U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
1,820 posts, read 4,062,205 times
Reputation: 1909

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I'm sorry, but I guess I don't understand why ANYONE wants to walk around all day in the heat at Disney! After 2 hours I would need to be in a stroller myself! Why do people take their young children to a theme park for an entire day? Is it just to get your moneys worth? Why not wait til your kids are older so they are capable of walking around and actually enjoying themselves?

On another note, why it IS such big deal is the fact that this country is in an obesity epidemic. This whole philosophy fosters and perpetuates the idea that it's ok to not have to be uncomfortable. A person is meant to WALK! A kid can walk! Someone earlier mentioned using a stoller to push their 5 year old to school because they got tired....really? How far are they walking? How about give them a scooter to push themselves on, or they ride a bike. Parents have lost common sense. You are creating children with a sense of entitlement who expect to never feel uncomfortable. They need their every whim catered to. They become selfish and unpleasant students, employees etc. They learn that Mommy and Daddy will do everything to make them happy. They believe that walking is a chore.

Parents in my neighborhood DRIVE their kids 2-3 blocks to school!!! Same principle. Instead of making your kid walk 2 blocks to the walking path to school, why not make them happy and drive all the way around, over a mile, and drop them off at the front door? And I'm sure that if it's happening here, it happens all around the country. It's ridiculous!


If anyone thinks that it's no one else's business what another parent does with their own kid, that may very well be true. But eventually, we all suffer the consequences. My kids get to play and hang around these brats. I get to have them at my house to deal with their superior attitudes. We all get to be "waited" on by servers in restaurants and stores that believe they are "above it all". In the mean time, our children get fatter and fatter because they don't walk/run around enough in their day to day world. Parents complain that "gym" class has been dropped at school, how's little Johnny going to get his exercise? How about just showing and demonstrating that life is about moving, walking, running, biking on a daily basis?

Rant over...
I can't speak for anyone else's reasons for doing anything they do, but you quoted my post w/ your response..
We went to Disney in November, so it was u usually hot there for that time of year... We walked for a long time, but my girls were tired, it was hot, we rented the stroller...
Not that I should have to justify, but again, you quoted my post w/ your post about obesity issues,etc...
My kids are well within their proper weight,etc.. My almost 11 yr old is tiny at 52lbs, my 7 yr old is 47 lbs..
They are both active in soccer, dance & 1 in softball. My oldest is in a "get moving club" her elementary school has 2x a week after school & we as their parents are both fairly active adults.
We eat healthy and we walk to school almost every day when the weather allows.
SO, again, not an issue in my family.
Just because people choose to rent strollers or use strollers for their post-toddler children, doesn't always mean they are lazy & that their kids are being set up for weight problems in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Back in MADISON Wi thank God!
1,047 posts, read 3,428,901 times
Reputation: 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So because that is the situation where you live, you assume it must be the same for everyone? Wow.

1) Our elementary bus leaves our neighborhood at 6.55am, arrives at school at 6.40am school starts at 7.55am.

2) The elementary kid does safety patrol 2 x a week before school, and needs to be there at 7.30am.

3) Elementary kid also does internal mail delivery before school 2 x a week at 7.30am.

4) We live 2 miles from the elementary school.

5) No sidewalks.

6) Very oppressive heat and humidity for quite a few months.

7) Middle schooler has either sport or band practice before school every morning.

8) We live 4 miles from the middle school.

9) Most days the middle schooler comes home on the bus, but school gets out at 4.10, he gets off the bus at 5pm, if he needs time for homework or sport, he comes home by car.

Questions?
not for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 AM
 
Location: Back in MADISON Wi thank God!
1,047 posts, read 3,428,901 times
Reputation: 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I might find it odd, but depending upon the age of the child and the time the parents need to leave for work, it might just be a personal choice due to timing. If the parent needs to leave to get to work on time and the child is 5 or 6 and has no one else to walk with, that could be an extenuating circumstance.
No, these Mothers do not go to work outside the house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Back in MADISON Wi thank God!
1,047 posts, read 3,428,901 times
Reputation: 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I find it difficult to believe that you can't think of a single reason kids might not walk to school. I guess that would require thinking. I can think of several and it wasn't even difficult.
You're wrong, I can think of lots of reasons:

they don't want to
it's easier to have parents drive them
parents find it easier not to argue with them so they drive them
they think 3 blocks is too far to walk
parents are afraid they'll be snatched up by a kidnapper
parents are too lazy to walk with them
here's a good one I heard- daughter didn't want to dirty her new shoes by walking
its too cold
it's windy
its hot
its humid
some other kid might bother me
would have to leave 5 minutes earlier
backpack is heavy
just ate breakfast and might get a stomach ache

There you go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
1,149 posts, read 3,859,201 times
Reputation: 1121
The amount of blanket assumptions being made in this thread about the current and future prospects for children based on if their parents allow them to be in a stroller as a toddler is astounding.

Really, don't ASSume. And just because a child can stay awake and active sans stroller (funny, no age was mentioned) all day at disney for 13+ hours doesn't mean every kid even SHOULD. My three year old and younger kids would need at least one full nap in there of 3+ hours on a NORMAL day. Damn right I would use a stroller (and likely not have them out there in the heat, should I be side-eyeing parents who bring their toddlers when it is 95+ degrees out?), if not bringing them back for a full nap.

When I was young, self-centered, and stupid (as we all were at some point in life) I remember seeing morbidly obese people in those electric carts at stores. In my mind, I would sneer at them. One day in my early 20s, I was driving with my husband and up ahead I saw another apparently obese person riding in one on the sidewalk, heading in our same direction. I made a comment - something about, "Ugh, people need to exercise, and not get to that point!"

At that point, we past the person... and I saw she had no legs.

I cannot begin to tell you how much that affected my outlook on things. As others have said, even with things as trivial as kids in strollers... don't assume. My kids are more active than any that I personally know, eat healthy... they use a stroller at times, for a myriad of reasons. I can guarantee you that if you assume they are lazy, you will be making a completely wrong ASSumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 AM
 
14,330 posts, read 10,648,052 times
Reputation: 17797
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
You're wrong, I can think of lots of reasons:

they don't want to
it's easier to have parents drive them
parents find it easier not to argue with them so they drive them

they think 3 blocks is too far to walk
parents are afraid they'll be snatched up by a kidnapper
parents are too lazy to walk with them
here's a good one I heard- daughter didn't want to dirty her new shoes by walking
its too cold
it's windy

its hot
its humid
some other kid might bother me
would have to leave 5 minutes earlier
backpack is heavy
just ate breakfast and might get a stomach ache


There you go!
Honestly. I could not care less if someone chooses to drive their kids to school. We do, and we have no good reason to. Just no good reason not to since we are all going the same direction... For all of a whopping two blocks. But if ever there was a list of reasons that scream "precious snowflake" this would be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 AM
 
Location: here
24,841 posts, read 30,867,312 times
Reputation: 32481
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
You're wrong, I can think of lots of reasons:

they don't want to
it's easier to have parents drive them
parents find it easier not to argue with them so they drive them
they think 3 blocks is too far to walk
parents are afraid they'll be snatched up by a kidnapper
parents are too lazy to walk with them
here's a good one I heard- daughter didn't want to dirty her new shoes by walking
its too cold
it's windy
its hot
its humid
some other kid might bother me
would have to leave 5 minutes earlier
backpack is heavy
just ate breakfast and might get a stomach ache

There you go!
Clearly you missed the point. Not everyone lives within walking distance to their school. Some parents have to get kids to multiple schools and can't walk each on of them to their respective school. The point is, there is a whole big world outside of your neighborhood, and not everyone lives on your kind of schedule in your type of neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
1,820 posts, read 4,062,205 times
Reputation: 1909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Clearly you missed the point. Not everyone lives within walking distance to their school. Some parents have to get kids to multiple schools and can't walk each on of them to their respective school. The point is, there is a whole big world outside of your neighborhood, and not everyone lives on your kind of schedule in your type of neighborhood.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Asheville NC
1,772 posts, read 1,423,477 times
Reputation: 5004
Default LOL in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
You're wrong, I can think of lots of reasons:



daughter didn't want to dirty her new shoes by walking
its too cold
it's windy
its hot
its humid
some other kid might bother me

backpack is heavy
just ate breakfast and might get a stomach ache

!
In certain situations these are actually valid reasons. You do not know the child intimately, nor the parent's true reasons or feelings on the subject. You sound terribly self-righteous to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM
 
13,239 posts, read 8,115,422 times
Reputation: 25668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Clearly you missed the point. Not everyone lives within walking distance to their school.
Clearly you missed the point. LK was talking specifically about kids who lived within walking distance (2-3 blocks) from school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top