Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 09:23 AM

492 posts, read 636,047 times

Advertisements

Strollers, especially in crowded places, are very hard to maneuver. I found that you can get through a mall or amusement park much faster without having to try and get a cart through the crowd. At a place like Disneyland, it means you can hit tons of rides or photo ops in the morning, go back to the hotel for a nap and swimming during the truly crowded afternoons, and head back for more rides and shows around 5pm. Worked with my kids from 2yrs on.

My kids were young when carpenter pants were in. The youngest liked hanging onto the hammer loop on my shorts. She didn't have to reach up for my hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,746,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You don't know that. Not that it matters what other people think, and not that you should care what other people think, but how would you know?
I don't care what others think of my parenting choices. I wouldn't know because I don't keep track of how others look at me. A dirty look from some judgmental person isn't going to change the way I parent.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,425,591 times
I saw a couple yesterday (beautiful Denver day) pushing a dog in a children's dual stroller. I thought to myself "hmm, what is the point of walking your dog if the dog doesn't walk".

then I thought "hmm, silly. . .but maybe the dog enjoys it? who knows"

and I moved on

maybe you should do the same.

My toddler won't ride in a stroller, but he will ride in a wagon. And if your telling me a 5-6 year old should have the endurance of a 37 year old I call you full of #@#@.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I see this way too much. People pushing 5 or 6 year olds in strollers. I'm not talking kids with disabilities, but "regular" kids who are of an age where they should be walking.

Once I was past toddlerhood, maybe age 3, I was not pushed in a stroller. Were you? I learned to walk with my parents, and not wander off or lag behind.

I remember being 4 and walking around large family amusement parks, the boardwalk, stores, etc. with my parents, sometimes holding their hand, sometimes just walking alongside. If I got tired and whiny, tough, I was big enough to walk and I had to keep up. If I kept whining, we went home.

Now there are kids who appear to be kindergarteners or even first graders being pushed around in strollers, and the parents say "it's just easier." They push the kids around in these huge strollers, sometimes 2-seaters, and knock stuff over in stores, and ride up the backs of your ankles if you're unfortunate enough to be in front of them.

If your kid can't handle walking around Disney World, or the mall, or the grocery store, then don't take him there until he can.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,302,931 times
I agree with the original poster. I think it enables laziness on the part of the kids, who are fully capable of walking for themselves. Why should I have to push Jr around if he can do it himself? If a child is old enough to walk, they're old enough to get off their butt and carry their OWN selves around.

I agree with the "mind your own business" aspect in terms of it would be wrong to go around and gripe to a parent's face about this. But that doesn't mean you can't have an opinion about things and express it in the right way. And I say, ranting online in a forum under an alias? That's totally appropriate. I think sometimes parents--and I am one, by the way--are a little too sensitive in terms of wanting approval & validation for EVERYTHING they do, even if maybe some of it is wrong or misguided. Sorry, but you're not going to get approval & validation for all of your choices, and so long as someone isn't pointing their finger in your face, scolding you and calling you unfit etc just because you do things a little differently than they agree with (any of that I would agree with putting such a busybody in their place), you need to stop being so touchy just because someone has an opinion and expresses it somewhat, or gives you a little bit of advice that's only meant to help, not meant to be ugly and mean about it.

And again, ranting in an online forum under an alias--heck, it's the #1 reason to even have Internet in the first place.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I saw a couple yesterday (beautiful Denver day) pushing a dog in a children's dual stroller. I thought to myself "hmm, what is the point of walking your dog if the dog doesn't walk".

then I thought "hmm, silly. . .but maybe the dog enjoys it? who knows"

and I moved on

maybe you should do the same.

My toddler won't ride in a stroller, but he will ride in a wagon. And if your telling me a 5-6 year old should have the endurance of a 37 year old I call you full of #@#@.
Well, if that isn't a Denver story, pushing your dog in a stroller!

I recall once when my then 3 year old daughter's play group went on a trip to the Denver zoo. I brought my stroller along, which was meant for one but would hold two. One of the mothers seriously upbraided me and made some comment to my daughter about being a "big girl" yada, yada. You know the type, I'm sure. Well, guess whose daughter was sharing the stroller at the end of the day? Being the nice person I am, I didn't say anything, but I sure thought it. BTW, my DD didn't ride in it that much, just for a couple of breaks.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:44 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I personally don't get why anyone would care about how long someone else's child was pushed in a stroller.

I felt that my kids were ready to move out of a stroller by the time they turned 5. Other people never used strollers. Yet others kept their kids in strollers until age 6. I doubt that now that my kids are in middle/high school you could pick out which of their friends were in strollers until they were age 6 and which were out by age 4 or 5. It truly doesn't matter. Kids can have different experiences and grow up just as normal as the next child.

It's really not your business.

It will be the taxpayers' and insurance companies' business when obese children who have no appropriate level of physical fitness require remedial or medical care.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:07 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,812,765 times
Strollers don't tire you out. Being tired is a bad thing. So kids 5 or 6 in strollers is a GOOD thing.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:13 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,857,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It will be the taxpayers' and insurance companies' business when obese children who have no appropriate level of physical fitness require remedial or medical care.
That's pretty amusing. #1 is a college football player. In high school he played 4 sports. #2 is in marching band and plays lacrosse. #3 plays football, wrestles and plays lacrosse. All of them are extremely fit. The use of strollers was an inconsequential blip-but nice try.

Whether a parent uses a stroller or not is not going to have any effect on obesity rates.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,220,695 times
I guess I should start forcing my son to exercise 24/7 in front of people because if he takes a 10 minute break and sits down, they will assume he has a future of obesity! I assume most of you are jogging in place when reading this forum too right?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 AM

451 posts, read 768,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
Strollers don't tire you out. Being tired is a bad thing. So kids 5 or 6 in strollers is a GOOD thing.
5 or 6, at the end of a long day at a theme park, I can understand. What I don't understand is the 10 to 12 year olds I've seen in strollers at Disneyland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting