Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I hate those big stupid strollers they have for rentals at the mall, the ones that are made to look like big cars and taxi's, complete with the steering wheel. They weigh about 100 lbs and are hard to push, and of course, because they look fun, my daughter always wanted to ride in it. After 3, I told her they were for babies and she was a big girl. She now strolls past those 'baby strollers' with a contemptuous glance.

I don't have a problem with people using strollers however long it works for them. Unless the kid is never allowed on their own two feet, I don't see how it can do any harm. When I see a kid who's feet are dragging on the ground in a stroller, I do think it's a bit strange, but to each his own.
Yeah. I only use the "mall strollers" once when she was about 3 and we were out much longer than expected. She was getting really tired and my bags were getting too heavy to carry (and carry her since she was getting so tired), so I got one of those strollers. Never again.

My bad experiences were with my own stroller which wasn't huge, but still a pain to have to try to navigate around giant groups of people who feel the need to walk 6 across and not move when other people are trying to get around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM

538 posts, read 1,521,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I was the OP and my point was about people who push large kids in strollers and ram them into people, store displays, etc. I was one of the people getting rammed by strollers at a Christmas light show, and the kids in the strollers were practically in middle school.
I get rammed into by parents (and silbings) pushing strollers with infants and newborns in them. Age doesn't make a difference. So, again, why does it matter their age to you?

And how the hell do you know for a fact they the kids do not have a disability? Do you ask them? They probably wouldn't tell you anyway, since they don't need to.

If you get rammed by a stroller, handle it civily, regardless of kids' ages, disabilities, or lack thereof.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:16 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
hmmm... I say who cares too.
We went to Disney last year with an 8 yr old & a 4 year old..... we rented a stroller for everyday we were there. It got hot, alot of people, standing in lines,etc.... who cares if the poor kids wanted to sit down once in awhile in the stroller?
We saw it all over Disney. We don't do it here at home, but when there are circumstances like that, it doesn't bother me. Better than listening to them whine & we had someplace to put all our bags,etc.. when they weren't sitting in it!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:26 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Of course I handle it in a civil manner, but I do speak up.

Really, you need to read this whole thread to see that I've already addressed every single thing you bring up. But it's really stupid that this thread has gone on so long, and people revived it once it died, so I wouldn't recommend reading it all.

My points were:
1. Anyone pushing a stoller with a kid of any age in it who rams into me, forces crowds to part for them in an entitled manner, or knocks into store store displays, is wrong, and I do speak up to them, pointing out how rude they are. I do this because:
A. I hate when people are so "entitled" that their needs impinge on the rights of others, including myself.
B. On multiple occasions, when I have said something, others in the immediate area have said thanks and that they agree. Once I even got applause.
C. It might not change the person's behavior and sense of entitlement at all, but at least it brings to their attention that there are other people who exist, and the world does not revolve around them.
D. It makes me feel better to say something, so I can let it go and not feel pissed off. I do not need an ulcer or high blood pressure. I do not yell, I do not curse, but I say in an appropriate manner what I think of them.

2. If a parent pushing a kid who looks much too big for a stroller does this, they will incur more of my venom (still civil and appropriate, yet maybe more sarcastic) unless they fall into #3.

3. If the kid seems to have a disability, or there is even a doubt, I let it go. But most of the time, these kids are fine, as evidenced by talking and interacting normally, running around whenever they choose to get up from the stroller, and texting or playing computer games.

4. If a person is pushing a big kid in a stroller, like 5-7 years old, and they are not doing the stuff outlined in #1, I don't say anything to them, but I WILL think they are weird--I may laught at them, or post about them on facebook or a board like this. That's like having a 7 year old in diapers. Silly. We all see things we think are silly, and we have every right to rant about them online. Someone can even choose to rant about my rant; no problem.

5. Again, as it seems I must explain ad nauseum, if the kid has an obvious disability, or even the possibility of a disability, I understand, and that's NOT what I was posting about.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Of course I handle it in a civil manner, but I do speak up.

Really, you need to read this whole thread to see that I've already addressed every single thing you bring up. But it's really stupid that this thread has gone on so long, and people revived it once it died, so I wouldn't recommend reading it all.

My points were:
1. Anyone pushing a stoller with a kid of any age in it who rams into me, forces crowds to part for them in an entitled manner, or knocks into store store displays, is wrong, and I do speak up to them, pointing out how rude they are. I do this because:
A. I hate when people are so "entitled" that their needs impinge on the rights of others, including myself.
B. On multiple occasions, when I have said something, others in the immediate area have said thanks and that they agree. Once I even got applause.
C. It might not change the person's behavior and sense of entitlement at all, but at least it brings to their attention that there are other people who exist, and the world does not revolve around them.
D. It makes me feel better to say something, so I can let it go and not feel pissed off. I do not need an ulcer or high blood pressure. I do not yell, I do not curse, but I say in an appropriate manner what I think of them.

2. If a parent pushing a kid who looks much too big for a stroller does this, they will incur more of my venom (still civil and appropriate, yet maybe more sarcastic) unless they fall into #3.

3. If the kid seems to have a disability, or there is even a doubt, I let it go. But most of the time, these kids are fine, as evidenced by talking and interacting normally, running around whenever they choose to get up from the stroller, and texting or playing computer games.

4. If a person is pushing a big kid in a stroller, like 5-7 years old, and they are not doing the stuff outlined in #1, I don't say anything to them, but I WILL think they are weird--I may laught at them, or post about them on facebook or a board like this. That's like having a 7 year old in diapers. Silly. We all see things we think are silly, and we have every right to rant about them online. Someone can even choose to rant about my rant; no problem.

5. Again, as it seems I must explain ad nauseum, if the kid has an obvious disability, or even the possibility of a disability, I understand, and that's NOT what I was posting about.
Remind me not to move to PA. I don't see this kind of behavior around here.

Usually it is the other way around and people are constantly stepping right in front of strollers and coming to a sudden stop, or walking head on towards them and not moving a bit to the side even though it is much easier for them or it would make the stroller go around them on the left (walk on the right people!). I have a feeling these people are the same ones that will cut off a semi in traffic and come to a sudden stop expecting the semi with a much heavier load to be able to stop as quickly as them.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Remind me not to move to PA. I don't see this kind of behavior around here.

Usually it is the other way around and people are constantly stepping right in front of strollers and coming to a sudden stop, or walking head on towards them and not moving a bit to the side even though it is much easier for them or it would make the stroller go around them on the left (walk on the right people!). I have a feeling these people are the same ones that will cut off a semi in traffic and come to a sudden stop expecting the semi with a much heavier load to be able to stop as quickly as them.
I live in PA. Trust me, I do NOT see the type of behavior TracySam describes.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:46 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Then you must not go to Reading Terminal Market, King of Prussia Mall, Willow Grove Mall, Doylestown boro, New Hope boro, Peddler's Village, Longwood Gardens, or over in NJ, to any shopping center in the Princeton area, or any of the upscale shops in Marlton. This behavior is all over the place.
PA is a big place, and as we established earlier in this thread, the problem is most common in upscale shopping areas.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Then you must not go to Reading Terminal Market, King of Prussia Mall, Willow Grove Mall, Doylestown boro, New Hope boro, Peddler's Village, Longwood Gardens, or over in NJ, to any shopping center in the Princeton area, or any of the upscale shops in Marlton. This behavior is all over the place.
PA is a big place, and as we established earlier in this thread, the problem is most common in upscale shopping areas.

Yes, I'm sure that's the problem. I've shopped quite a bit, both as a couple with my husband and in a family unit with our children, in Philadelphia (yes RTM and KoP) as well as other upscale areas. I've *never* encountered the people you are speaking about. I think you are misinterpreting things.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, I'm sure that's the problem. I've shopped quite a bit, both as a couple with my husband and in a family unit with our children, in Philadelphia (yes RTM and KoP) as well as other upscale areas. I've *never* encountered the people you are speaking about. I think you are misinterpreting things.
Or she is one of the ones that does the sudden stop in front of strollers because she expects them to just go around her.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Or she is one of the ones that does the sudden stop in front of strollers because she expects them to just go around her.
I was thinking that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting