Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times

Advertisements

And how about that, the blog include a quote from the breastfeeding maven herself, Ms. Katherine Dettwyler, which debunks the myth that people claim is her fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:47 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And how about that, the blog include a quote from the breastfeeding maven herself, Ms. Katherine Dettwyler, which debunks the myth that people claim is her fact.
Oh yes, a random blogger completely discredits her research. That quote was in the original article posted in case you didn't notice. Maybe you should read the whole article instead of relying on some random blogger's opinion about it.

Seriously, why are people so bothered that some people choose to nurse past infancy? I don't get it. Is it OK for me to judge moms who choose to formula feed?

Last edited by Dorthy; 12-10-2010 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Is it OK for me to judge moms who choose to formula feed?
If they were formula/bottle feeding at 7, yes, I would think that was strange. Just trying to keep it apples to apples.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is the AAP recommendation:

AAP Releases Revised Breastfeeding Recommendations (http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/feb05breastfeeding.htm - broken link)
Exclusive breastfeeding for approximately the first six months and support for breastfeeding for the first year and beyond as long as mutually desired by mother and child.
Yeah, Katiana. I should have said most, not all. That information has been cleared up numerous times since I first posted that.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The AAP recommends a minimum of one year. The WHO and the AAFP both recommend a minimum of 2 years. How old are the children who are "trying to wean" that you are referring to?
Where on the AAFP website does it say that they support breastfeeding until age 2? The language seems more "permissive" than mandatory.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
You make me laugh

I have to agree with AnonChick. It just seems that all the self-weaning just leads to a lifetime of indulgence and the child being the one to call the shots. :shrugs:

And it isn't normal. I have visions of a 5 year old walking in the mall and lifting Moms blouse up. They are your boobs though.
What about this...a toddler I know weaned (mother-led) at 12 months. She is about to be two and still puts her hand in her mom's shirt and tries to pull the boob out. So much for weaning before she remembered such things.

Anyway, self-weaning does not equate to a lifetime of indulgence. That kind of talk just frightens parents who are the type to "worry" that little Susy won't learn anything without their help. However, a mother who does child-led weaning against her wishes is also the type to "worry" that little Susy can't handle life without her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
An interesting blog, written by a lactivist, throwing out 4.5 as the natural age of weaning:
Myth Busting - Average Age of Weaning 4.5 Years

I always thought that stat sounded WAY high.
I have never heard that. My lactation consultant breastfed (yes I am going to repeat it) 7 children, with twins, who all weaned before the age of 4. I remember her saying that if the child did not wean before the age of 4, mom missed the cues. And her views on child rearing would have many on here saying "permissive."

Old 12-10-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If they were formula feeding at 7, yes, I would think that was strange. Just trying to keep it apples to apples.
No, I'm talking about moms who choose to formula feed because they just don't feel like breastfeeding.

People keep on saying that women who choose to breastfeed long term are doing it for selfish reasons so I'm just wondering if a mom who chooses not to breastfeed at all is also doing it for selfish reasons? Of course that's not a PC thing to say but I do find it odd (and pathetic) that people feel like it's perfectly acceptable to bash moms who choose to allow their children to self ween. It's a double standard. Just sayin.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where on the AAFP website does it say that they support breastfeeding until age 2? The language seems more "permissive" than mandatory.
Quote:
The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends that breastfeeding continue throughout the first year of life and that "As recommended by the WHO, breastfeeding should ideally continue beyond infancy, but this is not the cultural norm in the United States and requires ongoing support and encouragement. It has been estimated that a natural weaning age for humans is between two and seven years. Family physicians should be knowledgeable regarding the ongoing benefits to the child of extended breastfeeding, including continued immune protection, better social adjustment, and having a sustainable food source in times of emergency. The longer women breastfeed, the greater the decrease in their risk of breast cancer." They also note that "If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned." (AAFP 2008)
It's a reccomendation. No one said anythign about it being "mandatory".

Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,457 times
Quote:
It's a reccomendation. No one said anythign about it being "mandatory".
Yes, if it was mandatory, women in industrialized countries would be up in arms because, you know, there are no benefits. But since it is only recommended, it must be there to please the permissive ones.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
No, I'm talking about moms who choose to formula feed because they just don't feel like breastfeeding.

People keep on saying that women who choose to breastfeed long term are doing it for selfish reasons so I'm just wondering if a mom who chooses not to breastfeed at all is also doing it for selfish reasons? Of course that's not a PC thing to say but I do find it odd (and pathetic) that people feel like it's perfectly acceptable to bash moms who choose to allow their children to self ween. It's a double standard. Just sayin.
The ones who choose not to, for selfish reasons, don't get offended and don't seem to have any trouble saying that they choose not to for selfish reasons.

The ones who choose to breastfeed long-term for selfish reasons, get very offended and will often come up with all kinds of outlandish justifications to explain why they choose to breastfeed, and rarely will you hear any of them admit that it's for selfish reasons. Even if it is. What is it they say about denial (other than it being a river in Egypt)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting