U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 PM

28,192 posts, read 21,352,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
My parents always made me walk, but then again the bulk of my generation wasn't overweight by kindergarten.
My kids were in kindergarten within the last decade. I'd say 99% of the kids were not overweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Are you kidding? Lol.

I've done entire moves in that kind of weather lugging all my belongings on my back, back and forth, on crowded public transit, walking a total of at least that much.

And the moment a five year old throws a tantrum would be the moment I threatened that we would leave and go home right that second.

Like I said before, I'm not talking about special needs kids or injured kids. Just healthy capable ones.

Strollers are a poor substitute for discipline.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/d2/d272...bbb01aa4db.jpg

Old 01-23-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
My parents took me to Disney World when I was five, I walked and somehow managed to live through it.
I went to Disney in the early 80s when I was a wee one. My parents rented a stroller for me.

Then again, they understood that little bodies get more tired faster than adults. They also didn't have this weird thing about treating their child with compassion and acknowledging she may just be tired.

They weren't trying to win any Best Person Ever contests either come to think of it.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:48 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,331,908 times
Quote:
My parents took me to Disney World when I was five, I walked and somehow managed to live through it.
You might not knownow that the parks are bigger now....and just because you lived threw it doesn't mean your parents enjoyed any of it.

Is that your standard for everything...you lived through it?

Old 01-24-2015, 03:49 PM

3,154 posts, read 3,177,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You might not knownow that the parks are bigger now....and just because you lived threw it doesn't mean your parents enjoyed any of it.

Is that your standard for everything...you lived through it?
I lived through it, too. Actually, I enjoyed it. However, I was 6, not 5, and we only went to Magic Kingdom, and I think the park was maybe half the size that it is now. If that. Most of the other parks didn't exist. We didn't really hurry anywhere, either, because they didn't have nearly as many rides to go on. I think we spent most of our time by the pool. It was all very different then - I didn't even recognize it when I went back last year.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:15 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,005,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It's not really reasonable to think a 5 year old can walk that many miles. The parks require walking - fast walking - for something like 6 miles a day. They can't do it. Many adults can't do it (hence the popularity of the motorized scooters, sold alongside the strollers).

Plus, when you pay 10K for a week at Disney, it's so your kid can have a magical experience, not so you can torture them and then "discipline" them.

You have no idea. You clearly don't understand anything about kids.

And I get the impression you haven't been to Disney as an adult, either.
I don't know about that. I took my son at four years old to Disney and he did just fine walking all over without a stroller. Depends on the kid and how motivated he is.

And the popularity of those motorized scooters is because we have become too sedentary and our modern diets are so poor that people have all sorts of ailments that hinder their mobility as a result.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:32 AM

1 posts, read 734 times
Thumbs down Food For Thought For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I see this way too much. People pushing 5 or 6 year olds in strollers. I'm not talking kids with disabilities, but "regular" kids who are of an age where they should be walking.

Once I was past toddlerhood, maybe age 3, I was not pushed in a stroller. Were you? I learned to walk with my parents, and not wander off or lag behind.

I remember being 4 and walking around large family amusement parks, the boardwalk, stores, etc. with my parents, sometimes holding their hand, sometimes just walking alongside. If I got tired and whiny, tough, I was big enough to walk and I had to keep up. If I kept whining, we went home.

Now there are kids who appear to be kindergarteners or even first graders being pushed around in strollers, and the parents say "it's just easier." They push the kids around in these huge strollers, sometimes 2-seaters, and knock stuff over in stores, and ride up the backs of your ankles if you're unfortunate enough to be in front of them.

If your kid can't handle walking around Disney World, or the mall, or the grocery store, then don't take him there until he can.
************************************************** **********************************

I appreciate that you seem to have been thoughtful with respect to not insulting families or the actual child with a disability, as compared to what you called "regular" kids. HOWEVER, how do YOU know, just by sight, that a child who looks "regular", is not disabled in some way? My little boy, three years old (but, very tall and often mistaken for 5), has no outward characteristics, no physical attributes, nothing that would indicate that he has disabilities, yet...he is Autistic. Combined with that, he has additional challanges that do not lend themselves to allowing him to walk long distances, or long periods of time. In addition, I happen to be the only parent he has, and I am currently fighting breast cancer, and a rare lung disorder. So, if I were to reply "it's just easier', it could mean, that I get easily winded, cannot wrangle him as well as I used to, and that using a stroller helps keep both of us safe and sound while out and about. That old addage, "Never judge a book by it's cover", definitely holds true. For all you know, one of those children could have just undergone a serious round of chemo for cancer, or perhaps a surgical procedure, or any number of unrecognizably obvious issues on the surface. Never take the abilities and trials of another for granted. Be a little more thoughtful about what the real reason behind an older child being in a stroller might mean. I say...that sometimes the greatest handicaps in life- are seeing the world around you so singularly. I should also mention, that the idea of waiting until he is old enough, or capable enough UNTIL and or BEFORE I take him anywhere, didn't occur to me. My tomorrows may not come. I think we are both entitled and deserving of being wherever we want to be. The one part of your post that I agree with... was about what would happen if you whined too much. Follow that mindset the next time you want to whine through a post of complaints!

Last edited by LauraNJacob; 03-20-2015 at 02:46 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 03:26 AM

15,273 posts, read 13,147,331 times
Many reasons why a child four plus in a pushchair, it is to old for a child with no disabilities though... what annoys me more is a child who passes my window in the morning on her way to school sucking a big pink dummy.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:40 AM

38,690 posts, read 90,558,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Many reasons why a child four plus in a pushchair, it is to old for a child with no disabilities though... what annoys me more is a child who passes my window in the morning on her way to school sucking a big pink dummy.
Wow, that sounds sick. Did you call child protective services??

Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wow, that sounds sick. Did you call child protective services??
The poster is from England. They call pacifiers dummies there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting