Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:57 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times

Advertisements

Am i the only one who did this? I really never saw the general point in having one so my ex and i never gave our kids any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 08:00 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
My husband doesn't have one. His mom was pressured to use a horrible family name, so she told her MIL she used it, but never put it on the paperwork.

It has been a constant hassle his whole life. A lot of people (and forms) default to "A." for his middle name.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
My husband doesn't have one. His mom was pressured to use a horrible family name, so she told her MIL she used it, but never put it on the paperwork.

It has been a constant hassle his whole life. A lot of people (and forms) default to "A." for his middle name.
LOL i don't get what the hassle would be though? You never use the damn things in life.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
LOL i don't get what the hassle would be though? You never use the damn things in life.
College records, applications for just about anything, professional license, etc. all assume a middle name. Many of the computerized forms a place holder indicating there is no middle name verses just not listing it. Then, we get letters addressed with a middle name of "No middle name", or NA or A.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
My parents wanted to honor both sides of the family when each of their daughters were born. In Judaism, it is traditional that you name your child after a beloved, deceased member of the family, so that their name becomes immortalized. So my first name is for my mother's paternal grandmother, and my middle name is for my father's father.

My sister's first name is for my father's mother, and her middle name is for my mother's paternal grandfather.

It's a beautiful tradition in the Jewish culture and if I had my own kids I would have gladly continued the tradition, even though I don't embrace the religion at all.

I did drop my middle name when I got married, and don't even use my maiden name anymore. I had it legally changed in the Social Security office. So my legal name is only my first, and my husband's last. No middle initial.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:38 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
There is a point. It distinguishes one person from another with the same first and last names. I had one friend in elem school who was very self conscious that she was the only one w/o a middle name. Besides, what will you yell at them when they're in trouble if there is no middle name?

We chose family names for the middle names of both our kids.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
There is a point. It distinguishes one person from another with the same first and last names. I had one friend in elem school who was very self conscious that she was the only one w/o a middle name. Besides, what will you yell at them when they're in trouble if there is no middle name?

We chose family names for the middle names of both our kids.
But kids will do the same by just shortening a name or creating a nickname. If you have 2 amandas then one will go by manda or mandy. In the end rarely have i found too many people default to their middle name to distiguish themselves.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
My son who's last name is Smith, gave his son's TWO middle names! I can only imagine the confusion that causes them..

Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
My son who's last name is Smith, gave his son's TWO middle names! I can only imagine the confusion that causes them..
How about only initials for a middle name? I have some relatives with 2 initials that stand for nothing.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post

Why did he do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting