Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times

Advertisements

Better yet, Google or go on ebay and do a search for Reborn Babies. They look like the real thing and you'd have someone to care for and cuddle with for the few hours you'll even be home w/o the expensive upkeep.

reborn babies - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 01:37 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
I think the OP sounds so obsessed about babies, that I certainly wouldn't trust her to babysit. I shudder to think how many posts I've read advising her to babysit. Hope the cousin with the baby is aware of how she intends to use his/her baby to satisfy her own maternal urges. Uh-uh.... something is definitely wrong here.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:36 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Okay, so let me first start off with this: I'm 19 years old. I graduated high school last year with honors. I am in my second year of college and I have a PT job and a saving's and checkings account w/over 2k. I plan on going to nursing school in the fall of 2011, and I don't plan on trying to conceive until after I am admitted and have a decent job as a CNA with my own apartment. I plan on having my own apartment, my CNA license and job by late 2011/early 2012. By then, I will only have two/three years left of college and be 20 years old.

I really have no passion in life other than wanting to be a mother. I have been depressed, but I am on medication. I have a yearning to be a mother, and I don't know how much longer I can wait. All I want now is to have a baby of my own. I know babies are hard work, but I am willing to put the effort into taking care of my baby. I don't have nor want a partner; I am willing to do this on my own (via sperm bank).

Is 20 too young to try to conceive? And are there some things I need before trying to have a baby? Also, how much money should I have saved up for a baby?

P.S. I have health/student insurance.

Sweetie please wait..having a baby wont make you happy..it will only add to responsibilities...which will add to more stress ...go to college..cna...no go further than that...buy a home...a reliable car...think about child care...give the baby a father that will love him/her...what you posted here you dont know a thing about the real world or what it takes to raise a child...yes love is good but kids need more than love..
so yes you are too young...and mostly in your maturity..
WAIT

Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
here's an idea.

get a list of all the things a new baby needs like clothes, gear, meds, toys, equipment, etc. I'm sure you can google to find a good list somewhere.

Take that list to wallmart or target and write down the cost of all these things. run a tally to get just the BASICS of what your INITIAL costs would be. Remember they grow very fast and need new things almost every 3 months the first 2 years. Factor in checkups , shots, sickness costs and you will begin to see the tremendous costs involved.

Why do you think most families in this country depend on 2 pay checks. Add in day care and you will surely see you just can't handle that.

I don't think you are mature enough or financially ready for the SELFLESSNESS it takes to be a good mother. You have 20 years or more to bring a child in the world. Give yourself time to see who you really are. You aren't even fully cooked yet yourself. Some dramatic changes and opportunities can come your way if you are open , educated and unencumbered.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sadly it is a fairly common sentiment "I want a baby to love me unconditionally because no one else does".
And there's nothing unconditional about a baby! Children will let a parent down if the parent is only seeking love out of parenting.

It's like getting a puppy: They're oh-so-cute when they're little, and then they grow up they scream they hate you!

A mother who needs unconditional love from her children (for her own emotional needs) will be severely disappointed.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:20 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Are we all still believing this?

Old 12-11-2010, 01:39 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Okay, so let me first start off with this: I'm 19 years old. I graduated high school last year with honors. I am in my second year of college and I have a PT job and a saving's and checkings account w/over 2k. I plan on going to nursing school in the fall of 2011, and I don't plan on trying to conceive until after I am admitted and have a decent job as a CNA with my own apartment. I plan on having my own apartment, my CNA license and job by late 2011/early 2012. By then, I will only have two/three years left of college and be 20 years old.

I really have no passion in life other than wanting to be a mother. I have been depressed, but I am on medication. I have a yearning to be a mother, and I don't know how much longer I can wait. All I want now is to have a baby of my own. I know babies are hard work, but I am willing to put the effort into taking care of my baby. I don't have nor want a partner; I am willing to do this on my own (via sperm bank).

Is 20 too young to try to conceive? And are there some things I need before trying to have a baby? Also, how much money should I have saved up for a baby?

P.S. I have health/student insurance.
First: You may want to work on the whole "life partner who loves you and really takes care of you" thing. That makes it a lot easier to have a family.

Second: if you are depressed or otherwise not at the top of your game, I can guarangoddamntee that bringing a child into your life is NOT going to fix ANYTHING.

You should not have a baby without a spouse until you have $200,000 in the bank.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:22 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
You are waaay too young to be worrying about this. You have plenty of time to have a baby.

It's one thing to be a single parent with a sizeable income; and another to be a single parent with NO income or very little.

Do you have cousins, nieces or nephews that you could spent time with? Take them to parks, zoos, toy stores . . . that can satisfy a lot of the 'baby need' that you are feeling right now. I had a little nephew that I was soo close to; and I imagine that was a lot of the reason. In the meantime, it gave his parents a much needed break and I got to spend lots of time with a little one - just doing fun things! When he got tired and cranky, I still got to take him back home to Mom and Dad.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:25 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
Personally, I DON'T think 20 is too young to conceive a child. Most people in my family had their first child around 17-22 and have made excellent parents. If you're married, emotionally and financially ready, then have a baby.

But I suggest you get married first before having a baby though. Marriage should come first before having a baby. Your child(ren) need to grow up with two married parents.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:36 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Even if having a baby managed to fill the hole in your heart, as a parent you need to do what is best for your baby. I work in healthcare and it is very difficult for CNAs to work regular hours all the time. Going to school full-time and working part-time doesn't give you a whole lot of time to even spend with your baby. Who is going to be doing the actual parenting of your child if you are working full time and going to school part time? And how much will all that childcare cost you? Will you be able to afford childcare, your baby's expenses, and nursing school all at the same time? The vast majority of single parents could not.
Many women (including me!) get baby fever, big time - deal with it! That is part of being a mature adult. You have a responsibility to make sure you are as prepared as possible to care for that child. Wait until you have finished nursing school. Parents have to make sacrifices, and right now your sacrifice needs to be putting aside having a baby until your life is more settled. You will be in a much better position to have time and money to care for a baby after you are a nurse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting