions and talking to people who have actually been through some stuff.

I have kept the food diary (I think it was about 3-4 months last yr). never noticed anything except: If he had to much milk his face would be worse(not eyes) If he gets more protein in the morning and no processed he seems to focus much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
live 1 1/2 hours away from the childrens hospital. Obviously, going to a dr. is the natural thing to do but in my case drs have been giving me crap with him since he was about 2-3 yrs old. going with my gut instincts is why he is able to read, sometimes walks flat footed, has half way decent social interactions, now have close to maybe correct diagnoses for other things. I believed drs for to many years. now I talk to them, they obviously know more than me but I know my son better than them.

I guess part of me is questioning my "gut instinct" with getting more tests done.
I just feel so bad for him. Normaly he is such a happy go lucky kid and things seem to really be getting him down lately. Plus I have always liked hearing different opinions and talking to people who have actually been through some stuff.

I have kept the food diary (I think it was about 3-4 months last yr). never noticed anything except: If he had to much milk his face would be worse(not eyes) If he gets more protein in the morning and no processed he seems to focus much better.
Your very last paragraph supports the idea that he needs to cut back on dairy, and replace some of the proteins he's getting from red meats, with other sources. If this turns out to be the case, then it isn't allergies, OR sensitivities. It's simply an unbalanced diet.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Your very last paragraph supports the idea that he needs to cut back on dairy, and replace some of the proteins he's getting from red meats, with other sources. If this turns out to be the case, then it isn't allergies, OR sensitivities. It's simply an unbalanced diet.
I guess that would depend on the meaning of "unbalanced". I did screw up with the soy thing though. that will be the first thing I think I will change. I thought soy was a replacement for milk. which it does help a lot. he loves cereal but only gets it a couple of times per week now with the soy. I typically cook with the soy also. but some things dont work so well with it. I had slowly added in dairy again and low amounts(ie: cheese, pizza, etc) didnt seem to make much of a difference.
I think his eyes bother me more than anything else but of course his skin bothers him more. he always says "i'm to young for pimples". lo.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
I guess that would depend on the meaning of "unbalanced". I did screw up with the soy thing though. that will be the first thing I think I will change. I thought soy was a replacement for milk. which it does help a lot. he loves cereal but only gets it a couple of times per week now with the soy. I typically cook with the soy also. but some things dont work so well with it. I had slowly added in dairy again and low amounts(ie: cheese, pizza, etc) didnt seem to make much of a difference.
I think his eyes bother me more than anything else but of course his skin bothers him more. he always says "i'm to young for pimples". lo.
If you want some diary/soy free recipes there are some great ones out there and I'm happy to share. You can find dairy/soy free food in the regular store, you just have to look a little harder and spend more time reading labels. You may not want to worry about the soy lecithin or oil since it's in almost everything (and lots of people have no problem with those things even if they have problems with soy) but take the bulk of it out of the diet to see if you notice any changes.

If the problem with dairy is due to casein or whey then he won't be able to tolerate any of it. If it's lactose he will be able to tolerate things like real butter and hard cheese such as aged sharp cheddar. He may do better with raw.

If it's soy he may do OK with fermented soy products but none other.

What do you think about the enterolab testing? You could just get it over with in one shot, even though it's pricey.

You could also see a naturopath and/or look into muscle testing. I have found that the average MD isn't very knowledgeable about food intolerances.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

OK, now we've gone about full circle. I am a pediatric nurse, and we very much believe in mother's "gut intuition". We have admitted kids to the hospital who have come in to see the dr. b/c of mom's intuition. OTOH, we have sent some unhappy parents home w/o a diagnosis of strep b/c the mom's intuition told her the child had it. Likewise, most, if not all the kids we test for celiac disease based on intuition don't have it.

So I guess my question is, what is your son's problem? Why do you think he has allergies?

Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
to the OP

I sent you a private message. Our oldest son has food allergies and is allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts. He carries an epi-pen at school..he is 5 now.

But by all means food allgery testing is pretty easy...blood work is needed (we take him in for blood draw every 6 mo) and then the blood (usually 4 vials) are sent to a nearby hospital for analysis.

If you suspect any food intolerances, or more severe allergies, then worth doing for peace of mind. Our regular health insurance pays for testing (we do a co-pay).

We also treat food allergies by using immunothology (taking drops containing the allergens) 3 times a day and are under the care of a doctor at a clinic in La Crosse Wisconsin\

Your child may be ok but if you want to get him tested, dont feel you are wrong for asking.

--Dan

Old 12-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, now we've gone about full circle. I am a pediatric nurse, and we very much believe in mother's "gut intuition". We have admitted kids to the hospital who have come in to see the dr. b/c of mom's intuition. OTOH, we have sent some unhappy parents home w/o a diagnosis of strep b/c the mom's intuition told her the child had it. Likewise, most, if not all the kids we test for celiac disease based on intuition don't have it.

So I guess my question is, what is your son's problem? Why do you think he has allergies?
I don't necessarily think he has "allergies" but maybe sensitivities. basically different things I have read here and there bring up how sometimes allergies and
sensitivities can mimic or causes other things. which can cause the wrong diagnosis with many things. I put down the basics of what he has going on and gone through. it is so long to explain everything. I guess I can do it again but it is long.

had reflux since infant, slowly got better as long as he didnt eat before bed.
has had huge bags as long as I can rember (not infant though)
sensitive skin as long as I can rember
I think rosieness and blotchiness started around 5 or 6 along with rough patches and tiny "zit like things".
horrid breath
speech therapy since I think about 3
ld's in the area of reading
focusing problems started around 6
doesnt sleep well (without meds now he's fine)

Old 12-10-2010, 09:22 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily think he has "allergies" but maybe sensitivities. basically different things I have read here and there bring up how sometimes allergies and
sensitivities can mimic or causes other things. which can cause the wrong diagnosis with many things. I put down the basics of what he has going on and gone through. it is so long to explain everything. I guess I can do it again but it is long.

had reflux since infant, slowly got better as long as he didnt eat before bed.
has had huge bags as long as I can rember (not infant though)
sensitive skin as long as I can rember
I think rosieness and blotchiness started around 5 or 6 along with rough patches and tiny "zit like things".
horrid breath
speech therapy since I think about 3
ld's in the area of reading
focusing problems started around 6
doesnt sleep well (without meds now he's fine)
How is his digestion? Any frequent diarrhea, constipation, bloating, gassines?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times
Quote:
I was thinking about the dermatologist also but wanted to finish with the allergist first. he has missed a lot of school.

I forgot about the prepackaged stuff. did that too. for about 2 months. I still don't buy much of it. he eats a very well rounded diet. red meat somewhere between 1-3 times per week. not a lot. He also has recently been diagnosed with aspergers. typically a child with that would not eat as well as him but I have always made the kids eat a good diet from a young age.
the dark circles have been there for years. he has been on medication since the summer to help with sleep. that is what I had originally thought but he sleeps a good 10-12 hrs per night.
I forgot about legumes. been ages since we had them.
There are links between Aspergers and Celiac disease - Have you looked into that?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
The symptoms:
  1. had reflux since infant, slowly got better as long as he didnt eat before bed.
  2. has had huge bags as long as I can rember (not infant though)
  3. sensitive skin as long as I can rember
  4. I think rosieness and blotchiness started around 5 or 6 along with rough patches and tiny "zit like things".
  5. horrid breath
  6. speech therapy since I think about 3
  7. ld's in the area of reading
  8. focusing problems started around 6
  9. doesnt sleep well (without meds now he's fine)
1 - he got better, related to the time he eats, not the food he eats.
2 - related to #9, also can be genetic, and can also be a skin discoloration (I have that). Unrelated to food allergies or sensitivities.
3 - sensitive skin - generally unrelated to food allergies or sensitivities, and in fact, his sensitive skin could be what's causing #4.
4 - see #3
5 - hallitosis -can- be related to poor digestion, especially in people who eat a lot of red meat.
6 - speech therapy - aspergers related, not food allergy/sensitivity related.
7 - reading disabilities - aspergers related, not food allergy/sensitivity related.
8 - focusing problems - do you mean mentally focusing, or visually focusing? The first would be aspergers related. The second would be a vision problem and not food allergy/sensitivity related.
9 - he's fine now, but again, he was eating before bedtime previously, which can make sleep difficult. Again - timing problem, not food choice problem.

So I see nothing here that would normally be attributed to food allergies or sensitivities, and plenty that would be attributed to your child's diagnosis of aspergers, and possibly nutritional needs not being met, or being over-met, rather than any particular foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting