Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
Agree with everything except adopting a dog. She's working pt and going to school. The dog would be lonely.

OP- why are you depressed? Are you away at school and miss family and friends? The holidays can be hard when you feel alone and isolated.

Have you considered serving the under-served in your area? You sound like a kind, sensitive person. Perhaps you could be a comfort to those in need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, I have. I've volunteered for hospitals and nursing homes, I love working as an Office Assistant for my school, and my cousin's wife is having a baby soon that I would love to baby sit.

I've suffer from depression for a while, but the main reason I've been feeling a void is because of a recent break up that has left my heart pretty empty. I know it may sound silly, but whenever I see a newborn or a small child, my day just lightens up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I can't believe a sperm bank would accept you as a client, and insurance will not pay the bill either. You aren't infertile as far as you know, so even if you have infertility treatment insurance (rare) the bills will be very high even before a baby is conceived.
Yeah, I was thinking more of the lines find a close male friend who was willing to donate if the sperm bank option was too expensive (which it is). As for infertility, I don't think I am, but miscarriages do run rampant in the family. But infertility isn't something I am worried about.

I guess, when it comes down to it, I see a TON of girls my age having babies (and not just one, but sometimes two or three kids). And I get really jealous. I know of one particular woman who is 21 and just had her fourth kid. Her living situation isn't great, but she has four beautiful babies...and, as pathetic as it may sound, I envy her.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:51 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
I get what you're saying, but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea for you to be a mom right now. Your future children deserve a good life, which you'll be able to provide much better when you're older and have a more substantial income.

Have you considered working as a nanny part time while you're in school? That could help satisfy the baby fever for now.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
I know it may sound silly, but whenever I see a newborn or a small child, my day just lightens up.
Then get a job at a day care center and stop the baby nonsense. That cute little baby will be a broken adult if you can't care for it properly. Kids are like kittens...they aren't "cute" forever. And they might not even like you.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
at this point in your life if you got pregnant in the near future you would be a terrible single parent. broke, depressed, having a baby will not make your life happy. get to the doc you may need meds for your depression. a recent break up takes time to adjust to. seeing a baby may brighten your day but so will other thing if you give them half a chance. a great sunset, a killer movie, animals, a great hobby. you have plenty of time to have a child. falling in love, finding a partner that will be in love with your child as much as you are is the way to go. you have a decade at least before you should put any pressure on yourself. figure you out before you have a baby

Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Then get a job at a day care center and stop the baby nonsense. That cute little baby will be a broken adult if you can't care for it properly. Kids are like kittens...they aren't "cute" forever. And they might not even like you.
In order to get a job at a day care in my state, you have to go through all these hoops and certifications...it's hard to get those kinds of jobs. Trust me, I would if I could. I am just feeling that baby fever, to have a bundle of puking, pooping joy of my own I guess....

Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Yeah, I was thinking more of the lines find a close male friend who was willing to donate if the sperm bank option was too expensive (which it is). As for infertility, I don't think I am, but miscarriages do run rampant in the family. But infertility isn't something I am worried about.

I guess, when it comes down to it, I see a TON of girls my age having babies (and not just one, but sometimes two or three kids). And I get really jealous. I know of one particular woman who is 21 and just had her fourth kid. Her living situation isn't great, but she has four beautiful babies...and, as pathetic as it may sound, I envy her.
the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. being tied down, broke and with not a lot of help with children is no way to live life in your early twenties. there is way more to life than babies. look for it and do babies when you can actually offer the child something more than you selfishly wanted because you thought it might make you happy

Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
In order to get a job at a day care in my state, you have to go through all these hoops and certifications...it's hard to get those kinds of jobs. Trust me, I would if I could. I am just feeling that baby fever, to have a bundle of puking, pooping joy of my own I guess....
in any state you have to go through hoops to work in a decent day care. jumping through these hoops are far easier than being responsible for a baby you need a hobby

Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I get what you're saying, but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea for you to be a mom right now. Your future children deserve a good life, which you'll be able to provide much better when you're older and have a more substantial income.

Have you considered working as a nanny part time while you're in school? That could help satisfy the baby fever for now.
Well, my cousin's wife will be having a baby soon, and I would love to offer her cheap baby sitting. That might work.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
at this point in your life if you got pregnant in the near future you would be a terrible single parent. broke, depressed, having a baby will not make your life happy. get to the doc you may need meds for your depression. a recent break up takes time to adjust to. seeing a baby may brighten your day but so will other thing if you give them half a chance. a great sunset, a killer movie, animals, a great hobby. you have plenty of time to have a child. falling in love, finding a partner that will be in love with your child as much as you are is the way to go. you have a decade at least before you should put any pressure on yourself. figure you out before you have a baby
I understand where you are coming from, but I have to contest when you say I'd be a "terrible single parent." Who knows? I could be a hell of a parent. You don't know what kind of mother or father you will be until you have kids of your own, right?

And yeah, I am on meds and stabilizing my depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting