Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:29 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Go to the principal over something like this??? Are you people kidding me???? Why not just involve the local and national media while you're at it.

The teacher is running HER class. If the kids are clowning around and not paying attention, what do you suggest she do?? Tell them "oh, come on now little Tommy, pleeeease stop disrupting the other 20 kids who are trying to learn something. If you act like a good little boy, I promise, I'll buy you an ice cream after class and we can go to Toys R Us and you can pick whatever you want".

I agree with a previous poster --- I'm sure the teacher is not eating the snacks but passing them on to another child who has none. If a parent has a problem with that, then the parents are nuts. Their kid's lunchbox is probably stuffed to overflowing with crap and I'm sure he's not going to miss one Ding Dong or Twinkie.
Gotta love the poison pen mindset, the flaming anonymity. Really. So much drama. Yes, by all means we should call in Anderson Cooper or better yet, Nancy Grace.

Is drama time over? Can we get back to the topic now? There are plenty of other disciplinary actions that don't involve coddling the children or ignoring the behavior. Taking the snacks that the students' parents pay for is completely unacceptable, and if it's happening, the principal should know about it.

And this whole assumed redistribution of snacks program is just irrelevant speculation. The only thing we know that the teacher may be doing with the snacks is taking them. Many families are on very limited budgets these days, but regardless, taking the students' food is indefensible under any circumstances.

I suggested that the teacher choose a different punishment, not that she let the students get away with misbehavior. For example, the inattentive students could be made to outline the chapter, unit, etc. that they weren't paying attention to. That's what teachers did when I was in school, and it worked. This consequence is more connected to the action, and it has the added bonus of forcing the student to look at the material being taught. Then follow it up with a note home to the parents explaining that the child was inattentive. Let the parents take additional action.

Teachers should absolutely be able to run their classrooms without parental interference, but taking food from the students is pretty far out of bounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Not to mention....if indeed the teacher is giving the snacks to another student, what is the liability in the event the recipient has some kind of reaction? And frankly, "redistribution" isn't up to the teacher to decide or enforce...

Old 12-12-2010, 09:35 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not to mention....if indeed the teacher is giving the snacks to another student, what is the liability in the event the recipient has some kind of reaction? And frankly, "redistribution" isn't up to the teacher to decide or enforce...
Good point! My husband had an allergic reaction last Christmas. It was one of the scariest things and he almost died. When I helped out in the school I was surprised to find so many children allergic to peanuts. Nothing to mess around with.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,882 times
Yep. And what if the students whose snacks she's taking are diabetic?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Yep. And what if the students whose snacks she's taking are diabetic?
This is the sort of scenario that is discussed frequently by Neal Boortz. He broadcasts from Atlanta--loud and clear and very frequently about the quality of 'government schools' and teachers' unions. Painful to hear at times, knowing that the rotten apples can do so much damage--but apparently it's the truth and children don't deserve this sort of incompetence.

From the OP's previous post about this teacher it is painfully clear what is going on. Seriously poor teaching and administration.

I don't know how other states plan to address this issue but in GA heads are on the chopping block. Accountability across the board. The accreditation of several systems is now questionable. Superintendents were forced to resign. School boards are scrutinized closely.

In DC there was a massive reduction in force when lack of accountability was detected there.

Somewhere in CA they publish the teacher's name if the students don't meet the standards.

If it has to come to that then so be it.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:27 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
The OP has stated this is happing to HER kid. Taking a child's lunch for punishment is ridiculous! I have a strict budget and I do not pack my child's lunch so someone can take it away. I don't care if its a snack. He is my child and no one takes food from him. IF this is actually occurring in the classroom, there are much more effective ways of handing disruptive children. What is next? Withholding bathroom privileges? Do you even have children?

Wow... do you need to go back and read the original post!!! The OP never said it happened to HER kid or that any lunches were taken away. She said:

He told us lots of kids have given the teacher a snack because nobody wants to get extra spelling homework, and that so far he has been lucky because he hasn't been caught not paying attention. (AKA, many times he doesn't pay attention, he just hasn't been caught yet.)

Yes, I do have a child. And she knows she had better pay attention in class, never disrespect a teacher or other authority figure in the school (including parent volunteers), and to stay away from the clods who cause trouble. If she does get in trouble in school (which she thankfully hasn't in 8 years of school), she knows I will listen to all sides of the story and make a determination. If she's in the wrong, she knows there are consequences.

Sorry, but I get sick and tired of all the cuddly, feel good crap with these kids. No one is supposed to correct them or discipline them or tell them they're doing something wrong or have them suffer consequences for their behavior. The kids who cause the problems in school are the same ones whose parents come up defending the kid, even though the kid was 100% in the wront. Give me a break. If parents teach their kids how to behave and to respect others, they wouldn't have to worry about their Twinkie being taken from them.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Teachers should absolutely be able to run their classrooms without parental interference, but taking food from the students is pretty far out of bounds.

So when the OPs kid has his snack taken away, the OP should go talk to the teacher. Right now, we don't even know if this is truly happening.

How do we know the teacher isn't taking the snack and then discussing the "infraction" with the kid later on and giving them back their snack then or at the end of the day????

===============================================

Oh, and to the poster who asked "what if the kid's diabetic"? If he/she is, the teacher would know about it and wouldn't deprive the kid of a snack if the kid needs it to keep his blood sugar stable.

==================================================

I agree with the re-distribution statement and actually thought of that after I posted.... I mean, what if she gives something with peanuts in it to a kid allergic? Not a good thing. We don't know she's giving them to other kids though. The only thing the OP said was that her kid told her the teacher takes the snacks.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I get sick and tired of all the cuddly, feel good crap with these kids. No one is supposed to correct them or discipline them or tell them they're doing something wrong or have them suffer consequences for their behavior. The kids who cause the problems in school are the same ones whose parents come up defending the kid, even though the kid was 100% in the wront. Give me a break. If parents teach their kids how to behave and to respect others, they wouldn't have to worry about their Twinkie being taken from them.
I don't believe anyone has said there should be no consequences...simply more appropriate consequences. Big difference.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
This is actually a serious violation of professional standards and state/federal law.

Can you please cite the state and federal law that is being violated??

Also, I'd like to see the professional standards this teacher is in serious violation of???

Old 12-12-2010, 11:37 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Can you please cite the state and federal law that is being violated??

Also, I'd like to see the professional standards this teacher is in serious violation of???
I am in GA, fwiw, and the OP is located in another state.
I believe a few federal guidelines/laws/policies are listed here>>
http://www.schoolnutrition.org/LegislativeAction.aspx

I taught with some good and tough administrators and am thankfully no longer involved in public education. Effective administrators have ways and means of handling this sort of problem.

I'm sort of surprised that there would be snacks brought from home in a fourth grade class. If the school permits this then I would assume that officials determined that students needed to eat the snacks. If she takes them away they can't. Local, state and federal guidelines had to be considered prior to allowing snacks.

What about students on free or reduced lunch? Who provides their snacks? Subsidized by the state and federal government and that is taxpayer money.

And so on and so forth.

What sort of values is she teaching the children? It almost seems like a form of 'bullying' or bribery.
http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/s...ad.php?t=18152

Food as a reward or punishment has received national attention.

At any rate there is sufficient discussion of what constitutes effective teaching in the news.

An example>>>
http://www.clocc.net/partners/group/...ardOptions.pdf

Nutrition/School Policies/Seattle>>
http://www.seattleschools.org/area/nutrition-svc/policies_index.html (broken link)

Georgia>>
http://www.times-georgian.com/pages/...%20&id=9290654
Budget cuts in education have reached a critical level in GA and there will probably be more. It would be a 'huge' issue to take away a snack.

'More than 100 Georgia schools applied for the grant, but only 77 received it. The money, supplied to the state by the federal government, is split into monthly allotments.

To qualify for the grant, schools must have a high percentage of students receiving free or reduced lunches, Cross said. At Villa Rica Elementary, about 73 percent of students receive free or reduced lunches, while the number at Sharp Creek is 76 percent.

Cross, who said the purpose of the grant is to educate students about the benefits of healthful food, said the fruits and vegetables can be as common as an apple or carrot to more exotic fare like star fruit or pomegranate. The menu of snacks is based on what is in season.'

Last edited by TakeAhike; 12-13-2010 at 12:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting