Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:56 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Instead of spending all that money to fly and rent a car, why don't you just send her a bigger first check? I guarantee that if someone came to me and asked for money (you said you asked her for $3k) and then spent a bunch of money on a trip I'd be a little ticked.
So true....any time someone has owed us money, no matter how hard you try not to, you always scrutinize what they are spending money on and think, "geez, if they could do that, they could have paid me back faster!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
You may be doing well in comparison to another person, but that doesn't mean you have conquered the world. Take some advice from those of us who have learned from our mistakes instead of assuming we're all trying to put you down.

If your grandma wanted to see you so bad she'd have sent you money for a ticket, not a car. Send her a nice check and maybe she'll use some of it to buy you a ticket anyway. But it's her money, you should let her decide.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
chicagojlo makes a good point. you would be spending your grandmothers money for this trip, plane, renat car. I doubt she would want you to do that. give her her money back faster than she expects. that will impress her and give her confidence in your decision making abilities.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Did I miss this earlier? You have to pay the extra insurance to drive their kids in their car? Why aren't they paying that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Because I work off my room/board, utilities, cable, internet and cell phone. It's $40 a month for insurance for their car and 131.86 for my car insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
but room board and utilities etc are a benefit to YOU. You driving their kids in their car is a benefit to them.
txtqueen, listen to maciesmom! It made sense you were paying them $40 a month when you used to use their car for personal pleasure. But now that you have your own car, you should NOT be paying them $40 to insure yourself as a driver to drive their children around in their car.

Adding you as a driver to their car insurance is an expense of being your employer. If they continue to have you pay $40 after you are no longer driving their car for personal pleasure, you are being taken advantage of. Alternately, you shouldn't use your car to drive the children around because it's wear and tear on your own vehicle.

The way you handle this is to say: "Now that I have my own car, I am no longer using your car for pleasure. As a result, I should not be responsible for paying to be insured on your policy because any use of your car will be only for work related purposes." If they are decent people, they'll readily agree with you.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:48 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
Typical txt/ drama queen, listen to the advice that has been given to you.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
I pay her back each month what I would be paying for the car if I had financed the car through the dealership.
Hopefully you are also paying the amount she is not getting by cashing those bonds in before they reached maturity and that loss of tax free income, or cpaital gains taxes, depending on the type of bonds she cashed on your behalf.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:58 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Ok if you can afford a plane trip...then why couldnt you afford the down-payment on your car?
Im just a little confused...how old are you? you must be the only grand child? that money your going to spend on your trip could be used for payments on the car..
And last KIA?? are you for real??
I $250 plane ticket VS. say maybe $2000 on a down payment.
I'm 21.
I am not the only grandchild. I have a brother.

I have a budget. I pay 250 a month for it. Rest of my money that doesn't go to bills is for ME to spend how I see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
chicagojlo makes a good point. you would be spending your grandmothers money for this trip, plane, renat car. I doubt she would want you to do that. give her her money back faster than she expects. that will impress her and give her confidence in your decision making abilities.
Uh no. I wouldn't be spending HER money. It would be MY money that I make working at MY job, where I make $450 a paycheck.
I am not going to give extra and be broke, I am just going to pay it back like normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
txtqueen, listen to maciesmom! It made sense you were paying them $40 a month when you used to use their car for personal pleasure. But now that you have your own car, you should NOT be paying them $40 to insure yourself as a driver to drive their children around in their car.

Adding you as a driver to their car insurance is an expense of being your employer. If they continue to have you pay $40 after you are no longer driving their car for personal pleasure, you are being taken advantage of. Alternately, you shouldn't use your car to drive the children around because it's wear and tear on your own vehicle.

The way you handle this is to say: "Now that I have my own car, I am no longer using your car for pleasure. As a result, I should not be responsible for paying to be insured on your policy because any use of your car will be only for work related purposes." If they are decent people, they'll readily agree with you.
I know, I've been told by many people but you know what there is a lot wrong going on right now and I may be putting my two weeks in soon. I am being taken advantage of and cannot work as much as I do for both jobs and can't cut my hours at BBB because then I don't have any money.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
This is just more indication that txtqueen has no idea how the real world works outside the fantasy of her own mind.

txtqueen, when you have a debt, you do not -have- "my own money to spend as I see fit." ALL money you have, is borrowed from someone else, UNTIL you pay back that someone else. Every cent you spend on Taco Bell, is your grandmother's money. When that car is paid off, it'll be your money. If you have a credit card, your income is not yours. It is the credit card company's. They are giving you permission to borrow it. That's what credit MEANS. It means, someone is giving you permission to borrow money for something, and you owe them, until you pay them back.

You do not HAVE your own money. You are in the negatives as far as ownership goes. You possess -17000. Minus 17000. So when you earn 500, and you give grandma 250, you do NOT possess the other 250. Instead, you now possess -16850. You possess less debt than you did before you gave her money.

You will continue to be in the hole, until you pay your way out of it. There is not one single cent that is yours, until she is paid off.

If you learn that ONE lesson in life, you'll stay out of jail and you'll have a CHANCE at some day owning a home. If you don't learn that lesson in life, now while you're still young and before you can destroy your credit rating, then you might as well just pack your bags and drag them to an alley and live in a cardboard box.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:41 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
there is a lot wrong going on right now and I may be putting my two weeks in soon. I am being taken advantage of and cannot work as much as I do for both jobs and can't cut my hours at BBB because then I don't have any money.
Huh. I thought everything was all rosy considering some of the other posts. Do we all need to brace ourselves for what's to come?

If this is the case, then you really need to hang on to your "extra" money right now. You might want to keep it to get your own place....otherwise, what will you do if you give two weeks? Move back in with your mom? I don't think all of us can take that!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
If feel you are being "taken advantage of" you do realize that there are options besides flat out quitting? It's called communicating or renegotiating. Just a few days ago you were telling us that one of the reasons you took this job was the lack of restrictions etc etc... and that all was well. How did we get from that to being taken advantage of so quickly? Oh, and working lots of hours that you get paid for is not being taken advantage of. It may suck sometimes to not have much of a social life but think of it as an opportunity to make more money and get out of debt faster....

And frankly, now that you owe money you'll have to consider your options pretty carefully. Your very first obligation is that $250 every single month. That gets paid first. Can you afford rent and food and stuff after that? Keep in mind you are getting lots of extra hours at BB&B right now because of the holidays. That may not continue.

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-15-2010 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting