Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not to mention....my point was, txtqueen has limited funds. She also has no health insurance and is skipping out on taxes....I don't think purchasing a gun is the best use of her funds currently. She is more likely to need health insurance before a gun. And paying taxes is her responsiblity as a citizen. Especially one who aspires to be a public servant.

Well i do agree with you on all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You never had an escape artist child, I imagine. Some kids do (though usually at 2 or 3 not at 1)

Well yeah my son used to be one, but he never tried to open the front door.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I'm quite familiar with those apartments. ....I'd bet good money most of the break-ins involve people who know each other and are looking for something specific. Or happen when no one is home. Lock your doors, don't hang with people who are trouble. It may not be perfect but it's pretty far from the 'hood..... Besides that, the "make my day law" in Colorado only applies if you believe your life is in danger. And what are you going to do, tell the guy to hang on for just a sec while you go get the gun out of the safe?

That made me giggle immensely. The thing is if it's only her word against the the dead guy or thief the sympathy will be in her corner.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
I would certainly hope that no mother or nanny is carrying a loaded gun in her purse while she's out and about with children. Really. Bad. Idea.

Well if she is a nanny then she should be following the rules of her employer. But i fail to see why it's a bad idea if you are a mother.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
My brother-in-law is a corrections officer, and he never carries a weapon when he's off duty.

He might never carry one in general though, most corrections officers in prisons are not armed.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
That made me giggle immensely. The thing is if it's only her word against the the dead guy or thief the sympathy will be in her corner.
Sympathy may be but the law won't be unless she can show she had reasonable belief that her life was in danger.

And look, I have no problem with the second amendment (not that I want to argue that here anyway...). I do however, have concern that a very young (and somewhat immature) person who has a romanticized idea of "cop swagger" and who, even at 21 has a difficult time differentiating between spending a year or two as an Explorer and actually being a LEO. - No offense txtqueen, you've come a long way since you first started posting - - She is growing up. She still has a ways to go. Until then, I don't think she needs to be "packing". JMHO.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
As it should be.
If I EVER shot anyone and I really never want to have to, I know maybe one day I probably will I just hope it doesn't happen a lot but it will be done with just cause.
What I am saying is, I'm not one of "those cops" who "likes" to shoot people,I don't like the idea of taking someones life but if it means my life or a criminals, I will save myself, using all means legally.

And who ever made the sarcastic comments its called having my safe by my bed and opening it upon hearing the person break into my house or apartment.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Sympathy may be but the law won't be unless she can show she had reasonable belief that her life was in danger.

And look, I have no problem with the second amendment (not that I want to argue that here anyway...). I do however, have concern that a very young (and somewhat immature) person who has a romanticized idea of "cop swagger" and who, even at 21 has a difficult time differentiating between spending a year or two as an Explorer and actually being a LEO. - No offense txtqueen, you've come a long way since you first started posting - - She is growing up. She still has a ways to go. Until then, I don't think she needs to be "packing". JMHO.

Sympathy is all that matters when you are dealing with a group of citizens deciding your guilt however/ Generally they always side with the victim macie......when you are dealing with a jury there tends to be no sympathy towards someone breaking into your house getting shot. There have been cases *such as the one in texas* where it's really been questionable of the legality and the person still got off. So unless she shoots the guy in the back fleeing out the door it will almost always be justified.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
*such as the one in texas*

Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
*such as the one in texas*

I was just popping the best one that had questionable legality out there. The fact is macie almost never do they convict people for shooting people entering into someones residence because proving whether or not the intruder meant harm is very subjective, and in reality the burdun falls on the intruder to prove it really. Anyway it's a moot point because Colorado law seems to be a very liberal version of the law.
Colorado's 'make my day' law | VailDaily.com

Last edited by paganmama80; 12-13-2010 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting