Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 09:24 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Because part of my job as a mother is to be her guide and mentor. I often tell her that she'll have many, many years as a grown-up but only a few short years as a child and that she should enjoy them. To me, and I'm clearly in the minority here, coloring one's hair is more of a grown-up activity.
If you are I'm in the minority with you Though I do understand that being a responsible parent instead of just your childs friend is becoming less and less the norm - to the detriment of us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
I'd let her do it, but warn her that it will be permanent until she cuts it out. Even semi-permanent colors, which I would recommend in her case, don't gradually wash out if you use a color that is darker than your natural shade.

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
She isn't really a child anymore...and certainly when she is 14 she won't be. And i agree you are the mentor, but her doing her hair isn't a grownup activity. Letting her do these little things to experiment with growing up helps avoid larger things in life.
Of course she's still a child. Not the same as an 8-year-old, but not the same as a 16-year-old either.

What "larger things in life" am I helping her to avoid?

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No "logical" reason to say no??

A responsible parent doing their best to guide their young daughter into womanhood doesn't need a "logical" reason to say no, just an appropriate reason.

Letting a child in middle school start coloring their hair is very irresponsible because it robs them of their childhood and allows them to do things they are years away from being mature enough to understand the consequences of.

What consequences? And robbing them of what childhood how? What is more childlike then doing goofy things for fun? Or doing things to just see how they turn out? And once you are in middle school you are pretty much robbed of what is left of childhood anyway in this day and age. And an appropriate reason should always be logical .

Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Of course she's still a child. Not the same as an 8-year-old, but not the same as a 16-year-old either.

What "larger things in life" am I helping her to avoid?

No she is on the path to becoming a young adult but she is not really a child either...somewhere in between. Because if you crack down on every little thing she wants to do...she will eventually rebel over things. Part of being a parent is recognizing that kids do grow up and you need to allow them to allow them little things to make them feel like they are.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
If you are I'm in the minority with you Though I do understand that being a responsible parent instead of just your childs friend is becoming less and less the norm - to the detriment of us all.
I don't believe in being my childrens friend either. But i also understand that allowing them to do little things that make them feel like they are growing up is a good thing.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Years ago a friend told me that with a child, "No's" are like fences. They keep them in and keep them safe. You wouldn't let your child wander out of your yard by themselves and you don't let them wander through childhood without secure boundaries. As they get older, the fences move further and further out, til they're gone altogether. We're just moving their boundaries out more slowly than other parents. I don't think it's a problem.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Well, we won't agree on this one. God gave kids parents for a reason. The parents do what they think is best. Not all parents parent their children the same and have different expectations or boundries.

In MY house, I am the mother and she is the child. She can wait until high school to start messing with her hair. Some parents would be ok if their kid made a huge mistake, hated their hair and had to live with it. I wouldn't do that to my daughter. If she hated her hair and it looked awful I would fix it for her. But not at 13 years old.

You wash it out lol....i messed up my hair a few times and had to wash it out. And making mistakes and living with the consequences is part of life.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
Quote:
No she is on the path to becoming a young adult but she is not really a child either...somewhere in between. Because if you crack down on every little thing she wants to do...she will eventually rebel over things. Part of being a parent is recognizing that kids do grow up and you need to allow them to allow them little things to make them feel like they are.
Little things: what clothes/style to wear, which earings, short or long hair, decorating their room, shoes, music, activities (choir, band, sports, cheerleading), friends, ect.

They have all kinds of things that they get to chose. An extream hair color change is not one of them in my house.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yes. "On the path" is the key. She's not there yet. I hardly crack down on every little thing she wants to do. She shaves her legs, gets mani's/pedi's, chooses her own clothes, just went to her first school dance.

She's just not going to dye her hair yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting