Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:53 PM

968 posts, read 2,617,559 times

Advertisements

who hates minivans but believes they are necessary?

i drive the minivan all the time in my family because its capable of driving my two parents grandmother and brother. i don't mind driving it at all, (the 400 horses help) i get poked fun at, and i've even seen my dad get poked fun at sometimes by his friends.

my dad, grandma and i have our own cars, (minivan is designated as mom's) but i hear parents complaining about their minivans, just curious who likes or dislikes their people-mover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,406,992 times
The only reason I HATE minivans...is the people who drive them seem to FORGET that the rest of the world has doors that open out and dont slide.

I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES a minivan parks next to me and then when I go to get my kids back in the carseats I cant, because the van parked so close to me that I can't open my door.

Of course, they have doors that slide open so they have room....but me?

Nope, I have to pull my car into another space just to be able to get my kids BACK in the car properly....

(sigh) haha okay vent over!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:12 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,379,766 times
My minivan is a necessary evil. With three kids who are involved in a myriad of activities I need something large enough for them, their gear and their friends. Our Honda Odyssey fits the bill and is more affordable than a Suburban.

However, I hate backing up in it and I'm glad I live in a rural town where I don't have to worry much about parallel parking. The worst part, however, is that it does not have four-wheel drive and my house is at the top of a steep, curvey, gravel driveway in an area where it snows for six months each year. I've lost count of how many times I've gotten stuck or slid into my culvert and had to be towed out.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:17 PM

623 posts, read 1,599,922 times
People who say they hate minivans usually fall into 2 categories:

1. Those who don't have kids and vow never to buy such a vehicle ( only to later purchase one later in life because they can't fit the pack n play, stroller, etc... in the suv they bought)

2. Those who can afford to purchase and drive a full size SUV. By full size I mean a Yukon XL, Ford Expedition etc....

We are looking at purchasing a SUV the next time mainly because our kids are getting older and we don't have all the crap to carry around. But you can't beat the convenience and affordablity of a minivan. For a family its hands down its the most convenient vehicle for a family. IMO.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,905,416 times
I love my Sienna- it's great for hauling the kids around, it's comfy, roomy, decent gas mileage etc. We bought the "top of the line" model and it was almost 15k cheaper than the top of the line Suburban model.

I think people dislike mini-vans because they're often attached to parenthood- which is not a "cool" thing.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM

22,381 posts, read 47,363,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post

I think people dislike mini-vans because they're often attached to parenthood- which is not a "cool" thing.

IDK - I think parenthood is VERY cool, but minivans are not.

They were a necessary evil when our kids were growing up, though. I am glad I do not have one any more....

Old 07-27-2010, 02:38 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,391,995 times
I loved my minivans, unfortunately we downsized a while back and whenever I see one that reminds me of mine on the road, it brings back some pretty good memories. It was great to throw things in and not have to arrange things perfectly for trips etc. I do miss mine (and our other vans that preceded it) but we do get better mileage w/ the car we have now.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:42 PM

812 posts, read 1,901,956 times
i love my minivan! Sits up high enough but not too high for my short self. The kids can climb in on their own. i can have a 3rd row IF I need it. Better gas mileage. Easier to park because of the sliding doors and not as wide as an similar passenger SUV.

I like being able to split the captains chairs to separate the kids-none of that stop touching me drama! (for now while they are little) I am not willing to give up the power sliding doors--especially with full hands and inclement weather! Just wish it had AWD/4WD sometimes in bad weather in our sorta mtny terrain.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,905,200 times
Mama's Odyssey ( Maudey) is my best friend. I love driving up tall as I am almost 6 feet tall. My 8 year olds still have their booster seats and they like riding up tall too.

But the best part is all the room in the back. I am a very active gardener and I can haul all sorts of materials(in sacks) , lots of plants and equipment. I almost use Maudey as a pick up truck.

We looked at every vehicle possible before we adopted our girls. We could have afforded anything we wanted too but we chose Honda Odyssey for the room, safety and the sliding doors. That was almost 8 years ago and I wouldn't change as thing.

BTW I think parenting is Very Cool......

Old 07-27-2010, 02:46 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,738,875 times
I love my minivan. I am on my second and I got the first years before we had children. It came in handy whenever you bought something big at the store. I brought our new sofa home in my minivan. Also I never have to fold the stroller which is a pain because you have to take everything out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting